Connecting HDMI to a stereo preamp/integrated

Don_S

Connecting HDMI to a stereo preamp/integrated
« on: 29 Sep 2017, 03:16 pm »
I know an HT receiver can be used on bypass to connect to a two-channel system.  But I only have two channels.  Call me an under achiever but that is all I want. All I have room for. And I will take two great channels over 5 or more mediocre channels every time.

I do want to connect my TV and several DVRs with HDMI outputs.  I am currently using a 5-channel Integra HT receiver in bypass mode.  I think the receiver is failing so I am looking at options.

I would like to replace it with something simpler. The new HT receivers I look at are even more complicated with most having 7-channels. That is 7 channels more amplification than I need in bypass mode. Total mess in the rear where connections are made.

I have an HDMI switch but it is HDMI in/out.  Is there any way to get the connections I need without buying a monster receiver that will only act as a switch? I could probably use the RCA outputs from my current TV but it is over 10 years old and I am not sure what outputs to expect from new TVs.  Do they have RCA out?  My current TV will not pass a digital signal that was not originated by the TV. Will new TVs pass a digital signal from an input such as a DVR/Bluray? 

Thanks for any suggestions.

undertowogt1

Re: Connecting HDMI to a stereo preamp/integrated
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2017, 03:56 pm »
I just bought this (see link) from Ali Express, I got one for about 40 bucks Canadian. I bought it to run HDMI from my Laptop in order to listen to Blue Ray Images of Surround Audio. It can be run in 2 Channel mode as well as 5.1 as well as Pass through only. It works at decoding the audio signal but so far it has a WHOOSH sound constantly when sound is passing through it. I have fiddled with setting etc but it still is not usable.  Dont buy this one, I am not happy with it at all, but maybe look for something like this it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HDMI-Digital-Audio-Decoder-HDMI-to-HDMI-VGA-SPDIF-5-1-Surround-Sound-Converter-Adapter-Singapore/607905_2053367090.html

WC

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2017, 04:09 pm »
Don,

Do you have a separate two channel amp/preamp or are you wanting this AVR to be the whole system?

Regarding new TVs, it will vary slightly via manufacturer. My Vizio TV has analog and toslink output. I can play the Roku through the TV and pass the signal digitally to the AVR as 2 channel PCM. So if your TV has enough HDMI inputs for you, you could run HDMI to the TV from your sources, and run Toslink to any DAC or stereo digital preamp. If you have a Bluray player and want better sound just connect the digital out to a DAC. Going to only 2 channel simplifies things.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2017, 04:19 pm »
I just bought this (see link) from Ali Express, I got one for about 40 bucks Canadian. I bought it to run HDMI from my Laptop in order to listen to Blue Ray Images of Surround Audio. It can be run in 2 Channel mode as well as 5.1 as well as Pass through only. It works at decoding the audio signal but so far it has a WHOOSH sound constantly when sound is passing through it. I have fiddled with setting etc but it still is not usable.  Dont buy this one, I am not happy with it at all, but maybe look for something like this it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HDMI-Digital-Audio-Decoder-HDMI-to-HDMI-VGA-SPDIF-5-1-Surround-Sound-Converter-Adapter-Singapore/607905_2053367090.html

Thanks for the suggestion.  The item is no longer available and you do not recommend it but I can search for it on Amazon and see what pops in their suggestions of what others have purchased.

undertowogt1

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2017, 04:25 pm »
Maybe you just need an HDMI audio decoder, there are tons of them that decode just to STEREO for very cheap on amazon etc.

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2017, 04:37 pm »
New TV's typically have 3-4 hdmi in ports and an optical toslink out/RCA out which you can connect to your receiver. Hook all of your AV sources to the TV and use the TV remote to switch sources. Go to your local Best Buy to shop and you'll find one. Enjoy :D

srb

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2017, 05:02 pm »
Although there are TV models that have RCA (or 1/8"/3.5mm) stereo analog audio outputs, there are more models that don't and only have an optical digital audio output, so shop carefully.

Some TVs with optical output only may only pass the original Dolby or DTS multi-channel signal and if the TV itself doesn't have a menu option to output 2 channel PCM, then it falls upon each HDMI source to have that menu option capability.

But TVs that do have a stereo analog output pretty much insures that multi-channel digital HDMI sources will be mixed down to stereo.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2017, 05:37 pm »
Thanks for all the input. I did not know to look in the source menu to change the output.  I do not care about sound quality for the few movies I watch or TV shows recorded from my antenna.  I do care about the quality of my music so the 2-channel components will be selected carefully.  I am only going to have two channel so other formats will have to be down-mixed at some point.

Optical out from a TV may not be all that useful even if it is possible as a pass-through. I would need an integrated unit that has DAC functions and an optical input. That limits my choices although one integrated I am considering would work.

