minimum power amp for HT3

R_burke

minimum power amp for HT3
« on: 7 Dec 2008, 02:33 am »
Didn't end up selling my HT3s, so now I am going to use them in a back room for when the boss kicks me out of the living room.

How much power is needed for them, both in a tube and SS configuration?

Low volume listening in a small room

mcgsxr

Re: minimum power amp for HT3
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2008, 02:54 pm »
I am sure that Al can give you some good advice, but I will share what I experienced.

I used an 8 watt single ended EL84 amp - OK, but not loud enough at all.

I used a 40wpc gainclone - better, but for me not loud enough.

I used a 100wpc Panny receiver.  Match made in heaven in my basement.

I typically use DIY 97db single driver speakers, so the 8wpc EL84 is my reference, but no one expects that to work on a much lower sensitivity speaker - but it did, just not with enough guts for me.

markC

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2008, 03:16 pm »
From the time I spent with them I recall that they wanted lots of power to do what they were designed to do. I had them hooked up to my 300 watt hybrid mono blocks and they wanted it all. They just started to break up @ full volume with a 0.8 gain pre-amp.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2008, 04:12 pm »
How much power is needed for them, both in a tube and SS configuration?

Low volume listening in a small room

By low volume in a small room if you mean less than 80 db, you'll be fine with as little as two watts.  There are many great modestly powered amps that won't break the bank that should work just fine for your application.

RAW

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2008, 04:59 pm »
keeping the HT3  :thumb:

Power well here I demo using the Little Dot T as a fact the same amp that was used in the StereoMojo amp shoot out.http://www.stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm

Why well I wanted a intergrated amp that would put 95% of the public into a sweet amp for the money $299.99 for this little gem and worth every penny.Is the amp the best NO but lets get real the intergrated amp is only $299.00 and a source and the amp has a remote as well.Throw in the tube stage the amp again for $299.00

http://www.obadimports.com/catalog/item/4377302/4344398.htm
Obad Imports is pleased to bring you the brand new Little Dot T_100 by Little Tube. This amp features the Tripath TA2022 chip & outputs 2x100W @ 4 ohms, 2x60 @ 8 ohms. Every Little Dot T_100 sold on Obad Imports also includes the Tube Pre-stage PCB with EF91/CV138  vacuum tubes. 

Little Dot T_100 Technical Specifications

* Based on the Tripath TA2022 Class T
    * Continuous Maximum Output: 2x100W @ 4 ohms, 2x60 @ 8 ohms
    * Frequency Response: 9 hz - 93 Khz (+/- 5db)
    * THD+N: 0.02%
    * Micro-chip switching from four different sources
    * 0 to -63 digital volume control (degree of distortion < 0.002%)
    * Samsung digital (VFD) display
    * Speaker surge protection: 200VA
    * Infrared remote control
    * Dimensions: 14"L x 10'W x 3"H
    * Weight: 7.5 kg (16.5 lbs)
    * Includes Upgraded Tube Pre-stage PCB with EF91/CV138 vacuum tubes

I drive the HT2i, HT3i,HT8i,Apex III,Apex LCR all with this amp no issues at all.SPL levels well more than I need to listening.

One thing is Obad the dealer for theses is close to me and have tried several attemps to get the large amp here to demo. Sasha (owner)said he would come by with the map and a few others to demo.Well 20 emails 10 phone calls and for some reason he stopped cold in his tracks? And now will not answer any emails or calls. Heck I have passed dozens of people his way and i can not get 10 minutes of his time to drop by for a demo on the 150 amp!! And he is 10 minutes from me.!!!!!!

Power for the HT3 requires a litle more power than the new HT3i.The new crossover gained a few SPL due to the simple orders used now on the mid and woofer.

Amps i have not listend to these but they just came out at top picks in latest""The Absolute Sound Mag""
Intergrated Amp
Cambridge Azur 540A V2 $499 (Generous dynamic head room more power than the 60w rating)
Rotel RA 1062 $699 (attacks are vividly imparted)
NAD C372 $899 ( tonal balance is quite nuetral)
PrimaLuna ProLogue one $1375 (best for high sensitivity speakers)
Tube Amp
Vincent Audio SP-331 $999 (vivid midrange)
PrimaLuna Prologue Five $1599 (grand soundstaging)

Power of the HT3 all depends on your listing levels you are use to personally the amp I am using is enough for me and the cost puts it in the what the heck why not try it list. ITS only $299 for the intergrated amp.

Icedsounds

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2008, 08:32 pm »
Got to check those prices again AL. Might be the poor canadian dollar or somebodys kid needs to go to collage. THe liitle dot t_100 (unavailable new) $499, and the t_150 is $899 now  :o. I think I may just have to sell my little dot t_150 the low price of $750

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2008, 02:44 am »
WHAT
Man a little increase is one thing but almost double the price.
Yes I see the 100 is now $499 from the previous $299.

