How's your car in the snow?

Folsom

Re: How's your car in the snow?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jan 2018, 04:20 am »
ctviggen, you bring up some valid concerns...

I mostly drive a 2009 Rav4. It isn't AWD, but if it senses problems it kicks into 4WD. It also has a locking button but it turns off after 25mph... All over the internet it says that it's FWD when the 4WD isn't engaged. That's 100% a lie. Trust me. I take it out of traction control, including nuisance horse shit that makes you hold it for awhile to get it off... (side to side throttle cuts) Then I spin the rear wheels to make hair pin turns when it's snowy and icy on roads and I want to turn around. I also power slide right before I go into my driveway because simply turning into it on the totally snow & ice covered street I'm on is for the weak... None of which is possible with FWD.

I totally understand your concern about needing to get the damned traction control off at times. Once time I was going somewhere and GPS took me onto a seasonal road, and it was, well, out of season? It looked ok at first but then it ended up being straight up mud-bogging. I turned off the traction control for spinning, as it turns on/off one touch. If it weren't for that I would've been stuck in a couple of seconds. The funny thing was a couple farmers watching me do it, probably prepping to shit a brick because they had no desire to spend the next 2 hours getting me out. And yet I made it somehow... The farmer's truck probably would've got stuck if it actually got into the mud.

The censor that prevent phone calls is a serious issue. In WA state it's an instant $600 ticket, no warning, if they see your phone in your hand. I hate nanny rules like that and wish for everyone to who made it to be turned to dust or sent to Guantanamo as terrorists to the freedom of the people, but we have it. If you can't engage in allowed safe ways of circumventing breaking that law simply because it snowed outside... well... These new cars are starting to drive me crazy. They beep a lot too. If my next car beeps, I will rip apart the entire dash to remove the beeper.

On top of that I can see how a CVT transmission is probably the worst idea ever for snow... It basically encourages spinning.

One of the best snow vehicles I've had was an 80's subaru wagon. It was slow, the block broke... a pile of crap really. But even with bald front tires it could go anywhere in the snow. I purposely drove through several feet of snow in a field instead of a driveway one time. I couldn't open the doors, but I couldn't be stopped!

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jan 2018, 04:38 am »
And WGH, your photo is awesome.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jan 2018, 07:08 am »
Still driving a '77 Jeep Wagneer with full time four wheel drive and off road tires and have never been stuck in 40 years, even through Colorado winters. Weighing in 4230 lbs. the gas mileage isn't that great but this baby will go anywhere. You need one.

In the middle of nowhere, somewhere in Colorado.

40 years is a long time, how has the body held up and how many miles?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jan 2018, 07:19 am »
I purposely drove through several feet of snow in a field instead of a driveway one time. I couldn't open the doors, but I couldn't be stopped!

I'd love to be able to do that. Winter isn't usually a big deal around here but this year has been different.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 5 Jan 2018, 01:19 pm »
My Subie Outback is great in the snow.
NB

+1

Very confidence inspiring ('09 with 4 speed automatic).

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 5 Jan 2018, 01:20 pm »
tires....tires...tires.  If you take driving seriously and drive in serious snow then get the best........ Nokian.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/

+1

Bought them last winter (mild), so this year should find out how they'll perform on our '09 Outback.

WGH

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jan 2018, 03:34 pm »
40 years is a long time, how has the body held up and how many miles?

And WGH, your photo is awesome.

Thanks Folsom.

Jeep has about 270,000 miles, I have a great mechanic. I had the 360 V8 engine rebuilt at 80,000 miles (bad build) and now have 190,000 miles on the rebuild and still doesn't burn oil. A few dents and a little rust but the body is still in pretty good shape, that is the original paint too. Leaf springs have a 2" lift and tires are Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar. Factory air conditioning is cold as a frog, a necessity in Arizona. My daily driver and I always use a heavy duty club on the steering wheel.

Wayne

Funnehaha

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jan 2018, 04:05 pm »
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. Just turned 200,000 miles on it. CVT has been great through every Minnesota winter. As long as you don't plow headon into a snowdrift and lift the front end, you're fine. Replaced the shitty original Dunlops at 20,000 miles. Switched to Michelins and they lasted to 140,000 miles. Now I'm on my second set of Michelins. It works for me.

kingdeezie

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jan 2018, 04:11 pm »
First winter with my A7, and yesterday went surprisingly well despite not having winter tires. My township didn't plow my street, so when I get home last night around 5PM from work, there was still significant snow on the ground.

I didn't have a problem driving through it, and parking the car then. This morning however, there was significant ice and snow stuck to the tires and in the well. Car was shaking like crazy driving. With temperatures in the single digits today, I will have to find some way to deice the well and the tires. Only issue so far. 

Freo-1

« Reply #29 on: 5 Jan 2018, 04:20 pm »
For the most part, it's about the tires. I always put 4 snows on my BMW's over the years with great results. My RWD E39 540i 6-speed was a beast in the snow and slick stuff, as long as it wasn't crazy deep.

