Maple Slabs - Unfinished?

roscoe65

Re: Maple Blocks - Unfinished?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Apr 2015, 12:30 am »
Hm I thought people might be excited about cheap custom cut blocks. oh well.

I just bought two 10" x 18" cutting boards or I would be all over this.  If I can return them I may take you up on this.

Folsom

Re: Maple Slabs - Unfinished?
« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2015, 12:03 am »
Cutting boards are laminated.

I've run into a problem, I can't do as large of a size some of you are interested in, yet. It takes a rather large planer to go to 18-24 inches width. I've got to see how close they are when I make it back to the place, as I might be able to thickness sand them to the right height and flatness if they're reasonable.

GentleBender

« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2015, 07:12 pm »
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Is lamination bad?

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2015, 08:14 pm »
I've decided to circumvent needing a planer and off a cut above, with doing a router jig. It's actually easier to get a machined quality surface this way.

I could laminte; but if finish, specific size, and the amount of lamination isn't important, cutting boards are cheap. They're also very different in nature. The stiffness is increased a lot by glue, and the energy won't try to travel horizontal, which increases the wood characteristic instead of acting like a stiff stilt so I imagine. Either way, slab isn't as easy to come by. To have slab cut by the arborist I can buy it from, costs more than than pieces some of you have asked me about!
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2015, 05:07 pm by Salis Audio »

GentleBender

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2015, 12:24 pm »
I could laminte; but if finish, specific size, and the amount of lamination isn't important, cutting boards are cheap. They're also very different in nature. The stiffness is increased a lot by glue, and the energy won't try to travel horizontal, which increases the wood characteristic instead of acting like a stiff stilt so I imagine.
That makes sense! I hadn't thought of that. How often would we have to oil the slabs if we went natural?

Either way, slab isn't as easy to come by. To have slab cut by the arborist I can buy it from, costs more than than pieces some of you have asked me about!
I know it will be a couple months before I can commit, but maybe we can keep this going until enough people are interested to make this work for you. I'm sure there are more people interested in something like this. Like you said, a whole slab at four inches thick is not easy to come by. :nono:

lokie

« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2015, 12:02 pm »
What's a planet?

Sounds like your  busy, but when you get a chance, could you post a few pictures as an example of what your talking about?

srb

« Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2015, 02:06 pm »
What's a planet?

According to Wikipedia,

"... an astronomical object orbiting a star or stellar remnant that

-  is massive enough to be rounded by its own gravity
-  is not massive enough to cause thermonuclear fusion
-  has cleared its neighboring region of planetesimals"

But I'm pretty sure the intended word was PLANER  ;)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 25 Apr 2015, 02:11 pm »
Could be planetary saw since the topic is about wood?

lokie

« Reply #28 on: 25 Apr 2015, 02:39 pm »
What about Pluto?

GentleBender

« Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2015, 03:14 pm »
What's a planet?

Sounds like your  busy, but when you get a chance, could you post a few pictures as an example of what your talking about?

Pretty sure he meant planar. He mentioned needing one earlier in the thread.

Folsom

« Reply #30 on: 25 Apr 2015, 05:10 pm »
What's a planet?

:lol:

Planer. It's not an issue anymore, I just thought I should be using one. They're convenient but due to the sizes people are interested in purchasing later this year, I can't use the one in the shop atm. They get surprisingly expensive once you go above 15".

Ya, I'll get some pictures of the rough stuff when I can. Again I might have to get the arborist to cut bigger pieces that'll dry depending on what he's got. I wasn't sure what size people would want when I went to check on whether it was available at all!