New Hoyt-Bedford 8" Driver

ZLS

New Hoyt-Bedford 8" Driver
« on: 7 Nov 2012, 05:28 pm »
    Due to a mishap moving some furniture around, I knocked off the whizzer come of one of my Hoyt-Bedford Type I Speakers.  After several minutes of blaspheming several entities (and myself), I called Louis to obtain a new driver. 
    It is at this point that Louis told me that he had revised the H-B Driver, and I should really order two new drivers.  He said the new driver was better, and I would really enjoy it. 
    He was right!  The new Driver has a smaller whizzer cone (that I can observe), but most importantly has to my ears, a more open extended sound.  It sounds for the lack of a better term less congested.  I also feel that it has an extended bass response, but this may be a reaction to the extended top end. 
    The new drivers were easy to install, and if I say they are easy to install please believe me.  I am that wonderful combination of being both dyslexic and clumsy. 
    Break in was quick, and the most important fact is that the new drivers have made my listening experience more enjoyable. 
    The cost of the new Hoyt-Bedford Drivers was $160, and to my mind, well worth it.   

Louis O

Re: New Hoyt-Bedford 8" Driver
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm »
Hi ZLS,

Many thanks for your post and impressions of the updated Type 1 driver.

Really happy that the install was very easy and that you like the sound better than the old version. I went with the smaller whizzer and got the balance I was looking for in the treble. It also gave the speaker a much faster presentation. The addition of a little neodymium to the motor adds focus. The combo is a great upgrade path to the type 1 driver.

As I write this the website is getting updated and will look like the Omega site. Lots of great stuff is happening with both lines right now.

Thanks again,
Louis

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2012, 04:39 am »
Louis, a question if you don't mind answering:

I have read the new product page describing the current HB driver and am curious your opinion of this driver's sound compared to the 8" alnico Omega driver.  Not necessarily asking which is "better", but rather what are the differences in sound between the two?

I have thought on and off about trying out a single driver speaker, and in considering your current offerings, I'm wondering if I would  be better served with a current model HB or waiting to find an alnico-based 8" model on the used market, as it looks to be that the 8" alnico models are no longer available new.

Thank you for your time!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2012, 07:09 pm »
A few days ago, a pair of Bubinga Type 1.5's came.

The sound: I have had the Type 1 with the old driver and now have these Type 1.5's with the new driver, and the new driver has better tonal balance, with seemingly no peeks.  The transition between bass, mids, and highs is seamless to my ears, and 2w/ch drives them like a much bigger amp.  One would think such big boxes would sound boomy and boxy, no, opposite; they are airy, etherial, and detached with a huge deep soundstage.  Vocals are spooky, and right in the listener's presence with no stereo in between.  If I could describe the sound (if they really have a "sound") summed up in one word, it would be effortless. 

The look: I have to say I have never seen a more beautifully finished audio product, not that they are any better than Louis' other offerings, but it is the Bubinga veneer.  The pictures do not do this finish justice - not even close.  The patina of the wood has a deep holographic look to it, sort of like the image on some credit cards.  A level 3 finish worth every penny.  Also, the tilted back look is so cool.  Their looks match their sound.

radarnyc

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2012, 02:41 pm »
Louis, a question if you don't mind answering:

I have read the new product page describing the current HB driver and am curious your opinion of this driver's sound compared to the 8" alnico Omega driver.  Not necessarily asking which is "better", but rather what are the differences in sound between the two?

I have thought on and off about trying out a single driver speaker, and in considering your current offerings, I'm wondering if I would  be better served with a current model HB or waiting to find an alnico-based 8" model on the used market, as it looks to be that the 8" alnico models are no longer available new.

Thank you for your time!

I'm also interested in the comparisons, in general, between the new drivers and alnicos. by the way, Alnicos are still available new on the Omega line (Super 6) both as a floorstander and a monitor.