• Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Maraschino Early Adopter SPECIAL
« on: 8 Nov 2013, 10:16 am »

Product Brief:
https://www.digitalamp.com/MARA_INTRO_NOV_2013.pdf

More Photos (NEW):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;album=11804

List price is $4000/pair.  We are offering a very special deal until the end of this month.  Simply PayPal $1950 USD to Support@DigitalAmp.com (not case sensitive) to purchase a PAIR of brand new Maraschino monoblocks!

Here's the fine print....  By accepting this deal, you agree to provide a review, which includes an equipment list.  We will contact you separately to arrange shipping.

Thanks.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Maraschino Early Adopter SPECIAL
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2013, 03:29 pm »
We'll post answers here for convenience.  The special includes an RCA (single ended) adapter for each amp.  The power cord is not included since most customers like to use their own cords.  If you need a cord, let us know via Support@DigitalAmp.com or a private Audio Circle message.

.... and, Happy Friday!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2013, 04:34 pm »
We will ask via email if you prefer the black or brass screws on top after receiving your order.  Thanks again :D

Cheeseboy

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2013, 04:48 pm »
I have a Cherry with some upgrades.  Love it. 

How would you describe the difference in the Marashino versus the Cherry line?   

At that the new mono blocks are a steal. 

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2013, 07:41 pm »
I have a Cherry with some upgrades.  Love it. 

How would you describe the difference in the Marashino versus the Cherry line?   

At that the new mono blocks are a steal.

Glad you love your Cherry!

The Maraschino is designed to be the most transparent amplifier possible. It's more or less a group of improvements on the original Cherry, so, it was designed to be an even better sounding amp. However, the big Cherry simply puts out more power and sounds more like a tube amp.

The speed and imaging of the Maraschino is quite amazing, and is the first thing that you'll notice in a direct comparison.

Thanks, and have a great weekend :)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2013, 08:00 pm »
Yes, we can take a check instead of PayPal.  This is actually better for us since PayPal charges a significant percentage.

As always, just send an email if this is what you prefer.

Thanks again !

Photon46

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2013, 12:14 pm »
Tommy, I've followed your product line development with interest and your newest offering takes a major design detour from previous designs. The tiny footprint begs the question; what happened to the power supply?? Stout and heavy power supply was one of the primary features that distinguished your amps from other competitors and your latest offering obviously takes a different design approach. Casework and power supply implementation obviously accounted for a significant part of the build cost in prior amps and the smaller footprint Maraschino has reduced those costs. So, if possible to answer without without giving away proprietary design info to competitors, can you explain where build costs go to account for the fact that your retail price remains roughly equivalent to your other amps after reducing the costs of installing a large traditional power supply. To my uneducated eye, your new amp seems to occupy a product niche similar to the one Kharma Matrix MP 150 populated (but at a lower price point than theirs.)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2013, 01:51 pm »
Tommy, I've followed your product line development with interest and your newest offering takes a major design detour from previous designs. The tiny footprint begs the question; what happened to the power supply?? Stout and heavy power supply was one of the primary features that distinguished your amps from other competitors and your latest offering obviously takes a different design approach. Casework and power supply implementation obviously accounted for a significant part of the build cost in prior amps and the smaller footprint Maraschino has reduced those costs. So, if possible to answer without without giving away proprietary design info to competitors, can you explain where build costs go to account for the fact that your retail price remains roughly equivalent to your other amps after reducing the costs of installing a large traditional power supply. To my uneducated eye, your new amp seems to occupy a product niche similar to the one Kharma Matrix MP 150 populated (but at a lower price point than theirs.)

As noted earlier in this thread "It's more or less a group of improvements on the original Cherry, so, it was designed to be an even better sounding amp".  That's the TECHNOLOGY, mostly contained in the board level design.  Regarding the different external topology, we wanted to physically implement this amp with a different mentality instead of "the same old thing", so this is not the same old packaging.  The Maraschino's packaging adds to its performance.

Our patented physical implementation allows best use of the board level technology.  We made the power supply external for several reasons, one of which is to allow users of the Maraschino to benefit from various power supply options.

Regarding margins (which you imply above), ours have always been just about the lowest in the industry.  This extreme-quality hardware is quite expensive to make.  Much more expensive, we believe, than with other amp makers.  We can pull this off because the cost of our technology isn't heavily burdened with trade shows, advertising, or massive dealer mark-ups.  We focus on R&D instead.  This simply means our customers get a lot more hardware for the money than they can get pretty much anywhere else.  Our concentration is on our customers, who we treat with the respect they deserve.

