CDP laser on or off ???

andycsb

CDP laser on or off ???
« on: 24 Oct 2016, 08:46 pm »
I have an old top loading cdp. I have discovered that SQ is actually better when the unit is powered on all the time. I am seeking some feedback on whether the laser could be actually "on"...ie... ACTIVE... even though there is no CD in the drive. There isn't a standby power option. It's either powered on or off.  What I actually do is...after the last CD is played...I remove the CD. The display will then read "no disc" which is "_ _ _ _" in my case.  I then return a CD back to the drive as it keeps dust from settling on the lens. The display will still read "_ _ _ _". Should I just omit leaving a CD in the drive altogether, just in case there is a sensor of some kind that will activate the laser when there is a CD in the drive?. As far as I can tell...all circuitry is ON when the unit is powered up... even when the display reads "_ _ _ _" ie...no disc.

Is the laser still active...ie...on?

Beside a waste of electricity...any negative in having unit powered on all the time...especially when there isn't a standby power option?

What do you guys do...leave your cdp on or off?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2016, 06:44 pm by andycsb »

decal

Re: CDP laser on or off ???
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2016, 09:37 pm »
My Marantz SA8001 has been on 24/7 for about 3 years with no ill effects. I think that once the laser scans and detects no disc, it disengages. I could be wrong, have been before!!

andycsb

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2016, 06:45 pm »
Thanks Decal. Appreciate you taking the time to feedback.

Anyone else?

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2016, 08:14 pm »
I've always left CDs in my trays when on. Not for sound, but just habit. Rather have something in there so I can press play and get something going. I will agree that components sound better when left on for extended periods of time.