1801C Discussion String

GVR

Re: 1801C Discussion String
« Reply #80 on: 18 Aug 2009, 06:32 pm »
I'll give one more link from my collection. Here you can admire some more modulair speaker building as well some very nice woodwork. Check out the gallery section.

http://www.ebelholztechnik.de/galerien/Nexus/nexus_mdf/

BTW awfully quiet here in the 1801 forum... Maybe I should post one of my 1801C designs for feedback.... What do you say Dave?

Gerard

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #81 on: 19 Aug 2009, 01:27 pm »
BTW awfully quiet here in the 1801 forum... Maybe I should post one of my 1801C designs for feedback.... What do you say Dave?

Sure, go for it!  I have always encouraged customers to experiment with the cabinet!  Some variation is very acceptable.  In theory there are many things to nit-pick about cabinet design and shape, but for the majority of cabinet variations have relatively little audible impact.  These changes might be audible, but determining a better/worse environment would be very difficult - IME.  I... should probably explain MY opinion in the next discussion string.

Dave

David Ellis

« Reply #82 on: 21 Sep 2009, 12:28 pm »
I have received a few email inquires recently regarding the status of the 1801C.  Certainly the timeline for this project has become waaaaay tooooo loooong relative to what is customary.  Certainly a decent speaker is possible in @ 6 months of semi-focused effort.   I wish to respond publicly so that all may understand the status. Yesterday my wife and I completed the initial stage of our transition to Minnesota.  After about 6 months of maintaining an immaculate home we finally sold it.  We will close on the sale on the 30th of September. 

Yesterday, we moved about 14000lbs of personal goods into a rental home in Shoreview, MN.  My wife seems happy, and our neighbors are wonderful.  If my wife continues to be happy with her new job, we will most likely buy a home in Shoreview next spring/summer.

Until this happens, my workshop will remain in boxes as our current home doesn't have the space to setup a functional workshop.   My splash-painted prototype 1801C sounds quite decent, but I need a workshop to complete the plans (with photos) for the 1801C.  And, I would like to build a respectable looking pair of cabinets for my wife?s living room. 

So, as of now, the 1801C won't be finished for a looooong time.   

TomW16

« Reply #83 on: 23 Sep 2009, 04:42 pm »
Congratulations on the sale of the home Dave.  We have moved twice and it can be difficult to keep the home in show condition as you don't live like that.  Being close to family in Minnesota is priceless.

I am sure that the 1801Cs will be worth the wait when you finally get around to documenting the build process.

Take care,
Tom
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2009, 05:45 pm by TomW16 »

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #84 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:02 am »
Dave:

Congratulations on retirement, selling the house, and making the move.  You're probably not prepared to move again, but you'll have a few months to recover from the last move.   :D   Selling a home, moving, and contemplating moving again is very demanding, and I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't exhausted.  Hope that everything in MN works out well for your family and you.

fred

« Reply #85 on: 4 Nov 2009, 01:28 am »
I consider the "looong delay" is a blessing in disguise for me.  I'm saving money.

David Ellis

« Reply #86 on: 4 Nov 2009, 04:11 am »
Congratulations on retirement, selling the house, and making the move.  You're probably not prepared to move again, but you'll have a few months to recover from the last move.      Selling a home, moving, and contemplating moving again is very demanding, and I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't exhausted.  Hope that everything in MN works out well for your family and you

Thanks for the note.

Actually, I feel better than I have in several years.  I now have 6+ hours of regular sleep every night and manage a good long workout at the gym twice a week when my son is in preschool.  There are some facets of my previous job that I miss, but not many of them.

I don't miss the 60+ hour work weeks, night shifts, and not having any ownership of my schedule.  After many years of this I had forgot what a healthy lifestyle feels like.  It is truly amazing what good sleep and a little exercise can do for a guy.  Sure, I still have a bad elbow, and arthritis in both knees.  But, I can still do cardio and I can stil do a few weight bearing exercises.  I feel great.

