Fiber isolation

jpm

Fiber isolation
« on: 3 Aug 2016, 03:27 am »
Michael Lavorgna's recent article on fiber isolating ethernet signals got me off my butt to try something I've been intending to for years.   http://www.audiostream.com/content/electrically-isolate-your-networked-audio

Simply put, for the pennies it costs, especially compared to very many dedicated HiFi tweaks, it's an absolute no brainer. All told, I'm in for well under $100* and already considering upgrading my switch to one with dedicated fiber ports.

My biggest concern is that the fiber cable itself is of the same small gauge that "Jaws" the cat enjoys chewing on. For $15 I may just keep a spare in my drawer!

* Amazon's "used like new" can help shave the already low cost

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Fiber isolation
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2016, 10:30 am »
I have been using fibre optic cable from pc to dac for years. Works great! Stick with actual glass fibre though..

ACHiPo

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2016, 03:18 pm »
While I understand that optical fibers don't pick up EMI like a metallic wire, it seems that if's there's noise on the electronic side it will still get converted and passed down the fiber.  What am I missing?

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2016, 04:36 pm »
While I understand that optical fibers don't pick up EMI like a metallic wire, it seems that if's there's noise on the electronic side it will still get converted and passed down the fiber.  What am I missing?

While I'm uncertain of the nature of what is converted how, depending on how you run the connection you're at least eliminating all of the electrical cabling and equipment you bypass by using the fiber. In my case, I can take the connection direct from my NAS to the device, bypassing a direct pass through the router and switch.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2016, 02:20 pm »
With fiber there is no conductive path from unit 'A' to unit 'B' so the fiber blocks leakage currents.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2016, 04:31 pm »
I think the only down side to fibre optic may be a bandwidth issue for hi-rez. I'm not sure of this but plenty of folks here that could speak to that.

ACHiPo

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2016, 12:20 am »
With fiber there is no conductive path from unit 'A' to unit 'B' so the fiber blocks leakage currents.
That makes sense, although it seems the leakage current (at least the AC portion) would get converted to optical signal then reintroduced at the other end of the fiber?

JDUBS

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2016, 07:15 pm »
I think the only down side to fibre optic may be a bandwidth issue for hi-rez. I'm not sure of this but plenty of folks here that could speak to that.

Are you referring to toslink?  If so, that's totally different.

-Jim

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2016, 07:03 pm »
Just want to clarify that the OP is referring to 'Fiber Media Converters'. Easily available on Amazon (TP-Link MC200CM is one version), and for ~$80 (US) plus linear power supply is well worth trying. In my case it's direct from PC to Oppo via ethernet and it is an *excellent* upgrade and easy to set up. Definite keeper.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2016, 01:50 pm »
That makes sense, although it seems the leakage current (at least the AC portion) would get converted to optical signal then reintroduced at the other end of the fiber?
Not the AC power leakage. The converter only converts the audio signal. The leakage currents are trying to get back to their voltage source which is that big power company transformer down the street. So they often use metallic signal cables as an alternate path. In this regard, the optical converter works like an audio transformer.

ACHiPo

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2016, 03:18 am »
Not the AC power leakage. The converter only converts the audio signal. The leakage currents are trying to get back to their voltage source which is that big power company transformer down the street. So they often use metallic signal cables as an alternate path. In this regard, the optical converter works like an audio transformer.
Got it.  Thanks.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:27 pm »
I have a stupid question. I don't understand. How is Toslink different from this media converter?  Not challenging the idea.  Just don't come from a technical background.  Just know enough to lick my fingers before touching a live electrical wire...  These both don't carry electrical energy.  Just an audio signal? 

Best,

Blu99Zoomer

genjamon

« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2016, 10:48 pm »
I have a stupid question. I don't understand. How is Toslink different from this media converter?  Not challenging the idea.  Just don't come from a technical background.  Just know enough to lick my fingers before touching a live electrical wire...  These both don't carry electrical energy.  Just an audio signal? 

Best,

Blu99Zoomer

Toslink is carrying a PCM audio stream.  A fiber system is just an alternative to a copper ethernet cable.  Unless you plug your ethernet cable directly into your DAC, fiber is just a way of transfering the music files between your network storage device and whatever device is taking that file and making it into an audio stream for your DAC to work with. 

