Veneer question w/ Transtint dye problem

flavo

Veneer question w/ Transtint dye problem
« on: 16 Apr 2018, 01:48 pm »
This is my first time working with Transtint. I got the color dialed in on scraps and then moved on to the big stuff. I used about 75% denatured alcohol and 25% water for the medium. I was working pretty fast so I wouldn't have thought that the evaporating alcohol would have caused this double staining effect where the wood got stained more. But I really don't know. I've never had this issue before with your standard big box store stains so I'm at a loss. Is this salvageable? I don't really think I can sand it off as the veneer is already pretty thin.
Thoughts besides light it on fire and start over?

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
Re: Veneer question w/ Transtint dye problem
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2018, 02:23 pm »
Hi, If you have not put a clear coat over it, just rub it down with some denatured alcohol and blend it out. I would stay away from water usage.

flavo

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2018, 11:44 pm »
You saved me!
 Thank you so much, I was a little depressed there for a day or so. It came off just enough that I could re-dye and blend it all together. It looks great now.
 Thanks again  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2018, 02:42 am »
Hey Mike, those are looking great!  Glad you were able to get the dye issue taken care of.  Looks like you were able to veneer the waveguide, good deal!

Best,
Ed

flavo

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2018, 01:03 am »
Thanks Ed! I'll post up in my thread when I get a few layers of Shellac on in the next day or two with some pics.