My new home has an HDMI port low on the TV wall and another one mounted higher to be behind a wall-mounted TV. They are connected.  There is also a power outlet there.  That hides those two cables but for some strange reason the coax outlet is only mounted low on the wall so that cable would not be hidden.  I don't know why they only did half the job. I guess if they put it high someone would be upset if they did not want to mount their TV.  I would like to do all my HDMI connecting at the equipment rack and use only one hidden HDMI connection to the TV.

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2017, 06:00 pm »
Thanks for all the input. I did not know to look in the source menu to change the output.  I do not care about sound quality for the few movies I watch or TV shows recorded from my antenna.  I do care about the quality of my music so the 2-channel components will be selected carefully.  I am only going to have two channel so other formats will have to be down-mixed at some point.

Optical out from a TV may not be all that useful even if it is possible as a pass-through. I would need an integrated unit that has DAC functions and an optical input. That limits my choices although one integrated I am considering would work.

My new home has an HDMI port low on the TV wall and another one mounted higher to be behind a wall-mounted TV. They are connected.  There is also a power outlet there.  That hides those two cables but for some strange reason the coax outlet is only mounted low on the wall so that cable would not be hidden.  I don't know why they only did half the job. I guess if they put it high someone would be upset if they did not want to mount their TV.  I would like to do all my HDMI connecting at the equipment rack and use only one hidden HDMI connection to the TV.

You need a new receiver with enough HDMI in and an RCA out. Check out accessories4less.com. Since your main interest is 2 channel audio check out Cambridge:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/camb551rsl/cambridge-audio-azur-551r-7.1-ch-x-60-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2017, 07:26 pm »
Onkyo and Pioneer Elite have 2 channel receivers with HDMI inputs

fredgarvin

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2017, 07:37 pm »
Or, without having to buy a boat anchor AVR, you can send hdmi video from your dvd player to your tv and get a 2 channel receiver without HDMI, and it's issues. probably better audio sound as well. Send the audio from your player to the receiver via coax or rca.

Don_S

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2017, 07:44 pm »
Onkyo and Pioneer Elite have 2 channel receivers with HDMI inputs

Doublej,  I have not checked Onkyo yet but I did look at Pioneer Elite after you suggested it.  I cannot find 2-channel models with HDMI. Do you know model numbers or have a link?

fredgarvin,  I have more sources to connect than the TV has inputs. In addition, I want to use the single, hidden in the wall HDMI line.

witchdoctor

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2017, 07:48 pm »
Doublej,  I have not checked Onkyo yet but I did look at Pioneer Elite after you suggested it.  I cannot find 2-channel models with HDMI. Do you know model numbers or have a link?

fredgarvin,  I have more sources to connect than the TV has inputs. In addition, I want to use the single, hidden in the wall HDMI line.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktx8270/onkyo-tx-8270-2-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-stereo-receiver/1.html

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2017, 08:21 pm »
Connect all HDMI to your TV (if there are enough inputs) and use the ARC or optical out to go to a DAC.  Another option is the Essence Audio HDACC.  You would still need the HDMI switch, but the DAC in this unit is quite nice for the money and includes an HDMI in/out not found on most other DAC's.

Don_S

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2017, 09:52 pm »
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/2-Channel+Components/SX-S30

Doublej,  That looked promising until I found out there is no HT-bypass.  No preamp out except for subwoofer.

cliffy

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2017, 10:14 pm »
Atlona has a few products that may work for you.

https://atlona.com/product/at-uhd-sw-51/

I have a 4 way switcher that I use to send the PCM stereo data to my NuPrime IDA-16.  The product I have is discontinued but they have a new version that may work for you. https://atlona.com/product/at-hd4-v41/

Doublej

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2017, 10:32 pm »
Marantz NR1506 or NR508 perhaps? Preamp out for L/R as well as L/R bypass, Direct and Pure Direct modes.

The Pioneer has a

DIRECT button: This switches the unit to the "Direct" mode which shuts down
processing that affects sound quality, so sound closer to the original is reproduced.

Don_S

« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:10 pm »
Atlona has a few products that may work for you.

https://atlona.com/product/at-uhd-sw-51/

I have a 4 way switcher that I use to send the PCM stereo data to my NuPrime IDA-16.  The product I have is discontinued but they have a new version that may work for you. https://atlona.com/product/at-hd4-v41/

Thanks.  Promising but expensive.  I will have to check out the active switching.  I frequently watch one DVR while recording on another.  That could be problematic.

So far my best option seems to be use the HDMI switch I have and make sure any new TV I purchase has RCA audio out. That may get harder as time passes.  Plan B, IF the TV will pass digital I can use a preamp/integrated with optical input but that limits my TV and preamp/integrated choices. .

fredgarvin

« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:17 pm »

On mine I just have the DVD player, Roku streamer and an actual VHS. With the Roku I run the hDMI to a little monoprice switcher that sends audio via optical to my receiver, HDMI to the tv.