Austin Area BBQ?

bprice2

Re: Austin Area BBQ?
« Reply #40 on: 13 Oct 2008, 05:55 pm »
This sounds like it could be fun.  I live sorta-kinda in the Bee Caves area...not too far from you.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #41 on: 14 Oct 2008, 06:21 am »
The 8th works for me.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #42 on: 15 Oct 2008, 01:50 pm »
How did I miss this?? David?? Art?? bad boys the both of ya for not telling me about this one! :duh:  Are "Cable Guys" allowed at this one??  :wink: Sounds Kool, can I bring food, drinks or anything?

arthurs

« Reply #43 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:18 pm »
Forgot I was your secretary JP, maybe you could check AC yourself in the future to see if there are events you're interested in attending.... :finger: :lol:

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 15 Oct 2008, 08:07 pm »
Has a date been set for the BBQ?  :scratch:

Se7en

« Reply #45 on: 16 Oct 2008, 01:16 pm »
Fred,

I'm assuming that the 22nd (Nov) is going to be more agreeable for most schedules but I was waiting to hear a few more "Yay/Nay" on the 8th proposal.

I'm open either way but didn't want to block too many people out because of bad timing.

Also, I've been very busy at work this week, so not much AC time.

-Gabe

Nick77

« Reply #46 on: 16 Oct 2008, 01:20 pm »
Personally I feel the 22nd is just too close to the holiday, my vote goes to the 8th.

Delacroix

« Reply #47 on: 16 Oct 2008, 03:31 pm »
Right now I could do both dates, but this will no doubt shift as we go on.....near Thanksgiving is not a problem for me but I recognize it could be for others....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #48 on: 17 Oct 2008, 02:25 am »
The 8th mo betta for moi.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #49 on: 17 Oct 2008, 11:53 am »
Forgot I was your secretary JP, maybe you could check AC yourself in the future to see if there are events you're interested in attending.... :finger: :lol:

Well Girl Friday, now that your memory has been "refreshed" as to whom you take notes for get your butt down here!!  :thumb:

PS-Oops almost forgot, here ya go; :finger: :finger:  :green:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #50 on: 20 Oct 2008, 08:56 pm »
I kinda need to know pretty quick.  Is the 8th agreeable?

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #51 on: 20 Oct 2008, 09:06 pm »
the 8th is fine with me.

Se7en

« Reply #52 on: 21 Oct 2008, 02:39 am »
Okay, 8th it is.

That's much time but it should be enough to get everything sorted out.

Keep in mind I'm currently a one system household and will fall somewhat dependent on the willingness of others to share some of their equipment for the day (for example: I have no bookshelf speakers but I think we're having a shootout  :duh: ).

I should be able to secure a pair of JC1s and basic cabling as a baseline for the 2nd room. Please also let me know what you may be able to bring along so I can plan accordingly.

Food and bevies won't be a problem.

-Gabe

arthurs

« Reply #53 on: 21 Oct 2008, 02:47 am »
Damn, I'm out..... :(

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #54 on: 21 Oct 2008, 03:17 am »
I'm in.  PM sent.  If you need small monitors, I just built a set of GR-Research AV-1 for a friend that I've been listening to for the past several days.  Even with lower end crossover components, it's pretty nice sounding.  But there is just so much that can be piled onto a Goldwing. :wave:

Se7en

« Reply #55 on: 21 Oct 2008, 03:23 am »
Damn, I'm out..... :(

:(

Arthur,

I'll try to make it up to ya and bring some ribs up your way later in the month. Honestly, the 21st may have been a bit better for me too but the concerns regarding proximity to holiday made good sense, not to mention giving me a bit more time to get my ducks in a row.

There will be more of these anyway...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #56 on: 21 Oct 2008, 05:11 pm »
Ya done good, Gabe.  Whatever date you selected, not everybody who may want to will be able to attend.  All my equipment is all old news but I gotta a couple of discs that might kill ya.  Look forward to making your acquaintence.   I would welcome hearing Danny's AV1's.  He made measurements using what I make on those awhile back.  Anything is cool, IMO.  Thanks, S Clark. 

Se7en

« Reply #57 on: 27 Oct 2008, 03:59 pm »
Okay folks the date is moving up on us pretty quickly.

I will be able to provide food, drink, and location.

In terms of equipment for the shootout, here's what we've got so far.

Transport (Stock Oppo and Denon), Paradiesa Dac, I'll have an extra airport express and or trends USB-->Digital converter for those would prefer to use a hard drive. I've been told that we will have a Dodd Battery Pre available as well. For amplification we will have Parasound JC1s and Carver ZR1600 as a fall back but would love to get some tube magic in the house (a few members have offered to bring stuff but I want to make sure I'm not creating to great a hardship on them to lug stuff around). We'll have miscellaneous cables available but more are welcome if you have something that you could or would like to bring.

As for speakers, we have AV123 RS250's as a baseline, and one other generous AC manufacture (details to be revealed later) has agreed to participate so far.

What we could use (so that I do not have to go out and buy).

Bookshelf speakers, if you have something that you'd like to include please do. If we don't get enough speakers for a proper shootout, we'll have to default to cricket racing. While I do love a good cricket race I don't think it will be the same. Also, please note that the goal for the shootout is to have fun and let people compare notes and listen to music. I will not provide an environment that is designed to compromise one design or set of design goals or manufacturer over another. Ultimately this should be a positive experience for anyone who chooses to participate.

Tube amps (provided it does not create huge hardship)

Speaker stands (I'm thinking 24-26" in height)

Surge protection (I have a furman pro unit as a fallback)

Music: Bring what you've got, bring what you're used to hearing, bring what you want to hear.

Analog: I have no analog and cannot picture someone bringing their rig (but I won't say that you shouldn't).

Cables: Bring what you'd like. More is probably better.

Appetite: There's going to be a lot of food and drink.

Please ping me if you have any questions or have something that you can bring.

-Gabriel

jimdgoulding

« Reply #58 on: 28 Oct 2008, 12:30 pm »
Gabe-  How about some directions?  Thanks.

Se7en

« Reply #59 on: 28 Oct 2008, 01:32 pm »
Gabe-  How about some directions?  Thanks.

Good point. I strongly recommend that people use google maps as it is not uncommon for people to get slightly lost on their way here.

Address:
13805 Panorama Dr.
Austin TX 78732

For those familiar with the area, we're about 1 mile from the Oasis and about 1/4 mile from Hippie Hollow.

The closest main intersection to us is the 620 and 2222 (we're about 3.5 miles from the there).

2222 turns into Bullick Hollow Rd, continue on Bullick Hollow for about 3/4 mile.

Turn Left on Oasis Bluff Drive. Continue until it intersects with Comanche Trail.

Turn Right on Comanche Trail. Continue for about 1 1/2 miles until you see Mountain Trail (100yards past Hippie Hollow on the right)

Turn Right on Mountain Trail. Continue all the way up Mountain Trail until it turns into Panorama Drive (at the top). Warning: there is a very nasty, "steep" switchback near the top of of Mountain Trail. I mention this because a number of people suggested they would ride their bikes. Just be cautious on that one.

At the top of the hill follow Panorama Drive to the Left and we're 3rd house on the left hand side. It is the only brown "wooden" structure on the street.