MCH-K38 under receiver (heat concerns)

Tylerg1976

MCH-K38 under receiver (heat concerns)
« on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:47 pm »
Hello,

I'm getting the mch-k38 and I wondered if it would be suitable for this amplifier to sit underneath a receiver (Marantz SR 7011).

I understand the amplifier manual suggests a minimum of 4 inches. I would understand this concept if this were a class AB amplifier but doesn't the Nuprime run cool enough that you could stack things on top of it?

Thanks in advance!

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: MCH-K38 under receiver (heat concerns)
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:52 pm »
Hello,

I'm getting the mch-k38 and I wondered if it would be suitable for this amplifier to sit underneath a receiver (Marantz SR 7011).

I understand the amplifier manual suggests a minimum of 4 inches. I would understand this concept if this were a class AB amplifier but doesn't the Nuprime run cool enough that you could stack things on top of it?

Thanks in advance

I have that amp. While the heat is minimal at reasonable levels it is high when you are having a real listening session. Even at low volumes I would not put anything on top of it. I had my preamp on top for a bit and it was just too much to take the risk.

Mark

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2018, 10:01 pm »
I had this same issue with the two 10s (DAC and ST) and the amp can get a bit hot (the DAC as well, truth be told).  Yes, they are Class D, but they only have passive heat dissipation through the chassis, so it needs the room to 'breathe'.

Maybe you can reverse and put the receiver at the bottom?

Tylerg1976

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2018, 10:12 pm »
Thanks guys!

Tylerg1976

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2018, 10:15 pm »

I have that amp. While the heat is minimal at reasonable levels it is high when you are having a real listening session. Even at low volumes I would not put anything on top of it. I had my preamp on top for a bit and it was just too much to take the risk.

Mark

How do you like the amplifier? I'm currently using the ida16 and when I first heard it after using Marantz amplification and Rotel it was like hearing a real stereo for the very first time! How would you compare it to other amplifiers you have owned? Are you keeping it forever?

I have to give a shout out to Perry at hi-fi shop direct for introducing me to these class D amplifiers. Completely changed my life!

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2018, 10:18 pm »

How do you like the amplifier? I'm currently using the ida16 and when I first heard it after using Marantz amplification and Rotel it was like hearing a real stereo for the very first time! How would you compare it to other amplifiers you have owned? Are you keeping it forever?

I have to give a shout out to Perry at hi-fi shop direct for introducing me to these class D amplifiers. Completely changed my life!

I have used the 6, 16 and 38. The sound is similar - I use the 38 in 4 x 200. The difference is in the dynamic headroom. There is no strain - just effortless performance of the music. Also the mid and low bass are dramatically improved due to the shear power resulting in better damping control. I use this am in bi and tri development reference.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2018, 10:26 pm »
Hello,

Thanks in advance!

Most always it is a good idea to NOT place other components on top of any amp.

That said, the K-38 is slightly different than the other NuPRIME amps in that it has "ventilation openings" (vents) on top of the chassis.

I have several components stacked on top of mine, BUT. . .I have 1.5" rubber feet (Parts Express) BOTH underneath the K-38 and on top, so that airflow is free and easy.

I leave it on 24/7 and just went out to check the temp.  To the touch it is just "warm".

However, I WOULD NOT suggest doing the same without the same cautionary use of the rubber feet (which also act as a vibration damping measure) on the top and bottom.

You might also consider setting up your IDA-16 in such a way as to employ it BOTH in your HT set up and as a SEPARATE High End 2 channel system.

Tylerg1976

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2018, 10:39 pm »
Most always it is a good idea to NOT place other components on top of any amp.

That said, the K-38 is slightly different than the other NuPRIME amps in that it has "ventilation openings" (vents) on top of the chassis.

I have several components stacked on top of mine, BUT. . .I have 1.5" rubber feet (Parts Express) BOTH underneath the K-38 and on top, so that airflow is free and easy.

I leave it on 24/7 and just went out to check the temp.  To the touch it is just "warm".

However, I WOULD NOT suggest doing the same without the same cautionary use of the rubber feet (which also act as a vibration damping measure) on the top and bottom.

You might also consider setting up your IDA-16 in such a way as to employ it BOTH in your HT set up and as a SEPARATE High End 2 channel system.

Thanks for your advice. Technically, the 16 is set up that way but there is something wrong with the remote or the unit itself. Don't laugh, but I plugged in a chrome audio into one of the inputs on the 16 and changed the input after pressing the home Theatre Pass through buttons and the amplifier put out full volume and I couldn't turn it down.

I didn't want to try anything after that.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2018, 11:27 pm »

Thanks for your advice. Technically, the 16 is set up that way but there is something wrong with the remote or the unit itself. Don't laugh, but I plugged in a chrome audio into one of the inputs on the 16 and changed the input after pressing the home Theatre Pass through buttons and the amplifier put out full volume and I couldn't turn it down.

I didn't want to try anything after that.
It sounds like you activated the theater mode option which would bypass the volume:

This option is precisely intended to pass the signal into another receiver for controlling the volume.

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2018, 11:48 pm »
It sounds like you activated the theater mode option which would bypass the volume:

This option is precisely intended to pass the signal into another receiver for controlling the volume.

I am checking on this now.

I think the manual is in error.  If I am not mistaken, that process by-passes the Volume Control on ALL inputs.

Its only true uses are:

1) To use the IDA-16 as a DAC running the ANALOG outs to another AMP
2) To use the IDA-16 with another Preamp that will ALWAYS control the Volume (thus the 0db setting)

For Home Theater, simply select the ANALOG input from your L&R AVR or PREPRO analog outs, and set the volume control HIGH, like 90db or so.  That Analog Input will remember that setting and always be there.  But when you switch to another source the volume control will not be at full volume.

Each Source input will remember the last setting for THAT input.