Icepower 1200AS (Purepower) Listening impressions thread

TJHUB and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. Read 5982 times.

debjit.g

Re: Icepower 1200AS (Purepower) Listening impressions thread
« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2018, 08:11 pm »
If you have two fuses in the amp you will get better sound bypassing the first one.......and obviously, you would want a better fuse for the one on the board.  This will give mucho better sound.  AMR fuses are good and cheap.  Of course, if you want the best you must PAY!  Also, no one has mentioned audiophile feet......there are a few good ones in the $200-$300 range (Mad Scientist and IsoAcoustics among them) that would probably take it up another level.  I use the Mad Scientist ones and love them.

which two fuse are you talking about ? Chassis and on the motherboard beside the power connectors ?

Mike was suppose to compare the AM Beeswax but I haven't heard anything in that respect yet. I am thinking SR Blue but its expensive for me since I have two amps to deal with :duh:

Ric Schultz

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.tweakaudio.com
« Reply #41 on: 14 Apr 2018, 08:56 pm »
The Takachi amps have both a chassis fuse and the fuse on the board.  The SE amps have a fuse holder (underneath the amp) but it unclear whether it is wired in or not.......maybe wired in for overseas units only?  Anyway, if you have a chassis fuse, you can bypass it for better sound.  Like I said, get the AMR or cheaper fuses for now.....then when the fuse wars are over get the one you can afford.

debjit.g

« Reply #42 on: 15 Apr 2018, 02:16 am »
anybody know where to source AMR fuse in the US ?

JackD

« Reply #43 on: 15 Apr 2018, 02:50 am »
Dev

I have bought from Tweek Geek as recently as a month ago but they are no longer listed.  Also bought from Analogue Seduction and MCRU in the UK and the prices are about the same.  Apparently iFi in the US is doing something different now.  Try the Facilitator's on the iFi Circle and see who they suggest.

santacore

« Reply #44 on: 15 Apr 2018, 05:07 am »
I also want to add that ambient information is portrayed exceptionally with this amp. The amp allows you to hear really deep into the recording space. I won't comment on the depth or width of the sound stage until the amp is fully burned in, but for now, I'm satisfied. Good stuff!

back2back

« Reply #45 on: 15 Apr 2018, 10:46 pm »
which two fuse are you talking about ? Chassis and on the motherboard beside the power connectors ?

Mike was suppose to compare the AM Beeswax but I haven't heard anything in that respect yet. I am thinking SR Blue but its expensive for me since I have two amps to deal with :duh:

I've had the SR Blue in my system for over a month now (amp is on 24/7), and totally forgot about it until your post.

To be honest the differences aren't significant. Maybe a bit smoother and bit more forward sounding, which gives the impression of better clarity. It's not a game changer or anything like that. If this one were to blow, it wouldn't be like I'd have to replace it right away. Although, I think I'd get another one if/when I had extra funds. Overall, I like it, but certainly there's no wow factor to it.

debjit.g

« Reply #46 on: 15 Apr 2018, 11:11 pm »
I've had the SR Blue in my system for over a month now (amp is on 24/7), and totally forgot about it until your post.

To be honest the differences aren't significant. Maybe a bit smoother and bit more forward sounding, which gives the impression of better clarity. It's not a game changer or anything like that. If this one were to blow, it wouldn't be like I'd have to replace it right away. Although, I think I'd get another one if/when I had extra funds. Overall, I like it, but certainly there's no wow factor to it.

Thanks for the feedback. Are you using a power conditioner with the 1200AS ? I have a SR Blue on my BHK pre and like you haven't noticed any wow factor - maybe some subtle differences. I think if you are using a good power conditioner in front of these components, the effect of fuse becomes much much less. I remember when I had put AM Beeswax in the Nords monoblocks which was connected straight to the wall outlets, it had quiet an impact on the sound - I read somewhere that AM has something that deals with RFI/EMI on the mains and may be worth if folks are connecting the 1200AS directly to the wall outlets.

debjit.g

« Reply #47 on: 15 Apr 2018, 11:13 pm »
Dev

I have bought from Tweek Geek as recently as a month ago but they are no longer listed.  Also bought from Analogue Seduction and MCRU in the UK and the prices are about the same.  Apparently iFi in the US is doing something different now.  Try the Facilitator's on the iFi Circle and see who they suggest.

Jack, thanks. Yes, I remember earlier Tweek Geek used to sell AMR and not anymore now. I inquired an Ebay seller and he said that he will stop selling AMR fuse in the future and is only clearing out his stock. Looks like iFI/AMR is onto something.

back2back

« Reply #48 on: 15 Apr 2018, 11:22 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Are you using a power conditioner with the 1200AS ? I have a SR Blue on my BHK pre and like you haven't noticed any wow factor - maybe some subtle differences. I think if you are using a good power conditioner in front of these components, the effect of fuse becomes much much less. I remember when I had put AM Beeswax in the Nords monoblocks which was connected straight to the wall outlets, it had quiet an impact on the sound - I read somewhere that AM has something that deals with RFI/EMI on the mains and may be worth if folks are connecting the 1200AS directly to the wall outlets.

