Modwright Transporter vs Analog Vinyl

cfchew

Modwright Transporter vs Analog Vinyl
« on: 28 Jul 2009, 04:36 am »
I've been using a maxed out Modwright Transporter w/Platinum Mods/Bybees, EML 5U4G rectifier, 6SN7 octal adaptors with either TS Roundplates or Sylvania 6SN7Ws to great effect for about the past 6 months or so.  I didn't think I could do better for a source.

I never tried a vinyl/analog rig before but decided to give it a go.  Am currently trying a Nottingham spacedeck with Lyra Argo-i cartridge, and a built in tubed phonostage in my VAC Renaissance preamp.

I thought the vinyl might bring something extra and in fact after purchasing some new reissues, many titles do sound quite nice.  Vinyl does have a "continuity" to the sound.  However, I can't quite get over the surface noises and background noise over a dead silent Transporter source.  Also the soundstaging, presence and clarity of the MW transporter holds its own or better on titles that I do have duplicated analog/digital and I've compared back to back with.

Am I missing something or maybe my analog is not optimized like my digital setup?  In any case, it leads me to think a fully modded MW TP almost cannot be beaten?

SCompRacer

Re: Modwright Transporter vs Analog Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2009, 05:36 am »
I have no experience with the ModWright Transporter.  Currently I have a ModWright Platinum Signature Truth Sony 9100ES with the most recent tube rectified power supply upgrades.  My pre is a ModWright SWLP with the most recent tube rectified power supply upgrade.  I am older and have way more vinyl than CD's, so going with a transporter is not in the cards.

I have owned Spacedecks with Space and Ace Space arms, and currently have a Nottingham Space 294 that came with the Ace Space arm.  To me, the Nottingham tables sound much more dynamic and open with a different arm compared to the OEM mechanically damped unipivot.  Currently I have a Moerch DP6 on the 294 with a Dynavector 17D3.  I had a Micro Seiki and rewired Rega RB300 on the early and late model Spacedecks.  With top notch recordings in either digital or vinyl, vinyl gets the nod at my place.  IIRC, Dan had a show a couple of years ago with a Spacedeck/Lyra cartridge and he told me it was a great sounding combination.  You have a highly regarded phono stage.  In reagrds to setup, what type of protractor did you use to align the cartridge?

My experience with surface noise is if the noise is not in the recording, then it depends on the condition of the LP.  I have tried all sorts of cleaning methods, including steam, and have never completely fixed a noisy LP. Newer LP's or ones in outstanding condition are quiet.  Slight pops/ticks on older LP's don't bother me.  The point being, if the noise bothers you, perhaps vinyl is not for you. 

EDIT:  Nottinghams to Nottingham tables
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2009, 08:30 am by SCompRacer »

cfchew

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2009, 01:40 pm »
I am a novice at analog, and had my cartridge set up by a local dealer.  Actually, the Spacedeck I'm using right now is a dealer loaner until I get the same Space 294 that you have, what a coincidence.  The Argo-i is mine and will be transferred to the new tabke.  I have read on another thread that a different tonearm will make the Not table more neutral/open, but a high end 12" tonearm would probably be much $$$.

I don't mind a bit of surface noise, but I was commenting as first impressions after trying vinyl for a week, that the MW TP sounds fantastic as a source and I think it would take quite a bit to beat it.  I think vinyl sounds very nice for the classic jazz albums before the 1970-1980's that I've purchased reissues of so far.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2009, 01:58 pm »
I think good vinyl beats any 16/44 even on maxed Modwright Transporter.  I like the sound I get from 24/96 music and would be curious how the Modwright Transporter 24/96 (or higher) would compare to same recording on vinyl. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2009, 02:54 pm »
Woodsyi, you don't have a maxed Modwright TP do you?  What did you use to compare?

BTW, 24/96 is the highest resolution from a TP, modded or not.

It's all about tradeoffs and costs, but in my system the max'd out MW TP beats but the much more costly analog rigs I've had in here, and I would venture to say that 24/96 and 24/88.2 stuff equals some of those rigs.  Surely one can outdo both with bigger investments, but you need to get a wad of cash ready.  I like the MW TP cuz it's at that "knuckle" in the diminishing returns graph.   :thumb:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2009, 03:13 pm »
No, I don't have a maxed out Modwright unit.  I have had stock unit before.

I do have a different way of playing 24/96 though.  I didn't want to bring it up on Dan's circle.  Here is a post I made regarding the sound. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70066.msg651880#msg651880

Ted,  I got a proposal for you.  How about you and me swap digital ends for a couple of weeks.  I get to check out your Transporter and compare it to my analog sources.  You get to try a different hirez player that I think you are interested in from a few posts I have seen.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2009, 03:26 pm »
Woodsyi,
You can borrow my MW TP anytime, with adapters, tubes, etc  shipping is a pain but oh well.  I have an incredible hirez system too; Gordon's max'd out Macbook ( 4gb and ssd internal drive with external music HD) firewire'd to a Weiss DAC2/Minerva DAC.  24/192 is quite astonishing (but a subject for another thread...in my Hirez Circle   :D).