Example: I use a Mac Mini to store all my music in another room.  I use a Sonore microRendu to play music into my DAC via USB.  The microRendu connects to my home network with an ethernet cable, so as to be able to grab the files from my Mac Mini when I instruct it to play them.  I use some fiber converters between my router and the microRendu in order to prevent any electrical noise from riding the copper ethernet cable into my microRendu mucking up the quality of the USB audio stream it creates, and also any potential contribution of electrical noise passing through the microRendu into my DAC and audio rig via the USB connection.  This has an easily audible effect of reducing distortions in the sound quality of my system, increasing resolution, and also increasing the natural tone and realism of the instruments and performers.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2016, 01:13 pm »
Thanks Genjamon.  After reading the articles on Audiostream, I get that the lack of copper blocks the electrical noise enough to be noticeable when listening.  It is nice to think that there is an inexpensive tweak for digital music that works.  Along with the Microrendu, are we getting closer to analogue sound using digital?  Are you using linear power supplies to power the converters?

Best,

Blu

genjamon

« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2016, 07:02 pm »
  Along with the Microrendu, are we getting closer to analogue sound using digital?  Are you using linear power supplies to power the converters?

Best,

Blu

I can't really comment on getting close to analog or not.  I'm on the somewhat younger end of the audiophile spectrum and am a digital native.  I don't really have an analog rig to speak of, just an old Luxman direct drive that doesn't keep speed anymore and needs an overhaul - packed up in the basement.  But some of my local buddies who have pretty nice analog rigs were pretty impressed with the Lampizator Big7 when it arrived.  And that was before microRendu.

Yes, I have these FMC's running on linear power supplies.  And I've played with each stage of it enough to find that the quality of the power supply definitely matters in these units, even the one on the other end of the fiber from the DAC.  It's not necessarily a huge difference, but at the level I'm playing at, it's definitely significant and worth some expenditure.  If I could afford Uptone LPS-1 units for all three (microRendu, and both FMC units), I would.  But I'm just gonna start with one on the microRendu, and power the two FMC's with my HDPlex linear power supply.

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2016, 09:21 pm »
a linear ps is critical for the fmc. whether or not it Sounds analog depends on what analog. but for sure Ethernet connection to my ears eliminates the digital hash typical of usb regardless of the spdif converter or usb noise reduction methods I used.

I am using cheap velleman 1823 lm317 power supply kits and they are away better than the stock supply.

I also have the new ifi spdif purifier which also helps but not compared to the fmcs in terms of price performance. if you can do both though it's probably worth it.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2016, 11:50 am »
Opinions on how far from the output end the fiber optic device would be effective? I am thinking of trying it right at the output of the modem and then attach the Ethernet cable that runs 40 feet to my rig. Anyone see an issue with this?

(keeps one more set of plugs and devices from cluttering up the rack)

jpm

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2016, 09:07 pm »
Opinions on how far from the output end the fiber optic device would be effective? I am thinking of trying it right at the output of the modem and then attach the Ethernet cable that runs 40 feet to my rig. Anyone see an issue with this?

(keeps one more set of plugs and devices from cluttering up the rack)

40' is well within spec for Ethernet segment length. As for sound quality why not try it on either end of the 40' run and report back with what you find!

drmike

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:54 pm »
need help with setup. can i go right out of my modem to fmc or do i need o router before going to fmc? i can't access the internet when going from the modem to the fmc(tp link mc200cm).
thanks, drmike

jpm

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2016, 07:07 pm »
need help with setup. can i go right out of my modem to fmc or do i need o router before going to fmc? i can't access the internet when going from the modem to the fmc(tp link mc200cm).
thanks, drmike

Get everything set up without fiber converters first. Then you just want to add the fiber converters in between the the wired Ethernet connection and equipment. Conceptually, think of it as if you were cutting the Ethernet connection to your equipment in half and adding the fiber converters there. Of course, you wouldn't actually cut the Ethernet cable, you'd just add a second one from the fiber converter at the end of the link where your equipment is.