Just bought my first marble nOrhs!

SteveSatch

Just bought my first marble nOrhs!
« on: 30 Nov 2015, 12:49 am »
I've always wanted marble 4.0s and now I have three after they arrive!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norh-4-0-Loudspeakers-in-Black-Marble-Left-Right-and-shielded-Center-channel-/262157965858?hash=item3d09d51a22:g:ObAAAOSw7NNUFh2G

Yes that means yesterday I bought 5 black ceramic 4.0s (see other thread) and today I bought three marble black 4.0s.  When I bought the black ceramic yesterday I did not know the deal for the marble would go through.  I already own dark military green ceramic 4.0s and sky blue ceramic 4.0s.  I may own the most 4.0s of anyone out there with 18 once they arrive.

Folsom

Re: Just bought my first marble nOrhs!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2015, 12:54 am »
It's funny, I just asked DannyR if he'd redone crossovers on NOrh speakers, and was wondering if anyone still owned any of them? They're suppose to be very good, but the crossovers were never as good as the speaker itself.

I use to think they're funny looking, but after so many years I can only gain an interest in their aesthetic because it's not a box.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2015, 01:32 am »
Hey congrats!

I have 2 black Marble 4.0s.

I also have 5 Marble 9.0s - 2 black, 2 white, and 1 rose. Also 2 Marble 4.0s and 2 Prism 3s made of Teak.

Here is a current link to the 4.0s. It doesn't mention the ceramic 4.0s which were a big hit I think. Also they were originally only Vifa drivers I believe.  *sigh* not the company it used to be.

http://www.norh.com/Norh_Loudspeakers/Marble_4.html

SteveSatch

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2015, 02:31 am »
Yes ceramic and synthetic marble are gone from nOrh.  They started using those DC Gold drivers a few years ago.  When I researched it back then I saw DC Gold were outdoor drivers meant for boats.  Weird.  Yes, different company for sure.  Michael Barnes has been back in the States for several years and I would be very surprised if nOrh sells any speakers at all to people in the States.  They don't ship here free anymore.  I've heard for several years now you won't even get a reply if you e-mail them.  Click "buy now" on a product on their web page and you just get an error message.  My guess is they might sell one pair of speakers a month to people in that area.  nOrh very much ended up being viewed as a fad in the speaker world with attention during '00-'02.  Very few people in the speaker world now has ever even heard of them.  I bought my first set of 5 ceramic 4.0s in 9-'01 when they had the deal of 5 for $800 or $850 shipped free.  I've always had some nOrh 4.0s in use since then.

SteveSatch

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2015, 02:34 am »
I think the crossover he designed was for the 9.0 and I heard the 6.9 also has a frequency response that was odd like the 9.0.  I don't think the 4.0 has ever had any criticism about it's graph.  The 4.0s don't do much at all for me for music, for for HT I adore them.  Even better that they look so unique.

It's funny, I just asked DannyR if he'd redone crossovers on NOrh speakers, and was wondering if anyone still owned any of them? They're suppose to be very good, but the crossovers were never as good as the speaker itself.

I use to think they're funny looking, but after so many years I can only gain an interest in their aesthetic because it's not a box.

SteveSatch

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2015, 12:46 am »
Damaged grill pegs on the marble
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2017, 02:21 pm by SteveSatch »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2015, 01:30 am »
Steve,

Has the seller or shipping company made good on the two destroyed speakers? I remember the pics you posted and can imagine your pain upon discovering them.

Regards,

Michael

SteveSatch

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2015, 01:45 am »
I got $ for the two destroyed ceramic speakers and the two damaged grills on the three ceramic 4.0s I kept in that deal.  I am OK with that. 
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2017, 02:19 pm by SteveSatch »

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2015, 02:48 am »
Sorry to hear that -  good luck