ELPAC WM220-1 Power Supply

Wayne1

ELPAC WM220-1 Power Supply
« on: 27 Mar 2007, 02:50 pm »
We have been getting a couple of these power supplies through the shop that have a mechanical hum. This is likely caused by the plates in the transformer vibrating.

BOLDER CABLE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR HUMMING TRANSFORMERS.

These power supplies were purchased used or surplus from a vendor other than BOLDER CABLE. BOLDER CABLE IS responsible for the components installed in the power supply board and making sure it works with a Squeeze Box. The original seller of the WM220-1 is responsible for any defect or noise in the transformer, if the unit was sold with a warranty. If it is sold "as-is", then there is no recourse.

The transformer would have to be replaced. I am not aware of any other transformer that would fit except for another ELPAC WM220-1.

To prevent this problem from occurring, I do suggest that people buying surplus power supplies ask to seller to plug the PS in to see if it hums before shipping. Ask them to choose the PS with the least hum. Another alternative is to purchase the WM220-1 new from Digi-Key for $120.00.

I will be working with a couple of folks who do have humming PS to try to reduce the mechanical noise. I do ask you to be aware that I am under no obligation to do so. I sell a mod to the power supply, not the power supply itself. The mod works fine.

jrebman

Re: ELPAC WM220-1 Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2007, 05:46 pm »
Wayne,

How pronounced is this hum?  I just plugged in the one I bought a couple of weeks ago and there is a slight hum if you put your ear up to the case, but nothing to horrible.  Does it get worse under load?  I'd have to scrounge around to find something to test it with under load conditions if that is the case.

Also, I've been able to fix many buzzing transformers in the past by painting liberal coats of very thinned lacquer on the laminations-- letting them dry for a week or more between applications.

-- Jim

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2007, 06:21 pm »
Jim,

I do not believe your ELPAC had any problems. The one I personally use for testing in the shop has a VERY pronounced mechanical 60 HZ hum that can be heard from 10 feet away.

Most power supplies do emit a small amount of hum if you put your ear to the case.

The post I made was done for the most part to limit my liability. I have no control over what gets sent to me to mod. Two of the last fifty ELPAC WM220-1 that came through here did hum rather loudly.

I do intend to work with any one who has a noisy unit. I will be using my own humming ELPAC as a test bed. If I can come up with some solutions, I will post them here. I will be testing each ELPAC before I start to mod it. I will get in touch with the customer if I find one that does hum very loudly so they can decide what they want to do before any work is performed on it.

Thank you for the information on the lacquer. I will give that a try. Most of the people that send me a PS are somewhat impatient to get them. I am not sure if they would be willing to wait a month extra while I wait for layers of lacquer to dry :wink:

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2007, 06:34 pm »
Wayne,

Ok, I guess mine doesn't have the problem then if it is something that can be heard from 10 feet away.

BTW, I'm talking about a new one I bought recently, not the one you already modded for me.  The new one is the larger power brick type.

Also, depending on how hot these get you might have to use high-temp enamel instead of lacquer, but that's probably not the case with these.  Also, if you do this you need to tell people to expect some smell from the things for quite a while.  It's been years since I did this, so I don't remember how long the smell persists.

-- Jim

jn316

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2007, 06:21 pm »
Wayne,

How pronounced is this hum?  I just plugged in the one I bought a couple of weeks ago and there is a slight hum if you put your ear up to the case, but nothing to horrible.  Does it get worse under load?  I'd have to scrounge around to find something to test it with under load conditions if that is the case.
-- Jim

Jim,

I just bought a used one a couple of weeks ago too. Mine is the same as yours. If I put my ear up to it, there is a hum, but from a foot or two away, it is barely perceptable, and this is in a quit room. So I'm guessing that it is the "normal" hum from a transformer.

Wayne, I'll probably be delivering my ELPAC and SB3 to you soon. I thought I was getting a new black/silver SB3, but got an all black one shipped instead. Seems to be hard to get a new black/silver one anymore, and, yes, I know that they don't make them anymore. So I'll have to keep the all black one.

Gary

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2007, 06:27 pm »
Gary,

Somewhat off topic, but if you want the silver faceplate, I happen to have a brand new one here. I would will willing to trade you straight up for the black one.

The only difference between the two units is the faceplate.

Wayne

jn316

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2007, 08:19 pm »
Wayne,

Yeah, I think I'll trade you, assuming the unit you have is new, and looks new. Is the remote the same? My 2-ch setup has alot of silver/black units, including the rack, hence the silver/black SB3 request.
I'll probably be coming up soon for the ELPAC and SB3 mod I ordered. I'll call to confirm the date and time.

