Which Carver Amazing to hunt for?

PMAT

Re: Which Carver Amazing to hunt for?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2014, 09:34 pm »
Hi Satie,
On these particular speakers the 48 inch ribbon is working all the way down to 150hz and in fact requires more power than the woofer, a lot more. Hence my question. I remember reading somewhere that you can't just bi-amp these without mods, but my memory is hazy and perhaps not correct.
Thanks anyway,

PMAT

satie

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2014, 04:55 am »
Hi Satie,
On these particular speakers the 48 inch ribbon is working all the way down to 150hz and in fact requires more power than the woofer, a lot more. Hence my question. I remember reading somewhere that you can't just bi-amp these without mods, but my memory is hazy and perhaps not correct.
Thanks anyway,

PMAT

Didn't know they took it that far down. There are two pairs of input terminals with a shorting strip right? If so, they are designed for biamping or biwiring - the XO is parallel and the top portion "doesn't know" what the bottom is doing when they are fed separately.
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2014, 04:13 pm by satie »

TNRabbit

• TN native languishing in MD
« Reply #22 on: 26 Apr 2014, 10:37 pm »
You can passively bi-amp the AL-IIIs.  It won't net you the gains that active biamping will, but if you're hurting for amplifier power, it will give you some headroom.

The ribbon is actually quite efficient, but the crossover has huge resistors to match it with the woofer.

TNRabbit

• TN native languishing in MD
« Reply #23 on: 26 Apr 2014, 10:38 pm »
I've been reading up on the Parasound amps. With the A51 at 250 wpc and 5 channels available, can you just remover the jumpers on the AL III's and run 2 channels into each speaker with no mods? Would that be better than the A21 (250 wpc) 2 channel amp using the jumpers?

That would take some strain off your amp & give you a little more headroom, yes.  I'm using 4 channels of a Sunfire 400x7 to biamp mine.