Full Steam ahead

Woodsea

Full Steam ahead
« on: 4 Nov 2013, 06:43 pm »
A living room gaming PC that has modules the end user can upgrade. 
Being from Bellevue myself, I am rooting for these guys to pervail in the race for the living room.  Gotta love not being locked into $60 games, and 8 yr hardware lockdown.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/valve-steam-machines/all/ 

The below link extrapolates on the philosophy of Steam that you should not lose friends, saved games or any else when changing platforms or generations of consoles.  This will be the next big thing.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/11/05/half-life-3-wont-be-a-steam-exclusive/

« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2013, 04:35 pm by Woodsea »

Rclark

Re: Full Steam ahead
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2013, 07:26 am »
Hey for what its worth, the new AMD R290 (not even the 290x, just the plain 290) is reportedly outperforming Nvidia Titan and at only $400.

Think that's what I'm going to do this cycle. Ps4 and then a Steam OS machine of my own buildout with the Steam Controller.

I had envisioned having the x1 and ps4 side by side but that faded when x1specs became clear 6 months ago. Very underwhelming,  as we are seeing already with a slew of 720P games.

Dead Rising 3, an exclusive mind you, is 720P 30fps. That performance in a $500 console in 2013 is laughable. Pass. Ps4 and Steam box for me. Their Steam controller looks really innovative too.

Oh, and Oculus Rift for the Steam box.

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2013, 06:17 pm »
Yep that video card is stomping everything, makes me even happier that I am not buying into this generation of consoles at the beginning.  But, I would love to have the kinect 2 on the Steam box. Did you see read the write up about that?  Awesome.  http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/hands-on-with-the-xbox-one-kinect-interface-and-os-impressions/

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:49 pm »
Yeah no, lol  :D, still creeps me out, and I prefer to push a button than talk. Too much effort.

Woodsea

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:14 am »
You did not play Mass Effect 3 with the kinect.  It was awesome, and it just shows what may come later.  By using your voice and the controller, you can respond and do so many other things.  Just like a mouse and keyboard is better for certain games than a controller by itself could ever do.
Just my 2 cents.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:42 am »
I'm going to pull up a John Carmack clip later on where he explains why kinect is a terrible "gaming" input. It's there for marketing spyware,  and that's about it.

Woodsea

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:46 am »
John is becoming an old fuddy duddy except for his Oculus that he jumped on fairly early on.  If he had thought of kinect he would be praising it.  He has the biggest ego in any room.  Except of Lord British.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:49 am »
No, he gives very logical reasons, I'll post it up. And Imo Oculus Rift or VR is the next big leap.

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:59 am »
id Software co-founder John Carmack has addressed the "fundamentally poor" interactions offered by Kinect, and casting doubt over its relevance for game development.In the opening keynote of Quakecon 2013, Carmack acknowledged that Kinect was targeted at a "broad consumer base" with different demands and expectations to his own. However, he argued that even the new iteration of the hardware - on paper, a big improvement over the launch version - has obvious flaws."I think Kinect still has some fundamental limitations with the latency and frame rate on it," he said, as reported by Polygon. "Interacting with it is still ... when you interact with Kinect, some of the standard interactions - position and hold, waiting for different things - it's fundamentally a poor interaction."One way that I look at it is - I used to give Apple a lot of grief about the one button mouse. Anybody working with a mouse really wants more buttons - [they're] helpful there. Kinect is sort of like a zero button mouse with a lot of latency on it."

Basically unless you're playing a dancing game or flailing your arms around, it's useless for REAL gaming.

He actually went on to say PlayStation Move with handheld controllers is much better for gaming purposes

Woodsea

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:00 am »
No, he dissed on the latency, but I gave a link where a reviewer stated that the latency was almost nil, in a previous thread.  John has not played with the kinect 2.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:01 am »
Yes he has, he has the dev kits, obviously.

Kinect is nothing but spyware and glorfied channel changer,

Woodsea

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:11 am »
That is your opinion and I accept that.  Just as I accept that Mr. Carmack also feels that the xbox one is his preference for this next generation of consoles.
Thanks for the lively conversation

Woodsea

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2013, 07:04 am »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-carmack-sweeney-andersson-interview?page=3
A little more info from three big hitters in the gaming world on Steam.