Tires make a huge difference.  One of our cars is a  Mercedes C300 AWD, and the OEM tires were not good in the snow.  After replacing the tires with Nokian WR-G3's, the car handles the snow much better.  I had read somewhere that Nokian is a top selling brand in Canada.

Mike B.

« Reply #30 on: 5 Jan 2018, 04:59 pm »
I own a 05 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 two wheel drive pickup and a 10 Chevy Corvette. I have tried both in snow and ice and I now leave both home when we get our infrequent snow storms. The Corvette was the better of the two, but the performance tires left mush to be desired.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jan 2018, 05:19 pm »
I live in MN and I run Continental Pure Contact All Season V Rated performance tires on my Maxima and Acura.  The are rated very good in light snow and I can attest to that.  They stop and handle great and have a comfortable ride for a high performance tire. Consumer reports and Tire Rack had them neck and neck with a pair of Michelin's.   I also have an old Toyota Corolla that was my mother's and I put on General Altimax RT43 T-rated AS tires and they handle well in the snow.  They were rated very good for snow by CR and Tire Rack. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they handle and ride for more of a budget to medium priced tire.

Of course, neither tire could compete with the pair of snow tires that I had on my daughters Mitsu Eclipse.

tonyptony

« Reply #32 on: 5 Jan 2018, 06:18 pm »
I remember my old 1976 Toyota Celica. A little beauty of a car that did surprisingly well in the snow. I used to drive it up in Cambridge when I was in college, and up and down from my parents' house in NY. I remember one year leaving the day after Thanksgiving to drive back up to school. The entire stretch up was covered in heavy snow. It was a great drive. Very few cars on the road. It was one of those supernaturally quiet days where it made me feel like I was driving alone during some post apocalyptic Ice Age. That car did great in the snow.

The best was probably my '93 Ford Explorer Sport. The old 3 door model.

Sorry to read about CVTs and snow. I just bought a 2017 CRV AWD. It was that or the Mazda CX-5. I knew about the CVT vs. real gearing between the two, but the Honda just felt better to me driving. I spent a bit of time behind the wheel of both and came away liking the CRV better. Is a CVT really that much worse in snow?

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #33 on: 5 Jan 2018, 07:43 pm »
All three are excellent on ice. The Miata has cheap Wall-Mart "Ice Radials" which are not very good on snow but pretty good on ice. The PT Cruiser (FWD) is excellent on both ice and snow (Continental ExtremeWinterContact) and the Truck is also excellent on snow (Cooper AT3) but a bit slippery on ice.

The Conti's I have driven in snow where it was high enough where you could see that the plastic engine lower cover was clearing snow behind the car (flat ploughed snow between the tire tracks lower than the snow around the car). They are unusual for the "ice radial" category of winter tires, most are good on ice but useless in any reasonably high snow cover.

The Truck's Coopers can go through any amount of gravel, mud or show, winter or summer, and are fine (not too noisy) on pavement.

I've been running dedicated winter and summer tires for longer than most people. I've tried most of the highly touted brands and compounds; the worst were Nokkians which were great when new but wore very quickly. With most ice-type tires, the ice sticky layer is only on the outside of the full tread, so that they wear down to tires with tread depth left but have lost their grip on ice itself. If they weren't good on snow, then you are left with a fast wearing summer tire that takes longer to brake in warm dry pavement than an all-season in summer.

So I chose the Conti's which are not quite as good as the very best ice radials on slick ice or packed snow, but still much better than all-season tires or winter tires that are mud and snow rated, and they are excellent on any other winter conditions. They will spin for a few rotations taking off from an ice covered intersection, then grip and go, plus they do stick when braking, just that you might travel ten feet or so longer than with something like the top grade Bilzzaks (about the same as the economy grade Bilizzaks). A good compromise in my experience. I am very happy with them and will buy them again in five or six years when they are due for replacement.

I didn't like any of the Michelin ice radials, they last a long time but don't stick as well I as like. Nokians might be good if you live in a normally warm winter climate (more slush, rain and not very cold sub-zero temps) but where I live, not so great. Roads here are always packed snow covered unless a major street ... once snow falls, it stays till spring with few above zero melts ... and the quick wearing means replacement every four years, and you might want to go three. That makes them too expensive; I need tires to last more than 20,000 km (12,000 miles) before they stop sticking.

murphy11

« Reply #34 on: 5 Jan 2018, 09:03 pm »
All three are excellent on ice. The Miata has cheap Wall-Mart "Ice Radials" which are not very good on snow but pretty good on ice. The PT Cruiser (FWD) is excellent on both ice and snow (Continental ExtremeWinterContact) and the Truck is also excellent on snow (Cooper AT3) but a bit slippery on ice.

The Conti's I have driven in snow where it was high enough where you could see that the plastic engine lower cover was clearing snow behind the car (flat ploughed snow between the tire tracks lower than the snow around the car). They are unusual for the "ice radial" category of winter tires, most are good on ice but useless in any reasonably high snow cover.

The Truck's Coopers can go through any amount of gravel, mud or show, winter or summer, and are fine (not too noisy) on pavement.

