Charney Audio Tractrix Horn Builder

flat4

Re: Charney Audio Tractrix Horn Builder
« Reply #40 on: 7 Apr 2018, 11:41 pm »
So still loving these speakers more and more. I have put some 5x7 carpets on my sidewalls and Michael Green corner tunes in my room. It settled down the room and made a big improvement in my soundstage and imaging. I also am now 33 inches off the front wall and 19.5 inches to center of the drivers from the sidewall. I also have them set with no toe in. Nice increase in depth of soundstage.

These are the things that are optimizing these bad boys. YMMV

flat4

« Reply #41 on: 7 Apr 2018, 11:42 pm »
So still loving these speakers more and more. I have put some 5x7 carpets on my sidewalls and Michael Green corner tunes in my room. It settled down the room and made a big improvement in my soundstage and imaging. I also am now 33 inches off the front wall and 19.5 inches to center of the drivers from the sidewall. I also have them set with no toe in. Nice increase in depth of soundstage.

Chris i apologize. I still owe you a phone call.

rodge827

« Reply #42 on: 8 Apr 2018, 12:00 am »
That’s ok was just listening to my Maestros and loving it  :D

rodge827

« Reply #43 on: 8 Apr 2018, 12:31 pm »

I have been moving mine around a little lately too. They are currently deep in the corners of my 11x15x8 room with the driver 38" from the front wall and 23" from the side walls toed in to go just past my ears, and 7'3" apart from center of the driver.  A 3'x6' absorption panel mounted on the rear wall, pleated shade in between the speakers and Michael Green Corner Tunes in all four corners. Nothing on the side walls is needed since they are toed in. I have been playing around with the reflection points for quite a while and this is the best for my room. BTW I just wallpapered and added some shelving to the room. I use the space as a home office, music room, and man cave.

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2018, 10:58 am by rodge827 »

flat4

« Reply #44 on: 15 Apr 2018, 09:32 am »
Seems my system room and sound are evolving at an astonishing rate!  It is now a 2 channel theater room also. I was playing with a dual core for room correction. Liked some of the things it did but preferred my Benchmark dac 3. I could see the potential of room correction and picked up the new Dspeaker X4 from Walter at Underwood. All i can say is wow! Totally smoothed out the entire frequency range from top to bottom! Added to the width and depth of soundsatge gave me even more defined space around instruments and when i run my subs for movie watching it integrates them in a way i couldn't come close to.

X4 has been running non stop and is sounding better by the day as it breaks in. Looks like the antimode 2.0 and Benchmark are gonna be going on the chopping block. I didn't think i could improve much but it keeps getting better and i am really glad i have the Charneys as my mains. It is the one thing i do not need to change/upgrade.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2018, 12:02 am by flat4 »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #45 on: 15 Apr 2018, 10:40 am »
As an owner of the Dual Core it's good to get some "real world" feedback on the X4.   :thumb:  Flat frequency response is revelation, isn't it?

Have you tried using the Dual Core and DAC3 together (Dual Core for DSP and DAC3 for D>A conversion) and compared to the X4?

Last year had Schiit Freya and Gungnir MB in house.  Rolled tubes on the Freya, tried all three settings, tried every possible combination with and without the Dual Core, ended up sending them back (after blowing one of the nice NOS tubes).  They made 10% of my iTunes ripped CD library sound better but 30% sound worse.  Note that I'm retired so have 40+ years at this and can put in lots of listening hours.  Really wanted to like the Schiit stuff as I like the upgradability and no nonsense product design.

flat4

« Reply #46 on: 15 Apr 2018, 01:23 pm »
JLM i did not try that combo. I could see the benefit of room correction so in a weeks time i jumped up to the X4.LOL I have thought about usin the dac3 with the x4 but i think at this point it will not be any better. Might be worse adding another set of interconnects etc?

Yes cleaning things up is definitely a revelation and believe me i was very sceptical but i like to stay open minded. Glad i am. As you know X4 has peq and tilt controls etc.. I have yet to find a need to boost or cut anything over what autocorrection adjusted. Seriously loving it!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #47 on: 15 Apr 2018, 02:06 pm »
What I meant was using the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core (for DSP only, digital input and output), then inputing to the Benchmark DAC3 for digital conversion and preamp combination versus the X4 by itself.  Wonder how that would compare.

flat4

« Reply #48 on: 15 Apr 2018, 04:05 pm »
What I meant was using the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core (for DSP only, digital input and output), then inputing to the Benchmark DAC3 for digital conversion and preamp combination versus the X4 by itself.  Wonder how that would compare.

JLM, no i didn't try that. Honestly probably won't at this point. X4 is working really good so will probably just put the 2.0 Dual Core and the Benchmark up for sale. Using them with no room correction etc just as dac/pre for me in order of best to not the best lol goes Benchmark, with X4 not too far behind and dual core last by a significant margin. It isn't bad by any means and for the price it is something i could live with.

When running Dual Core with room correction i still preferred my Benchmark. So i feel with X4 i have pretty much combined best of both worlds with one set of interconnects and one power cord.

classical music lover

« Reply #49 on: 9 Jul 2018, 04:37 am »
Flat4,
Brian is right try a low powered tube amp.  2a3, 300b there are others but Lowthers love tubes.  I have owned Lowthers for over 20 years and they sound incredible with my 7 watt tube amp.

flat4

« Reply #50 on: 27 Aug 2018, 10:53 pm »
Flat4,
Brian is right try a low powered tube amp.  2a3, 300b there are others but Lowthers love tubes.  I have owned Lowthers for over 20 years and they sound incredible with my 7 watt tube amp.

Not a tube guy and they were sounding good with my ss. Taking my system in a different direction so these along with my Kinergetic subs and Benchmark Dac3 will be in the classifieds in the fall.