Johnny2Bad

Re: Cost of importing equipments from USA
« Reply #20 on: 5 May 2015, 07:13 am »
double post

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #21 on: 5 May 2015, 07:40 am »
Johnny,

I was not aware of your method.  Can you tell me more about these brokers?  How do I find one?

The problem with your solution is Purlator.  In downtown Toronto, they are abysmal.  Look at their online reviews and its a wonder they are still in business if they weren't subsidized by Canada Post.   They don't even try to actually deliver the package, they just leave slips on your door without ringing the door bell.  I have called and complained about this 5 times and nothing changes and then I am required to drive to Etobicoke to pick up, which isn't even in Toronto.  Even you are really squeeky, you can complain and get them to leave it at one of their retail shops near your place, but why isn't this the typical practice?

Josh

Purolator works well here (Saskatchewan; 5% GST + 5% PST), that's why Percy H Davis (my broker) uses them. I pick up at the Purolator airport terminal (not the main airport) in Saskatoon, no line ups, in and out in less than 5 mins. But this is between you and your broker ... you are the client. They will get it to you anyway you order them to.

Look in the Yellow Pages, or Google, "Customs Broker". Don't be afraid to ask questions and pick the one that works for you.

In theory you can also broker your own shipment. Trouble is Fedex & UPS will probably deliver to a bonded warehouse within a few hours of pickup, and broker the shipment electronically before midnight. So you are too late to clear it. Worked good a decade ago.

nik_ash

« Reply #22 on: 6 Feb 2022, 07:10 pm »
Thanks guys for the replies.

The UPS broker's fees are just RIDICULOUS! They just like rob you right at your own door! I brought some small items once for $19.98 + shipping, total was about $30. Their broker's fee was almost the same as the total price. Plus tax everything, I end up paid almost $90 for a $19.98 item!

Someone said I should have asked UPS first for the fees. But it was not my choice of using them it was the seller. It just made me so nervous buying from the other side of the boarder.

People also said USPS has an agreement with Canada Post and only charge $5 flat fee. Anyone heard about that or used them?

That's correct. The brokerage and service fee are beyond comprehension and typically make the import unviable.  My personal experience - For a RIVA speaker my brother-in-law shipped DC to TOR via Fedex, their brokerage/ service fee was more than $50 plus taxes etc which were applied by Border Canada.