HD-AVP, Dolby Atmos/DTS-X

Tubegem

HD-AVP, Dolby Atmos/DTS-X
« on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:58 am »
I realize the HD-AVP was only recently introduced. Is there a plan to include support for Dolby Atmos/DTS-X in the future. It will probably involve adding a few more channel outputs.

I gave up on 7.1 quite a few years ago and have stayed with 5.1, until I was given a demonstration of Atmos prior to it's release.  Even with the limited number of releases, the ability to 'Upmix' 5.1 and 7.1 makes every movie/concert a most enjoyable journey.  Much more enveloped sound vs the ping/pong affects of regular surround.

I have purchased a pre-pro (just recently became aware of NuPrime), but I like what I read about the HD-AVP. A simple to use, no useless 100's of cathedrals and other gimmicks, high quality DAC and a nice size.  Personally, I would rather have a top notch 5.4.1 than a 7.1 or additional zones.

It looks like of few people have purchased the HD-AVP, but I don't see any reviews.  Please, please take the time to share.
Thanks. Ed

rustydoglim

Re: HD-AVP, Dolby Atmos/DTS-X
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2016, 07:04 am »
AVP* is a very difficult to develop product for small firm like NuPrime due to the licensing of various technology.
So to be brutally honest, there is no way to upgrade to Atmos. 
So far we have been selling AVP* at quiet discount due to the lack of Atmos. The bottomline is that we plan to officially discount the price such that you are practically getting the processor features for free. If you want an all-in-one box with very good USB DAC, preamp and media server, then go with HD-AVP.

chrisc

• Listen to the great composers
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2016, 04:05 pm »
Had an HD-AVP for 3 weeks now

Plusses - Superb sound, especially on USB, variable gain inputs, variable gain all speakers individually, crossover for sub, multiple HDMI, digital and analogue inputs, video performance excellent, assignable inputs, good FM tuner - overall very pleased with sound and good value for money

Cons - Confusing remote, many functions do not work, a GUI that does nothing (it is supposed to be configurable via remote), outputs sound on rear channels even in stereo, display goes off when it should stay on, audio input level changed by itself on HDMI after a few days, you can enable or disable inputs, but if you disable 3, then some others disappear without being asked, GUI appears at random if you switch on TV when listening via USB

I suggested to the agent that the firmware and control circuit needed a bit of revision to overcome these deficiencies, but have not had a reply (it is always possible that the factory are busy)

Tubegem

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2016, 11:08 pm »
Had an HD-AVP for 3 weeks now

Plusses - Superb sound, especially on USB, variable gain inputs, variable gain all speakers individually, crossover for sub, multiple HDMI, digital and analogue inputs, video performance excellent, assignable inputs, good FM tuner - overall very pleased with sound and good value for money

Cons - Confusing remote, many functions do not work, a GUI that does nothing (it is supposed to be configurable via remote), outputs sound on rear channels even in stereo, display goes off when it should stay on, audio input level changed by itself on HDMI after a few days, you can enable or disable inputs, but if you disable 3, then some others disappear without being asked, GUI appears at random if you switch on TV when listening via USB

I suggested to the agent that the firmware and control circuit needed a bit of revision to overcome these deficiencies, but have not had a reply (it is always possible that the factory are busy)

Hi chrisc thanks for your response.  I certainly hope that the Cons you identified get resolved quickly.

Looking at the manual, looks like it supports a direct connection from an external disc drive.  My music is on an iMac in a different room, so I cannot use the USB input like you. Is this something you tried out?  Just wondering how one would control the music.

Is the cross over for the sub available through the XLR outputs or just through the 7.1 for HT usage?  I'm trying to determine if this unit could be used in a stereo 2.1 system while also controlling HDMI for video watching.

If you wouldn't mind, what did this replace and overall differences.  I you would rather do that privately, please email me directly or PM me. Thanks for your time and continue to enjoy your HD-AVP.

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2016, 07:38 am »
Chrisc - please check the FAQ on the NuPrime website. And if you still have problem, contact support@nuprimeaudio.com

chrisc

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2016, 02:58 pm »
I use JRiver on a Mac to play music.  The external drive is thus connected to the Mac, not directly to the HD-AVP.  I will copy some music onto a USB drive and try it out and see what happens.  I would have thought that you need some sort of media player to control music directly

The subwoofer output is a single RCA socket and this what is on the sub, so I just used a regular cable

Prior to the HD-AVP I was using a SONY 7200ES which I bought back in 2008.  Quite good but the HD-AVP is undoubtedly much better

Regarding the peculiar operation I have experienced, I did at first have a good look at the FAQ on the NuPrime, but their solutions did not help.  The agent from whom I purchased the unit is apparently in touch with NuPrime and has forwarded to them all the items I have described.  The summary I posted here was just that - a summary.  I gave him much more detail for him to forward.  These are not onerous problems but I think the result of insufficient testing of the final product, or they would have been picked up.  What would be nice is if I could operate the GUI on the screen, but I have not had this working yet.  So I will wait to see what he says before approaching NuPrime Audio, no good duplicating work

In my working life, I was continually solving equipment and computer problems so think I am reasonably au-fait with equipment operation.