Still a good deal for sure but before it was a steal :lol:

R_burke

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2008, 02:55 am »
WHAT
Man a little increase is one thing but almost double the price.
Yes I see the 100 is now $499 from the previous $299.

Still a good deal for sure but before it was a steal :lol:

Not an issue at this time, they aren't available at either price.

BTW, thanks for all of the other suggestions, the hunt begins....

RAW

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2008, 03:01 am »
Rob did you inquire?
Did Sasha say they were sold out? Last time I talked to him he said the inventory just across the boarder in Blaine was well over 200 units. :roll:

Yes the others could be interesting. The mag artical was the top rating for every catagory from cables to amps. interesting read.

Do not for get Bills AMP 3205 http://www.bellaextreme.com/BELLA3205MAIN.htm

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2008, 07:17 am »
This is a possibility,

http://grantfidelity.com/site/A-348+EL34+Tube+Amplifier

Be worth checking to see if they have any of the old A-34... IMHO a bit better sonically... simplier, with more room to hot rod. It is end-of-line, if Ian has any they should be cheap. The amp that will replace the A-34 will be even better but is at least 3 months away.

Note: Ian & Rachael are in China i believe... i do know where there may be a home demonstrator unit.

dave

RAW

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2008, 07:52 am »
Would that happen to be your demo unit you are refering to? :nono: :nono:

This is a possibility,

http://grantfidelity.com/site/A-348+EL34+Tube+Amplifier

Be worth checking to see if they have any of the old A-34... IMHO a bit better sonically... simplier, with more room to hot rod. It is end-of-line, if Ian has any they should be cheap. The amp that will replace the A-34 will be even better but is at least 3 months away.

Note: Ian & Rachael are in China i believe... i do know where there may be a home demonstrator unit.

dave

From what i remember being told these amps need a lot of tweeking this is why all the models were being redesigned? Dave if this single unit is your personal is it stock or have you corrected it?

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2008, 04:29 pm »
I had them hooked up to my 300 watt hybrid mono blocks and they wanted it all.

Oh good, I had just promised myself never again to think of how darn good those monoblocks sounded with my OB b200 Visatons, and you have to bring them up again Mark!

They were excellent with the HT3 though, you are correct!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2008, 09:40 pm »
Would that happen to be your demo unit you are refering to?

I have one, but we are using it as a mule for trying out mods. The one i'm thinking of is in Lethbridge.

From what i remember being told these amps need a lot of tweeking this is why all the models were being redesigned?

The amps are quite comparable to what is on the market, but as one would expect with an inexpensive amp, there is always room to diy it into something better.

GF's long-term goals are to have all their products designed in Canada, made in China. The replacements for the A34 (W30 power amp, integrated amp, and W30GT integrated amp with phono & DAC) are the 1st of that breed. As well as an upgrade in performance, and flexibility (a true pre+poweramp combo as opposed to a the high gain power amp with volume & selector that most of these are), it is designed to be modular to ease upgrading.

dave

doorman

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2008, 10:01 pm »
http://www.virtueaudio.com
I've got one on order, we'll see how it is.
The (discounted) price made it worth a try pour moi.
Supposedly the model One does something like 30wpc.
Don

R_burke

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2008, 10:49 pm »
Rob did you inquire?
Did Sasha say they were sold out? Last time I talked to him he said the inventory just across the boarder in Blaine was well over 200 units. :roll:

Yes the others could be interesting. The mag artical was the top rating for every catagory from cables to amps. interesting read.

Do not for get Bills AMP 3205 http://www.bellaextreme.com/BELLA3205MAIN.htm

Didn't directly inquire, but the web site states that they are not currently available  :cry:

RAW

« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2008, 02:06 am »
Contact Bill never know he may have a 3205 just sitting

markC

« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2008, 03:38 am »
Sorry to go a little off topic, but
I had them hooked up to my 300 watt hybrid mono blocks and they wanted it all.

Oh good, I had just promised myself never again to think of how darn good those monoblocks sounded with my OB b200 Visatons, and you have to bring them up again Mark!

They were excellent with the HT3 though, you are correct!

Hey Mark,
Do you have time off during the holidays?
I feel a little like Charlie Brown to your Lucy holding the football, but.... :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #17 on: 10 Dec 2008, 10:59 pm »
PM Sent Mark, I hope I can make it THIS time!

RAW

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2008, 04:48 pm »
Lets not forget the UCD180 from DIY Cable.
I used this amp at CES a few years ago thanks to Kevin for having a spare in his truck.The amp we were going to use for CES, just did not cut it.Kevin happen to have UCD180 in the truck as he brought it for doing measurments.

Lucky me.
 :thumb:  Kevin