Gary
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2007, 09:25 pm by jn316 »

el-cee

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2008, 01:31 am »
A friend gave me a stock WM220-1 to try on my SB3, but it has the 5 pin DIN.
I have a barrel connector and would like to swap it for the 5 pin DIN and try the p/s
in stock form before considering any additional mods.
Given that the 5V (red) lead from the WM220-1 connects to the center pin of the barrel connector,
which lead should connect to the ground of the barrel connector ( common (blue) or ground (black))?
TIA.

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2008, 01:52 am »
Use the blue wire for the outer connection.

el-cee

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2008, 01:02 pm »
Thanks, Wayne.

mhconley

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2010, 09:25 pm »
I just purchased a new WM220-1 off eBay ($48.50 shipped) and a Philmore TC258 cable with a 2.5mm ID / 5.5mm OD plug.  As a tinkerer and DIY'er I plan to crack open the PSU to replace the 5-pin cable with the Philmore cable and try my hand at some other mods.  If I screw it up :duh: I may be buying another and sending it your way...

Martin
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2010, 08:57 pm by mhconley »

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2010, 05:09 pm »
Martin,

I would not replace the entire DC cable. The cable assembly is sized to work with the strain relief for the case. Another cable would not fit the strain relief properly. I would suggest you just cut the DIN connector off and splice in the new connector. Use heatshrink tubing to insulate the spliced wires.

If you do decide to send an ELPAC to me to be modded, I should be able to turn it around within 48 hours of receiving it.

mhconley

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2010, 12:55 am »
Wayne,

I received the power supply today.  It was brand new and has no hum.  I immediately popped it open and started working.

I used the strain relief from the current cable with the 18AWG two-wire Philmore cable.  What I did was cut the round cable at the strain relief edge and pulled the individual wires into the case.  I flush trimmed the round cable with the strain relief using an X-acto knife and fed the two wire cable into the remaining round wire sheath and strain relief, applied a little super glue and pulled it in.  It is very snug and seems quite secure.  It looks like it was made that way.

I soldered the red and blue wires to the new plug wires and de-soldered and popped the yellow, black and white wires off the board.  I will listen to it tonight.  I may do some more mods to the insides this weekend.

Thanks,

Martin

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm »
Wayne,

You've modded two of these Elpacs for me for my SB3s. Can these power supplies be used with the Touch as is? Could the Bybee Music Rails be added to these power supplies and would they be as good as the modded Jerome? Thanks.

Len

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2011, 10:14 pm »
From Bolder's site - "The ELPAC WM220-1 is a large power supply designed for computers. With modifications, this power supply sounds FANTASTIC powering a Squeeze Box 2, 3 or Touch. It cannot be used with a DUET Receiver."

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm »
From Bolder's site - "The ELPAC WM220-1 is a large power supply designed for computers. With modifications, this power supply sounds FANTASTIC powering a Squeeze Box 2, 3 or Touch. It cannot be used with a DUET Receiver."

Phil, thanks but I was wondering if any additional work would need to be done to them to allow them to work with a Touch.

Wayne1

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2011, 10:40 pm »
Len,

The modded ELPACs can be used with the Touch with no additional mods.

Bybee Music Rails CAN be added to the ELPAC for a fairly major improvement.

Gopher just received his ELPAC that I added Music Rails to.

He commented : "holy crap!!!  I got my bolder modded elpac back today with the music rails added.   Wonder!  Wayne, this should be standard.

I'm hearing an improvement from top to bottom and not a subtle one.  The first things to jump out at me were bass and holography and that was before the dac or squeezing even warmed up.

definitely a more natural presentation that has a great flow.  I think dynamics are a lot more explosive as well.  I'll post additional thoughts as I get a better handle on this, but I am very impressed.

thanks Wayne!"

The whole thread can be found here.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2011, 11:15 pm »
Thanks Wayne.

Gopher

« Reply #18 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:54 am »
Re reading my quote I can see the auto text correct on my tablet was in full effect when I posted my thoughts.

None the less, I think my excitement comes through fine.  I'm looking forward to doing some listening tomorrow.  It should have been going non stop with isotek burn in tones being played for about 48 hours now.

Levi

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2011, 04:50 pm »
Coming in a little late on the party.  I just implemented a brand new sealed ELPAC WM220-1.  It does have a minimal hum.  The upgraded power supply surely brought the Touch to a new level of performance.  The Touch digital out is connectedn to my EE DAC and an external USB HDD (powered).

Many thanks to Wayne!

Just a one question:
The ELPAC measured slightly higher voltage 5.4 volts compared to the stock which is 4.69 volts.  Would the slightly higher voltage from the Elpac affect the Touch in the long run?