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2016, 12:24 am »
I think you need to contact support@nuprimeaudio.com directly, and best to create a Help Desk ticket on mytdss.com. The Help Desk tickets get reviewed regularly and any unresolved issues are escalated.
Sometimes distributor communicates with us through email and then either one got busy and we could eventually lose track of the emails or the issues.
We have told people to follow the process with Help Desk or support email.

chrisc

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2016, 06:24 am »
The site mytdss.com refers to Optima products, not NuPrime at all.    I will wait for the local agent to respond to me, I don't want to go behind his back so to speak.  I have never met him, he lives in a city 1600km away and I do not want to spoil the relationship

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2016, 08:29 pm »
mytdss.com is for NuPrime.  Ignore the description.
If you want to get this resolve you should contact us, according to my instruction. Because I am not aware of any outstanding support issues with your case. You have to get it into our system (either email support@nuprimeaudio.com or mytdss.com).

chrisc

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2016, 03:02 pm »
I submitted a support request on mytdss yesterday.  Thanks for the tip

chrisc

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2016, 07:42 am »
What would be a reasonable time to expect a response from mytdss?  I'd like to know if the problems can be fixed or whether I have a faulty device

chrisc

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2016, 11:50 am »
I went to look at and listen to another HD-AVP this morning and this one works 100% as I envisaged mine should.  The HOME button bring up a GUI which you can manoeuvre around using remote's buttons, the USB button switches the input to USB and you can access music on a USB stick plugged into the front port.  The only thing I could not test was the rear speakers since there were none

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2016, 07:41 pm »
What would be a reasonable time to expect a response from mytdss?  I'd like to know if the problems can be fixed or whether I have a faulty device

They are normally prompt.  However some spam filters filter the e-mails, so check your spam box too.

rustydoglim

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2016, 08:11 pm »
The support staff could be waiting for my instruction but I have been traveling for the past week. Sorry, I will try to push them.
This appears to be the situation where there could be intermittent problem with his HD-AVP (that is probably why there is no "solution" for his problem because support staff can't reproduce it).  We might have to simply replace his unit.

triumph

« Reply #14 on: 7 Sep 2016, 06:53 pm »
Hello Chris,

I was wondering if I could ask a question regarding the HD AVP and Jriver.

Does Jriver see the AVP as a 7.1 sound card and are you able to route crossovers, EQ and sub channels from Jriver to the right channels on the AVP, using it as a multichannel DAC then?

Thanks!

rustydoglim

« Reply #15 on: 9 Sep 2016, 08:12 pm »
I am pretty sure it doesn't. Because JRiver on the PC is connected to the USB audio input on the HD-AVP. So JRiver sees the USB DAC as a stereo DAC.

chrisc

« Reply #16 on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:54 pm »
Sorry, been away and just saw your post

No, JRIver sees the HD-AVP as a DAC so cannot allocate channels, etc.  All you can do is fiddle with the equaliser, which is of course not the same thing

Discovered quite by accident today that I cannot play SACD discs as the SONY BDP7200es player does not see the HD-AVP as a DSD compatible device via the HDMI port which connects the devices.  On the SONY, you can only output SACD music via the HDMI port, not the optical one.  Have submitted a request via MyTdss

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2016, 05:18 pm »
I have confirmed that DSD is not supported through the HDMI input.

chrisc

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2016, 03:09 pm »
Do you have any idea whether this is likely to be added?  I have 650 SACDs and would like to play them.  Pity this was not mentioned prior to purchase.  Must one try and think of every little thing to ask?  Certainly our local NuPrime agent had no idea and was surprised when I mentioned it

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2016, 03:16 pm »
Do you have any idea whether this is likely to be added?  I have 650 SACDs and would like to play them.  Pity this was not mentioned prior to purchase.  Must one try and think of every little thing to ask?  Certainly our local NuPrime agent had no idea and was surprised when I mentioned it

Have you tried going into the DSP/Output mode on JRiver and telling it everything beyond 192Khz should be played back as 176.4Khz?