I've been running dedicated winter and summer tires for longer than most people. I've tried most of the highly touted brands and compounds; the worst were Nokkians which were great when new but wore very quickly. With most ice-type tires, the ice sticky layer is only on the outside of the full tread, so that they wear down to tires with tread depth left but have lost their grip on ice itself. If they weren't good on snow, then you are left with a fast wearing summer tire that takes longer to brake in warm dry pavement than an all-season in summer.

So I chose the Conti's which are not quite as good as the very best ice radials on slick ice or packed snow, but still much better than all-season tires or winter tires that are mud and snow rated, and they are excellent on any other winter conditions. They will spin for a few rotations taking off from an ice covered intersection, then grip and go, plus they do stick when braking, just that you might travel ten feet or so longer than with something like the top grade Bilzzaks (about the same as the economy grade Bilizzaks). A good compromise in my experience. I am very happy with them and will buy them again in five or six years when they are due for replacement.

I didn't like any of the Michelin ice radials, they last a long time but don't stick as well I as like. Nokians might be good if you live in a normally warm winter climate (more slush, rain and not very cold sub-zero temps) but where I live, not so great. Roads here are always packed snow covered unless a major street ... once snow falls, it stays till spring with few above zero melts ... and the quick wearing means replacement every four years, and you might want to go three. That makes them too expensive; I need tires to last more than 20,000 km (12,000 miles) before they stop sticking.
  Miata in snow? You are brave or nuts - like me. I had my 2000 Miata out today following snow in Philly. Drives OK but traction in snow with newer non snow tires in dicey. I'm thinking about throwing a bag of sand, salt and a small shovel in the trunk. Figure extra weight might help - the car is so light that might be part of the handling problems in snow.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #35 on: 5 Jan 2018, 09:20 pm »
I remember my old 1976 Toyota Celica. A little beauty of a car that did surprisingly well in the snow. I used to drive it up in Cambridge when I was in college, and up and down from my parents' house in NY. I remember one year leaving the day after Thanksgiving to drive back up to school. The entire stretch up was covered in heavy snow. It was a great drive. Very few cars on the road. It was one of those supernaturally quiet days where it made me feel like I was driving alone during some post apocalyptic Ice Age. That car did great in the snow.

The best was probably my '93 Ford Explorer Sport. The old 3 door model.

Sorry to read about CVTs and snow. I just bought a 2017 CRV AWD. It was that or the Mazda CX-5. I knew about the CVT vs. real gearing between the two, but the Honda just felt better to me driving. I spent a bit of time behind the wheel of both and came away liking the CRV better. Is a CVT really that much worse in snow?

My Maxima and Murano both have CVT's.  I love them and I have had no problems with them in the snow or ice.  The Murano is AWD however.

tonyptony

« Reply #36 on: 6 Jan 2018, 01:51 am »
I had a '94 Maxima too. :D A beast of a car. Much more nimble than people would expect. I bought it after my '89 Supra got stolen. :x But I could never get comfortable behind the wheel. The wheel/pedal/seat alignment was just wrong for me. Couldn't really appreciate that until after owning the car for a while. My wife loved it so it went to her. :)

twitch54

« Reply #37 on: 6 Jan 2018, 02:04 am »

Tires make a huge difference.  One of our cars is a  Mercedes C300 AWD, and the OEM tires were not good in the snow.  After replacing the tires with Nokian WR-G3's, the car handles the snow much better.  I had read somewhere that Nokian is a top selling brand in Canada.

As said in my previous post Nokian is considered by most to be 'tops' no matter where you reside. Being born and raised in Buffalo, NY , a life long snowmobiler who has traveled through winter weather the likes that most will never know, I love 'em !

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #38 on: 6 Jan 2018, 03:39 am »
As said in my previous post Nokian is considered by most to be 'tops' no matter where you reside. Being born and raised in Buffalo, NY , a life long snowmobiler who has traveled through winter weather the likes that most will never know, I love 'em !

They do have the best performance in the snow, but not so great on dry pavement... For those whose roads are dry most of the time but temps are low performance snow tires are a miracle. The combination of performance in the snow and on dry, cold pavement is amazing. Summer tires don't work in the cold even if it's dry, so if you switch between summer and winter tires and live where it's dry/cold a lot of the winter these are the best type of tire to buy imo.

Sizes on Michelin PA4 are unfortunately limited, but other manufacturers are offering similar tires that might have more size selection. My Subie has gone through 8" of heavy snow (3"+ over the front air dam) with no problems and did ok with ice racing. IMO you need spikes to make ice racing worthwhile but it's a fun experience. Basically, traction control that can do amazing things in the snow doesn't work on ice, so I had no advantage over any other 4wd vehicle. Disappointing, but I think it would be different with spikes and the car would be very fast because the traction control / torque vectoring would be an unfair advantage. :) They've come a LONG way in recent years....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Alpin+PA4

Folsom

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jan 2018, 04:46 am »
Switching tires works great. Switching wheels is better but you have to buy much more expensive factory wheels with sensors now...