Looking for recommendation - Discrete Balanced Stereo Preamp

Studio19atx

Re: Looking for recommendation - Discrete Balanced Stereo Preamp
« Reply #20 on: 8 Apr 2018, 03:01 pm »
I believe their posting in the All Solid State circle answers that question.  My recommendation, which I replaced with Emily Litella's famous, "nevermind," was for a tube preamplifier.    :duh:

Martin

Hi Martin,
I posted it in All Solid State, but so many recommendations to look at the tube preamps has gotten me thinking and also interested to look at the tube based preamps too. One strong candidate I am considering Aesthetix Calypso. Seems for the price is a good choice.

I have a had some great recommendations.

One a different note, what circle do you recommend this thread be moved to if tube and solid state both are contenders.

Studio19atx

« Reply #21 on: 8 Apr 2018, 03:04 pm »
Merrill Audio "Cara", has received very favorable reviews.

Thank you for recommending Merill's Cara. I had not thought about it. I will be using Hypex amps and Cara might a good match as Merill sells Hypex amps and probably have voiced the preamp to have good synergy with Hypex amps.

Studio19atx

« Reply #22 on: 8 Apr 2018, 03:06 pm »
If wanting SS, I would recommend the BAT VK-42 and 43se models which still have the BAT sound as well as a Pass XP-10, 20 or their newer XP-12 and XP-22.  The Pass preamps tend to sound excellent at low volumes.  They keep their dynamics. The Parasound JC2 preamp is also awesome.  Black background, neutral, very transparent and detailed.  It needs to be paired with an amp that has a heavier mid range though.  It is still a stereophile Class A preamp.

I will check out the Pass preamps. I initially wanted SS as its easier to move around and have certain consistency. But considering so many recommendations of tube based preamps, I am rethinking.

Delta77

« Reply #23 on: 8 Apr 2018, 03:30 pm »
The 2 Brands that are keeping me up at night , are
DECWARE and  QUICKSILVER..(very interesting preamps)..
I recently bought the Decware CSP3 (preamp) ,for my headphone system . (2 month lead time)..
Then I placed it in my main system (for comparison) and it completely outclassed my other preamp.
In turn I placed another order with DECWARE to replace/swap out my SS amp..!!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #24 on: 8 Apr 2018, 05:59 pm »
I will check out the Pass preamps. I initially wanted SS as its easier to move around and have certain consistency. But considering so many recommendations of tube based preamps, I am rethinking.

One thing about Pass is that you won't have any trouble flipping it because they are in demand and hold their value.  I flipped my Pass X1 pre.  I had it for 3 months and sold it in just 2 days on Audiogon.  I  only lost about $100 due to shipping.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #26 on: 12 Apr 2018, 05:17 am »
Hi Martin,
I posted it in All Solid State, but so many recommendations to look at the tube preamps has gotten me thinking and also interested to look at the tube based preamps too. One strong candidate I am considering Aesthetix Calypso. Seems for the price is a good choice.

One a different note, what circle do you recommend this thread be moved to if tube and solid state both are contenders.

I held my recommendation until I saw this because it is a tube pre.
I own a Don Sachs Model 2 6SN7 pre. It has outclassed every other preamp I have compared to it. Depending on options, price is approximately $2000 to $3200. It has a fiercely loyal following.

Enjoy your search.

Michael

Wind Chaser

« Reply #27 on: 12 Apr 2018, 07:42 am »
I am looking to try something new. Any recommendation on a stereo preamp with XLR outputs with remote control?

Well then let’s think big in terms performance ... something that could be considered “exemplary” regardless of cost. Check out Steven Stone’s review of the NuPrime DAC-10... it’s a fully balanced preamp with an integrated DAC that allows the option of selecting either 4 or 6 volts out. The volume “control” is second to none, and the metal remote is very nice too. Visually, it’s rather a plain piece but sonically it performs at the highest level.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #28 on: 12 Apr 2018, 11:00 am »
Ayre K-5xeMP

Pass XP20, being replaced by the 22 which is quieter. The XP12 is the newer XP10 and might compete with the XP-20

Levinson 326s

Rowland, Belles, others see Audiogon forums under amps/preamps

newzooreview

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jul 2018, 01:10 am »
Well then let’s think big in terms performance ... something that could be considered “exemplary” regardless of cost. Check out Steven Stone’s review of the NuPrime DAC-10... it’s a fully balanced preamp with an integrated DAC that allows the option of selecting either 4 or 6 volts out. The volume “control” is second to none, and the metal remote is very nice too. Visually, it’s rather a plain piece but sonically it performs at the highest level.

The NuPrime and most other balanced pre-amp connections do not operate at high enough voltage to get the real benefit of a balanced topology. Benchmark published a good technical article on this after the thread died down in April: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/balanced-vs-unbalanced-analog-interfaces

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jul 2018, 01:42 am »
The NuPrime and most other balanced pre-amp connections do not operate at high enough voltage to get the real benefit of a balanced topology. Benchmark published a good technical article on this after the thread died down in April: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/balanced-vs-unbalanced-analog-interfaces

Agreed, but would qualify your comment by specifying "most consumer balanced pre-amp...".  I'm currently looking at a the German made RME ADI-2 DAC which has preamp, DSP, and headphone facilities plus excellent sound and +13 dBu output for $1100 USD.

newzooreview

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jul 2018, 12:06 am »
Agreed, but would qualify your comment by specifying "most consumer balanced pre-amp...".  I'm currently looking at a the German made RME ADI-2 DAC which has preamp, DSP, and headphone facilities plus excellent sound and +13 dBu output for $1100 USD.

For what it's worth, the Benchmark article references "professional +24 dBu (12.28 Vrms) inputs" as giving the best SNR. However, +13 dBu is much better than the 0 dBu of simply cosmetic XLR inputs, and depending on the rest of the system may not be the limiting factor in overall SNR.

fredgarvin

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jul 2018, 06:50 pm »

I'm considering this unit myself. It has built quite a positive reputation at this point. They have been regular with their firmware updates as well.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 25 Jul 2018, 07:38 pm »
Hi Martin,

That preamp is a beast to maintain and use. If using a SS amp go tubed preamp.
Thank you for recommending Merill's Cara. I had not thought about it. I will be using Hypex amps and Cara might a good match as Merill sells Hypex amps and probably have voiced the preamp to have good synergy with Hypex amps.

Not using Hypex module any longer. Make their own now. For SS the Cara is excellent.

charles