Suggestions for Altec Valencia mods?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Suggestions for Altec Valencia mods?
« on: 8 Oct 2017, 02:23 am »
Just picked up a pair of Altec Valencia 486a's for next to nothing.  I read a lot about the horn ringing.  Anyone out there had experience dampening one?
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2017, 03:48 am by S Clark »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Suggestions for Altec Valencia mods?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2017, 05:13 pm »
I'll bump this one time to see if their are any Valencia owners, present or past, that can give me some guidance.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2017, 05:24 pm »
I have a pair in the living room (they’re on loan).  The guys over at Great Plains Audio say that going with an outboard electronic crossover and moving the crossover point up to 1200 is a huge improvement.  I haven’t tried that yet, but it do have enough gear to make that happen.  I believe Art Dudley argued against doing any treatments to the horn and used his in their vintage stock form. 

Check out the Great Plains Audio website for more info on the crossover change.

Good luck and let us know how your journey progresses.

Mark

gab

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2017, 06:02 pm »
Just picked up a pair of Altec Valencia 486a's for next to nothing.  I read a lot about the horn ringing.  Anyone out there had experience dampening one?

Steve - if you haven't already, check in with the folks at these 2 sites:

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/altec-users-board.html

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/

There may be other sites as well, but I'd start there vs AC. I had some Klipschorns many moons ago and used Plasticine modeling clay I bought from Micheals to damp the mid horn. It was cheap and I don't think it hurts anything but who knows how much it really helped either. Good luck with your your new toy!

gab