Recommended Jazz clubs in the French Quarter?

Nordkapp

Recommended Jazz clubs in the French Quarter?
« on: 26 Sep 2017, 05:56 pm »
Wifey and I will be in New Orleans over Columbus day weekend. Any suggestions on decent jazz music venues?

deadhead

Re: Recommended Jazz clubs in the French Quarter?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2017, 06:36 pm »
Skip the Quarter and head straight to Frenchman Street.  There's plenty online about who's playing where.  During the day the National Park Service usually has some excellent concerts.  If you can get in, try Preservation Hall as well.  PM me if you need restaurant ideas (My son recently graduated Tulane).

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2017, 07:50 pm »
Ditto - best Jazz is on Frenchmans Street. You can see a ticketed jazz show, then cross the street to a bar and see a Cajun band, then cross the street again and see a big brass band. Walk back to your hotel through the French Quarter and see a bunch of guitar blues bands and have a few drinks before sunrise.

Final recommendation - a week in the French Quarter will kill you. Four days is about right.

Nordkapp

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2017, 10:19 pm »
Awesome! Thanks guys. We will definitely head over there. We are getting in Friday mid day and heading home on Monday.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2017, 11:25 am »
Skip the Quarter and head straight to Frenchman Street.  There's plenty online about who's playing where.  During the day the National Park Service usually has some excellent concerts.  If you can get in, try Preservation Hall as well.  PM me if you need restaurant ideas (My son recently graduated Tulane).

+1

Note that Frenchman Street is on the eastern edge of the French Quarter.  Try to catch the House of Blues, Preservation Hall, and Zydeco on rowdy Bourbon Street.