While my workshop remains in boxes, my wife and boys are happy  :thumb: .  This is what really matters.

I... have time to convey a short snippet about the importance of being a father.  The message is that no matter what socioeconomic status a father maintains, his son thinks that dad is a hero.

Several years ago I was at a Menards hardware store.  I noticed a man @30 years old in a raggedy military uniform with his son.  The man was a Sergeant, and seemed old for his rank.  Hence, he was behind the achievement curve relative to most folks.  Many of his peers probably outranked this man.  Nonetheless, about 2' behind the man was a young boy looking up at dad with gleam and pride.  That little boy was following his hero - dad!  Nothing could be more important to that little boy.  He was at the hardware store with his dad.

Many men don't realize how truly important their presence is to thier children.  Whenever I wonder what I should be doing with my life, I think of that little boy in Menards following his hero.

Oh, and the chamion of all dad's is Dick Hoyt.  This guy sets the bar VERY high:http://teamhoyt.com/

Okay, I'll get off the soap box.

Thanks for reading.

Dave

timjthomas

« Reply #87 on: 24 Dec 2009, 10:40 am »
Any updates?

David Ellis

« Reply #88 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:12 pm »
Any updates?

I am sorry, but I have no updates in the realm of building loudspeakers.  I don't expect to have the workshop necessary to complete the 1801C plans for at least 6 months. 

The real estate values continue to decline and my family is very happy in the home we rented in Shoreview, MN following our move from Omaha, NE.  Buying a home now seems to be a poor financial decision. 

Dave

timjthomas

« Reply #89 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:48 pm »
Thanks Dave.

Do you expect the 1801C to be substantially better than the "b"?  What "areas" / "issues" are you trying to address with the "c"?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

David Ellis

« Reply #90 on: 25 Dec 2009, 03:09 pm »
Do you expect the 1801C to be substantially better than the "b"?  What "areas" / "issues" are you trying to address with the "c"?

Hmmmm,

A proper answer to your question would require substantial text profoundly rooted in self aggrandizement on my part.  I have endeavored to avoid this for many years and wish to continue in this stead.  It is my belief that unbiased words from others will provide the foundation for my reputation and credibility.

I fully realize that the 1801C will be significantly more expensive than the 1801B, and realize that his may not be appaling for everyone.  Certainly the laws of diminishing returns apply.  I have been fortunate to be able to afford the more expensive driver and more expensive capacitors.  Initialy I thought the positive results were rooted in "luck".  I have subsequently learned otherwise.

I really don't wish to comment further.  You are certainly willing to contact me via telephone for further explanation.  Also, I have been gradually working on a rhetoric update regarding loudspeaker drivers for my webpage.

It is time to go to Grandpa's farm.  My boy's will certainly have a wonderful time!

Dave

Guilhermejs

« Reply #91 on: 15 Jun 2010, 07:22 am »
Hello Dave, how are you?

All my equipment are also in boxes for a long, long time, but I will probably set it up again in a few weeks.

Do you have any update in the 1801C?

Best regards,

Guilherme

David Ellis

« Reply #92 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:34 pm »
Hmmm,

No real update.  I continue to listen to the 1801c on a daily basis and my only mild desire to experiment with a slightly larger cabinet (30L) and perhaps a passive radiator.  The current cabinet is @ 21.5 liters and I think the C95 may tolerate a 30 liter cabinet very well.  The current bass is very tight but seems to roll off at about 45 hz.  In the realm of compromises, the bass might be better overall if it were deeper and not so tight.

I remain continuously occupied by things that need work in our new home.  My wife and I purchased a foreclosed home, but in fairly good condition.  Nonetheless, there seems to be a constant stream of things that need a little time and effort.   I visited with an electrician a few days ago that is going to wire some 220v outlets in my workshop area.  After this, I can start assembling my workshop.