All the best to Al!

John Chapman

• http://www.bentaudio.com
All the best to Al!
« on: 1 Jan 2009, 11:50 pm »
Hello!

I know given his announcement today that Al likely did not want to get a string of posts into the forum but I could not help myself.

Al is one of the nicest guys in or outside the audio biz that I have had the pleasure of dealing with. He built great stuff and really put his heart (and sweat - lots of sweat......) into everything he's built.

All the best AL and here's to a new year and to a bright future in everything you do!

Thansk!

John

TerryO

Re: All the best to Al!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2009, 12:15 am »
Hello!

I know given his announcement today that Al likely did not want to get a string of posts into the forum but I could not help myself.

Al is one of the nicest guys in or outside the audio biz that I have had the pleasure of dealing with. He built great stuff and really put his heart (and sweat - lots of sweat......) into everything he's built.

All the best AL and here's to a new year and to a bright future in everything you do!

Thansk!

John

John,
You've said it better than I could have. I always looked forward to seeing Al, he's a pretty special person and his RAW Fests were some of the most enjoyable times I've spent.
I join John in wishing Al the very best, not only for the New Year, but in all the years to come!

Best Regards,
TerryO

mca

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2009, 04:53 am »
I have to agree with John and Terry, Al is a heck of a guy. I bought a pair of HT8's from him a few years back and he drove from Canada to deliver them to me in Seattle. He had the crates apart and the speakers together and in the house in no time. I still have the speakers (a record for me!) and they are going strong and still sounding great. I'm sad to hear that RAW is closing up shop but wish Al luck with whatever he is moving on to.

klh

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2009, 05:13 am »
I never purchased from Al but have a tremendous amount of respect for him. Al... good luck where ever life takes you next.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2009, 05:52 am »
Well said John.   

Al, don't become a stranger.   I'm expecting to see you around now and then even though you won't be sniffing MDF dust and fighting the shipping companies for insurance money.

Here is wishing nothing but good things for you and yours for 2009!

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:01 am »

Very sorry to see Al stop shop.

Even though I never purchased from Al I did come very close. My buddy did buy a set from him based on the sound of my OB 5s, I am sorry to see him stop. Al had some great things in store and I was looking forward to seeing it come to life.

Your business will be missed by many for sure.

Best to you Al.   8)

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2009, 06:49 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

Snegrah

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2009, 03:38 pm »
WHAT????? 

I bought two of his speakers HT3 and the new TL7.  Still have them both and they're great products.  AND, I wasn't done getting other speakers from him!!!!  He's been helpful and informative and always took the time to explain things to me.  He is one of the "good guys" in this industry. 

Wishing you the best for you and your family. 

God Bless,

Tom

RJR

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2009, 03:56 pm »
While I've known about this for some time I still find it hard to accept.  Al and I connected shortly after I started CSS and he was the first business contact when I moved to BC.

We've done many things together and I can't imagine that I would be where I am without his help and friendship.

Thanks Al for everything and I hope that with one less thing on your plate you and your family will be able to establish a new less stressful lifestyle.

Best wishes for 2009 and beyond!

Bob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2009, 04:32 pm »
Wow, very sad to hear you have had to close up shop Al. I wish you and yours the very best in whatever new ventures you seek.

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2009, 05:54 pm »
I had the pleasure of working with Al when I reviewed his HT3's...his passion and love for what he was doing were obvious in the first 5 minutes of talking with him and his products sounded very good to me.

Best of everything on wherever your journey takes you next Al !

Peace, Art

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2009, 09:37 pm »
I sent an Al a personal e-mail earlier but...ah...we lost one of the great guys on New Years day, but alas I am sure you made the best choice for yourself and for your family. Al is truly a gentleman and was very, very courteous to us DIY'ers.

Best of luck to ya,

Anand.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2009, 09:39 pm »
I have personally had excellent dealings with Al, including hosting 3 sets of his speakers into my home around 2 years ago, so that a group of folks around the GTA (Toronto) could get an ear on his designs.

Great guy, I will miss him!

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2009, 06:19 am »
I would also like to join in wishing Al the best. He may not remember it (it was pre-AC days) but I bought some Tang Band drivers from him way back when, which became my first pair of DIY speakers.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2009, 08:51 am »
If Al can do anything half as good as he designs and builds speakers - he will do very well. 

In late 2007 I bought the prototypes of the original OB2X.  I couldn't believe it when he announced they were discontinued.  A few local friends with far superior systems turned an envious eye against me when they heard my humble little system.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2009, 10:32 pm »
Al, I wish you and your family the best.  I'm sure that you ended RAW due to the ROI aspect, but I'll miss our conversations and your observations about drivers and their manufacturers.  You were a true gentleman and those of us who knew you will miss you.
Good luck out there! :thumb:

A Beer

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2009, 07:46 pm »
Al went the extra mile to design a set of crossovers for my "mini Alpha surrounds" and they continue to sound great!

I'm not going to say bye because I hope to go for a coffee with you some time.

I wish you and your family all the best Al.

Keith

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2009, 07:53 pm »
Al and I go back several years and I'm sorry to hear that he's leaving the business. I pray the best for you and your family.

Zero

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2009, 08:01 pm »
I had a good convo with Al when I purchased a set of HT1's back in 06'.  They were great sounding mini-monitors!  It's a shame that he's left the business...    I just hope that he finds success in a field he is passionate in.

RAW

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2009, 05:13 pm »
First off.
I would like to thank all of you for your support in the past and comments you have made to me.I take this to heart. Thank you all.

With a lot of issues we had to make a choice and the choice was to close RAW Acoustics. This came as the best thing we could do for my family.

PS
John R
Yes I remember your order . I took your PRE order for the new W3-593S in June of 2002 when I first brought Tangband drivers into North America with my company Nuera Acoustics and you paid $11.58 each :)

They are still in you gallery I see then rotate in from time to time.

I also had the W3-593S made into a round frame from the pin cushion frame like the W3-593S.This new driver I had made was the W3-871S became a very popular fullrange driver I do believe :)

Thanks again to you all and I wish you all the best.

Al Wooley

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jan 2009, 05:28 pm »
Good luck Al and wish you the best.  Get well and see you around AC.