No power conditioner, but I do have it connected to a MGE (Topaz) 91002-32T isolation transformer.

Ric Schultz

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.tweakaudio.com
« Reply #49 on: 16 Apr 2018, 12:17 am »

You have a Takachi Purepower and you bypassed the chassis fuse?  So the fuse you are talking about is the one and only fuse on the board?  Or is this some other amp/system?

back2back

« Reply #50 on: 16 Apr 2018, 12:45 am »
You have a Takachi Purepower and you bypassed the chassis fuse?  So the fuse you are talking about is the one and only fuse on the board?  Or is this some other amp/system?

Yep, only 1 fuse. Other fuse is bypassed.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #51 on: 16 Apr 2018, 11:33 pm »
Received my silver SE amp today. It has gold rca connectors and the DPS-4 internal power cable.

System:
Sonore ultraRendu>Lampizator Atlantic Plus w/Sophia Electric Aqua 274B and DPS-4 pc>Schiit Saga w/Shuguang CV181-Z and Furutech so32n pc>Mivera PP w/Cerious Tech Matrix pc>Vapor Cirrus Blacks
Speaker cables are Cerious Tech Matrix and ic’s are Teo GC 2’s. Everything is plugged into a Core Power Tech 1800 w/Furutech NCF receptacles and every component and speaker sits on a Star Sound Tech platform.
Playing Tidal upsampled to DSD128 thru Roon.

First, the fit and finish on the SE amp is outstanding! Rock solid and looks as good or better than any amp I’ve owned. Awesome job Mike in picking out great vendors for the mill work and cabling/ connectors. The Furutech binding posts are excellent and really grip the spades on the Matrix sc’s as I was a little worried because of the weight of the Matrix is quite heavy for a sc but they are held with a Kung fu grip, very nice!

My main amp, and preamp as well, has been a Melody AN845 integrated and have always loved the warm musical nature it gives and was hoping the 1200as wasn’t too far off as I used to own a pair of Nord One Up monos w/SI 993 op amps and often found the sound a little too analytical for my tastes. While the Melody wasn’t quite the detail giant the Nords were it always wrapped me in a warm blanket and fed me a bottle as I enjoyed it’s soundstaging and presence very much.

With about two hours of run time I got to say I’m very pleased with what I’m hearing from the Mivera amp. It’s so very close to what I have with the Melody amp in regards to tone and presence. I thought the bass was a little weak at first but it’s already improving. From what I remember with class d amps the bass is usually the last to kick in so looking for improvement with more time but already pretty happy. I don’t detect any glare or harshness. Maybe just a smidge of being lean but I’m hoping with more time the silver/gold wire and DPS-4 cable fills out and that will be negligible. I figure my weak link right now is the Saga preamp and maybe with another active pre with some gain could do me some good but I gotta say I’m pretty pleased with everything I’m hearing thus far. I used the Saga with a Folsom amp and thought things sounded decent but with the Mivera it’s much better, another league even.

Detail and imaging seem on par if not better than with the Melody but the Melody still has an in the room presence with those 845 tubes but the Mivera isn’t far off and with more time will hopefully close the gap. Honestly, this is what I was hoping for in the Mivera amp. Something that doesn’t compromise the warmth and musicality of the tube amp while still giving me great detail and imaging. I’m looking forward to what lies ahead...

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2018, 02:36 am by Tomy2Tone »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #52 on: 17 Apr 2018, 02:46 am »
Trying to remember the fuse value for the one on the board and at the inlet. Anybody know off hand without taking off the lid?

TJHUB

« Reply #53 on: 17 Apr 2018, 02:49 am »
The fuse is a 5x20mm 10A slow blow.

debjit.g

« Reply #54 on: 17 Apr 2018, 02:55 am »
Trying to remember the fuse value for the one on the board and at the inlet. Anybody know off hand without taking off the lid?

Both are 10A, 5x20mm slow blow.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #55 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:00 am »
Thanks guys

sfox7076

« Reply #56 on: 17 Apr 2018, 05:18 am »
When is mine shipping?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #57 on: 17 Apr 2018, 11:28 am »
When is mine shipping?

Maybe try sending him a message through his website. Not sure how often he'll be checking out these threads, he seems to be in building amp mode.

brother love

« Reply #58 on: 17 Apr 2018, 11:52 am »
Very nice initial review Tomy2Tone. Looking forward to your ongoing listening impressions as you mark more time.  :thumb:

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #59 on: 17 Apr 2018, 01:00 pm »
Enjoyed your review of initial impressions Tommy2Tone.  Looking forward to hearing from more amp owners.