We are also smart.  We really think things through.  This design has been in the works for......  well, a while.  The end result is that the Maraschino is simply an amazing amplifier.

Thanks for your post, and have a great weekend.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2013, 02:24 pm »
We received comments about Maraschinos yesterday: "sounded like a different recording" and "never heard anything that CLEAR"!

RCduck7

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2013, 06:00 pm »
That is great news. I am one of the early adopters and i just got a pair of new speakers from Carnegie Acoustics that are modified by Danny Ritchie from GR-Research. These speakers with their planar tweeter sound very transparant and detailed in the highs and certainly not harsch. They run on ice power from a Teac streamer with built in amp right now. If the Maraschinos sound even more clear it would be breathtaking. I also have Hyperionsound 938 speakers and i will set them up as soon as i finished my HT room. These are maybe a little less transparant in the highs but much more in the midrange. I'm looking forward trying the Maraschinos in my setup and in my 2nd future setup.

rodge827

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2013, 06:56 pm »
Were the Maraschino amps at the NY/NJ Rave a few weeks ago? 

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2013, 07:46 pm »
If you mean the one at Deepak with the Lampi then yes.

rodge827

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2013, 08:09 pm »
If you mean the one at Deepak with the Lampi then yes.

hifial, Thanks for the response.

Those little guys sounded exceptional on a speaker notorious for letting you know how your upstream components sound, wort's and all.
I was surprised to find out they were a digital amp, let alone that those two little black boxes were amplifiers!

Chris

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2013, 05:23 pm »
hifial, Thanks for the response.

Those little guys sounded exceptional on a speaker notorious for letting you know how your upstream components sound, wort's and all.
I was surprised to find out they were a digital amp, let alone that those two little black boxes were amplifiers!

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

By the way, the amps you heard are prototypes. They don't have the OPA input stage. They also don't have the updated, even higher BW. Plus, the granite and sorbothane on the "real deal" make the sound EVEN BETTER!  :D

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2013, 08:53 pm »
Thanks, Chris.

By the way, the amps you heard are prototypes. They don't have the OPA input stage. They also don't have the updated, even higher BW. Plus, the granite and sorbothane on the "real deal" make the sound EVEN BETTER!  :D

Tommy, I am very glad to hear you say that as I was not that happy with the sound of your amps at Deepak that day. I tossed it up to the system and that your amps needed some time to settle in. The amps were very "clear" and "transparent" but I also heard a little hardness and thinness. I know from experience that even small things can make a big impact on the sound of an amp. Now I will have to get the opportunity to hear how they truly sound for I know how well your previous designs sounded.

rodge827

« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2013, 01:41 am »
Tommy, I am very glad to hear you say that as I was not that happy with the sound of your amps at Deepak that day. I tossed it up to the system and that your amps needed some time to settle in. The amps were very "clear" and "transparent" but I also heard a little hardness and thinness. I know from experience that even small things can make a big impact on the sound of an amp. Now I will have to get the opportunity to hear how they truly sound for I know how well your previous designs sounded.

I arrived at Deepaks a little late and took some time to move around the house and meet a few of the guys.
I only listened to Tommy's amps with the 47 labs transport some guy brought with a massive and very heavy battery power supply. 
Poor guy (me) had to lug it upstairs then down to the basement, then back up to the family room. My chiropractor loves it when I do that kind of stuff. :roll:
The transport was connected to the Lampizator BIG Six  the Dodd preamp and then the D.A.C.'s amps.
I thought they sounded pretty good, but have never listened to D.A.C.'s other creations for comparison. As usual there are always tradeoffs and in a rave setting one can only get a taste of what's going on, and what I heard they tasted pretty darn good. :D
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2013, 01:01 pm by rodge827 »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2013, 05:48 am »

Well, even the prototypes didn't have any harshness!  Some other system issues were probably revealed. The Maraschino doesn't "doctor" the sound like slower amps, so what was previously masked may have been revealed.  I've noticed some content with upper register issues that I didn't hear before.  What music were you listening to at the time?  Thanks for your post.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2013, 04:31 pm »
The only way to take advantage of high bandwidth recordings (96k, DSD) is to have a high bandwidth amp!  With other amps, the high frequencies never make it to the speakers!  With the Maraschino, you get to enjoy the extra spacial cues and unstressed upper register sounds.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2013, 05:04 pm »
Does the introdcuctory price include a power supply?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov 2013, 05:15 pm »
Does the introdcuctory price include a power supply?

Yes, a medical grade 48V power supply, universal mains (international), upgradeable.  Thanks.