Ready Player One

wushuliu

Ready Player One
« on: 9 Apr 2018, 03:01 am »
Very fun. Not classic Spielberg - but then the movie is about 80s nostalgia and the dawn of the video game age, so Spielberg is competing with himself. Bajillion visual and music references throughout.

The [REDACTED] action set piece though - [because evidently] It was awesome. A master paying homage to another master. So better make sure you [all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy].

Also nice to have Spielberg back to his swearing roots. Language gets a little salty.

Must see? No. But even okay Spielberg is still Grade A for everyone else.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2018, 02:32 am by wushuliu »

Wind Chaser

Re: Ready Player One
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2018, 04:14 am »
The second major action set piece though - I did not see that coming. It was awesome. A master paying homage to another master. So better make sure you have a key to Room 237.

TMI  :o  :nono:

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2018, 06:34 am »
TMI  :o  :nono:

There are so many 80s references, I think dropping a hint is okay. Especially for those who aren't familiar or have not seen the reference in question in a long time since it's a big sequence in the movie.

Oh and the movie Excalibur. I think I was the only person in the theater who recognized the 'spell'...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2018, 06:37 am »
I appreciated the reference to Room 237. I had to look it up. It's been a long long time since I watched that movie.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2018, 04:46 pm »
It’s a bit too much of a spoiler for me. Now instead of taking me by surprise I’ll be anxiously waiting for it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2018, 05:34 pm »
Agree with Windchaser.  That’s a pretty major spoiler.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2018, 02:20 am »
Agree with Windchaser.  That’s a pretty major spoiler.

No it isn't. In fact, if you've seen Ready Player One then you know there's no way to anticipate what happens or how it happens or what my mentioning it even means. Especially for a movie that is non-stop pop culture 80s references. And I mean non-stop.

But if you HAVEN'T seen the movie being referenced or it's been a long long time, then watching it will be helpful in getting the most out of the experience. That's why I brought it up.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2018, 05:21 am »
Language gets a little salty.

I must have seen the G rated version because I don't recall hearing any salty language.

Must see? No. But even okay Spielberg is still Grade A for everyone else.

But this tripe wasn't okay. And I'm quite certain it will not win anything come the next awards season.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2018, 12:30 am »
I read the book last year and it was a pretty good read, especially if you like scifi and have played a variety of games on XBox, Playstation, or PC. Having seen the movie I felt it was true to the spirit of the book even though there was some minor variation. What was true to the book was very well done. Spielberg overachieved on this one I think. The cinematography and special effects were first rate, everything was "Hi-rez".

The book and plot of this film are not sophisticated, and if you are not expecting too much and are willing to be a geek, it is very entertaining.