Back on topic, cfchew i would say that your MW TP should be close to a well setup Spacedeck if not darn near equal.  I would not say it "blows away" analog or anything like that...but to have digital and convenience be this analog sounding and musical is quite a treat.  Good vinyl may always reign (until 32/352.8 that is..check our Digital Audio Denmark DSD  :D ) but the MW TP is wayyy more friendly, less costly, and black background quiet, especially if pops and clicks bother you at all.... IMO.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2009, 03:38 pm »
Ted,

I will take you up on that.  I will send you my address.  Is Gordon giving up on USB and moving to firewire?  What sofware does 24/192?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2009, 03:43 pm »
Ted,

I will take you up on that.  I will send you my address.  Is Gordon giving up on USB and moving to firewire?  What sofware does 24/192?

Gordon is NOT giving up on USB.  the MAcbook does USB just fine.

iTunes does 24/192, so does Amarra.  Most players will do 24/192.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2009, 05:42 pm »
Yes,

Back to the main topic,  I will give my analog front end a shot at MW Transporter.
Ted will lend me his unit for me to compare it to my analog sources.  We will see...

cfchew

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2009, 08:03 pm »
Thanks for your replies all.  I too am interested to get another opinion where someone directly compares their analog rig to the MWTP, someone with more experience with vinyl.

In the meantime, I'm going to swap my loaner Spacedeck for the Space 294 this week and spin some more records to compare.

I have the following on both new vinyl and FLAC 16/44 to compare:

Coltrane - Blue Train
Davis - Kind of Blue
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks, Moondance, Band/Street Choir
Brubeck - Time Out
Buena Vista Social Club
Pink Martini - Sympathique
Holly Cole - Don't Smoke in Bed
Who's Next
Steely Dan - Aja, Can't Buy a Thrill
Allison Krauss - So Long So Wrong
Stan Getz - Jazz Samba

and other titles which I haven't prev. purchased CD's before, mostly jazz.  A lot of the titles are audiophile cliche but they sound nice.

MWTP with full mods and NOS 6SN7 around $4500
Space 294/Ace space 12" arm, Argo-i cartridge around $5500
 new vinyl costs around 2-3x that of CD's

although the cost isn't everything

-Cliff

JerryH

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2009, 10:42 pm »
I have the fully tricked out MWTP with the newer PS and EML/ Tungsol combo that many of us have. My preamp is the SWLP also upgraded to the new PS and using the EML there too. My table is a poor man's VPI SuperScout with a Teres rim drive.
Up until the latest updates to both MW's, I leaned towards vinyl preferences and probably chose vinyl 80% of my listening time, even inspite of surface noise. But now I'm pretty much split on preferences. Many recordings are just better sounding on vinyl, and I'll choose them. But the MWTP has narrowed the gap even on recordings where the digital version lacks. The TP has it's strengths over vinyl that I sometimes prefer also.. bass definition, clarity and the obvious ease of use. Vinyl seems more natural, relaxed yet dynamic, and having that presence.  But on many recordings, there simply isn't enough of a difference.  I love the vinyl experience. But my habits have changed. I won't search for used records anymore because i refuse to put up with excessive surface noise. But I'll still buy new vinyl because I love records and art work, etc. Thanks to the wonderful world of torrents, my musical landscape has widened immensely. And for the curious, the differences between analog and digital sources of music is available to compare. I usually prefer analog over the digital versions even though analog is converted to digital.
Bottom line for me is I love them both, but it's all about the music. If I had to choose one (remember Sophie's Choice?) it would be the MWTP because without it I'm limiting my musical horizon.   

ricmon

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2009, 05:29 pm »
Cliff after thinking about the comparisons you planned to do I wanted to chime in with this.  It may be beneficial to sort of compare apples to apples and ..............you know.  Here's what I mean.  Most analog to digital comparisons are done with vinyl mastered from analog tapes and their digital reissues converted to digital and re-mastered in the digital domain.  Thus the final products will not be the same as it relates to there original source.  Why not compare digital issues to their vinyl reissues and compare new digital releases to there digital vinyl release.  Here are a few titles you can use.  Audio Quest released Rob Mullins Band - One Night in Houston on CD originally and then reissued on vinyl.  So both where created from the analog masters.  Now Ben Haper has just released Ben Haper and the Magnificent Seven, White Lies For Dark Times on CD and vinyl, both from a digital master.  This should allow you to truly compare digital to digital and analog to analog on both devices.  You can also get Kei Akagi Trio - Mirror Puzzle on Audio Quest in cd and vinyl as well.

I hope that all made sense.
Ric

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2009, 05:33 pm »
Yes,

Back to the main topic,  I will give my analog front end a shot at MW Transporter.
Ted will lend me his unit for me to compare it to my analog sources.  We will see...

Brilliant, gents :thumb:

Apologies to Dan for carrying this topic slightly askew :oops:

John

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2009, 04:38 pm »
Curious, did you guys ever swap units?