STA-9 vs ST-10

mpv

STA-9 vs ST-10
« on: 30 Mar 2018, 10:51 pm »
Hello,
Just wondering if someone compare these two.I'm intrigued by the fact that cheaper STA-9 is class A and mimic tube sound. ST-10 will be cleaner without coloration or?This will be my first foray into class D form many,many tube amps.More SET than PP though.
thanks

Spenav

Re: STA-9 vs ST-10
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2018, 11:21 pm »
Take a look at the ‘NuPrime Amp Comparison ‘ to have an idea of the differences between the two. It’s really informative.

mpv

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2018, 02:36 am »
Thanks but I had read the specs.I was interested in sound opinion. Midrange,heights and bass.More like what have to offer one against the other one?

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2018, 04:27 am »
Left is STA-9.  We will add this to the Amp comparison page.

mpv

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2018, 10:04 am »
Left is STA-9.  We will add this to the Amp comparison page.

Can you build or have one with all these features?  :)
My speakers are Spatial M3 Turbo S. What would you recommend?
M3 TURBO S SPECIFICATIONS

Type:  2-way, point source, open-baffle, dynamic driver, controlled directivity

Chassis:: Two Layer HDF (High Density Fiberboard)

Driver compliment:  Two 15 inch mid/woofers, one wide bandwidth compression driver

Crossover:  800Hz - Passive - Hologram Network Technology - WBT NextGen Binding Posts, Dueland treble cabling

Frequency Response:  32Hz - 20kHz  +/- 3dB in room response

Sensitivity:  94dB - averaged across 200Hz to 5kHz at 1M - on axis

Impedance:  4Ω nominal, 3 Ω minimum

Recommended amplifiers -tube or solid state 10 Watts and larger.

Dimensions:  42T x 17W x 3D inches, 55 lbs  net each

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2018, 07:10 pm »
Don't understand what you mean.  You can't have sonic characteristic that are opposite of each other, the obvious one is it is either warm or neutral.

mpv

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2018, 07:11 pm »
Don't understand what you mean.  You can't have sonic characteristic that are opposite of each other, the obvious one is it is either warm or neutral.

Joking...
Happy Easter !

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2018, 12:38 am »
mpv

I've run the ST-10 with both the M3 TS and M3 TS for two years now.  I would never consider the STA-9 instead especially for the Turbo S as it would be too warm in my opinion.  I do have an IDA-8 which is similar in sound character to the STA-9 and I tried it some time back with the Turbo S.  I didn't care for that combo at all and it only got a brief audition. 

simon740

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2018, 06:15 pm »
Hello,
what do you think what will be better for ma JBL L150A speakers ?
Two STA-9 or ST10? Preamp is DAC-9 ....

Regards,
Simon

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2018, 07:35 pm »
I think it depends on your music preference. If you listen to just about everything, then I think STA-9 is a good choice. But if you listen to mainly classical and jazz, you should go with ST-10.

simon740

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2018, 11:46 am »
I think it depends on your music preference. If you listen to just about everything, then I think STA-9 is a good choice. But if you listen to mainly classical and jazz, you should go with ST-10.

I listen mainly jazz, blues and rock and little bit classic

regards,
Simon

slash71

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2018, 02:23 pm »
Just added another sta-9  to my previous sta-9 stereo setup , these amps in dual mono are a nirvana !!! Is my "Evolution" course :) 

I've also ST10/DAC10H combo..in my main room , for back to black listening sessions.. !

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2018, 03:45 pm »
How would you rate 2 x STA-9 vs the ST-10?

I debated this prior to my purchase, finally went with the latter (specially due to the DAC), but always had this 'what if' question back in my mind.

Glad to hear you are enjoying them!

Best regards,
Rafa.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2018, 03:29 pm »
Just added another sta-9  to my previous sta-9 stereo setup , these amps in dual mono are a nirvana !!! Is my "Evolution" course :) 

How can you describe sound difference between mono and stereo modes in STA-9?

simon740

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2019, 04:42 pm »
Hello,

anybody use STA-9 or ST-10 with some Dynaudio speakers? Im thinking to buy Dynaudio Confidence C1.
Will be this a good match? I have DAC 9.

regards,
Simon

sone

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2019, 09:53 am »
anybody use STA-9 or ST-10 with some Dynaudio speakers? I'm thinking to buy Dynaudio Confidence C1.
Will be this a good match? I have DAC 9.

Hi simon740,

I use the ST-10 / DAC-9 with the Dynaudio X34. Excellent match.

I tried with 2x STA-9 for speakers, but I somehow missed something in the sound, the soundstage weren't complete. (lack of better words)

I initially had the DAC-9/STA-9 with shelf B&W speakers which was excellent. Upgrade to new Dynaudio speakers and tried with the dual STA-9, it just couldn't deliver with the Dynaudio speakers (even thou power output should be enough)

Upgraded to a single ST-10 - and instantly it sounded as I had expected and searched for.

BTW: I mainly listen to Indie/Rock/Electronic/Pop

Regards

simon740

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2019, 10:59 am »
Hi simon740,

I use the ST-10 / DAC-9 with the Dynaudio X34. Excellent match.

I tried with 2x STA-9 for speakers, but I somehow missed something in the sound, the soundstage weren't complete. (lack of better words)

I initially had the DAC-9/STA-9 with shelf B&W speakers which was excellent. Upgrade to new Dynaudio speakers and tried with the dual STA-9, it just couldn't deliver with the Dynaudio speakers (even thou power output should be enough)

Upgraded to a single ST-10 - and instantly it sounded as I had expected and searched for.

BTW: I mainly listen to Indie/Rock/Electronic/Pop

Regards

Thank you @sone

interesting...
I mainly listen Jazz, Blues, acoustic music, some Rock..
My opinion is that confidence c1 also deserves something more than the STA-9.

regards,
Simon

Chops

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2019, 10:37 am »
I have to disagree with a few statements in this thread. I think the STA 9's are a better match to jazz, classical, blues and acoustic. Dual STA 9's bridged mono even better... Dual STA 9's bridged mono being fed a balanced signal from a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC the best.

I have been listening to tons of various types of music this past week with my new PS Audio DAC/preamp, both digital and vinyl. There's not a thing these amps can't do with the right gear ahead of them. These amps definitely produce a deeper, wider and richer sound stage in bridged mode than a single stereo one does on its own. Bridged, they also offer up added heft and body to the overall sound. What about detail? I'm getting plenty of detail retrieval with these amps in my setup. It's all about synergy

And did I mention pitch black silence? It's like a pure vacuum. Even with my ears up to the tweeters, there's nothing there.

I have no complaints with these amps in my system.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2019, 04:48 pm »
I have to disagree with a few statements in this thread. I think the STA 9's are a better match to jazz, classical, blues and acoustic. Dual STA 9's bridged mono even better... Dual STA 9's bridged mono being fed a balanced signal from a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC the best.

I have been listening to tons of various types of music this past week with my new PS Audio DAC/preamp, both digital and vinyl. There's not a thing these amps can't do with the right gear ahead of them. These amps definitely produce a deeper, wider and richer sound stage in bridged mode than a single stereo one does on its own. Bridged, they also offer up added heft and body to the overall sound. What about detail? I'm getting plenty of detail retrieval with these amps in my setup. It's all about synergy

And did I mention pitch black silence? It's like a pure vacuum. Even with my ears up to the tweeters, there's nothing there.

I have no complaints with these amps in my system.

I am using 2 pcs of STA-9 in vertical bi-amping with preamping by PS Audio, model PCA-2.
I've ordered 2 pcs more, gonna arrange the quadro-amping.  :green: