13 (8.4%)
I would like the class to have a kit to buy and build
26 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Amplifier Design Classes

Roger A. Modjeski

Amplifier Design Classes
« on: 1 Feb 2014, 01:47 am »
I have received several requests for a class in Amplifier Design. The course will cover basics circuit topologies and introduce how component values are determined. For those interested in doing complete designs a second level course will get into the rather simple mathematics of fine tuning circuit values, choosing voltage and current levels and specifying transformers and other components.

I am looking to enroll 12 students at $90 each for 10 lessons listed below. Hoping to start in late February. Test equipment is suggested for those who want to measure things but not at all necessary for the student who just wants to learn how these things work. If you do plan to build something a voltmeter will suffice and you can judge your results with your ears.

Enroll by sending me a personal message here and I will send payment instructions by Paypal, credit card or check. When I get 12 students we will start. Class will be held on Google Hangouts. You will view and hear me and there will be opportunities to ask questions during the lecture by typing them into the chat.

After the lecture I would like to try a discussion period among the participants which I will monitor and attempt to keep on track. The discussion will be about circuits and not about this or that brand of capacitor or wire or resistor.

If you have questions or suggestions about the course outline please ask them on this post. Be sure to vote on what you want.

Lectures and equipment suggestions

10 Lectures on tube amp design

1. Review ohms law, Thevenin’s theorem, volts, amps, watts, impedance, AC peak and RMS relationship to DC values
2. How to set up and bias a basic gain stage. Multi stage amplifiers.
3. Stage gain, input and output impedance, output voltage and current
4. Typical gain stage applications : common cathode, cathode follower,       balanced,White follower
5. Line amps, phono RIAA EQ, MC/MM preamps
6. Power supplies: Choke input, capacitor input, hum reduction techniques
7. Intro to power amps: Push pull, single ended, OTL, SEPP, Ultralinear, Triode, Class A, Class AB1 and AB2
8. Power tube characteristics: Pentodes, tetrodes, triodes
9. Feedback: Effects on distortion, Frequency response, Damping Factor, Noise
10. Construction tips, Parts selection, transformer selection and ratings

1 hour to 1:15
10 Saturdays, 11 AM Pacific Time, so that you can try things out that same afternoon.

Suggested Test Equipment for the Experimenter, available on Ebay at low cost. HP is a bargain these days. Heathkit or Eico is less expensive but not as good or as stable.

Digital Voltmeter Fluke 70 series are very nice. Typical $35-50 used
Signal Generator HP 200 tube (Be careful of stiff turning dial, will need skillful lubrication) or later 204 solid state with large frequency dial are very accurate. $35-70
Oscilloscope dual trace, triggered sweep prefered, single trace ok. $50-$200. Hitachi V-152 or V-203 are great scopes, simple layout. Tektronix 422 (under $100) or 453 (under $200) great scopes though harder to fix if there is a problem. Get one that is guaranteed to work.
This is a great scope, looks like it was made by Hitachi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Precision-10-MHZ-Oscilloscope-1476A-/290839139744?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item43b75d15a0

Stay away from the older black BK scopes, they are horrible.

« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2014, 04:15 am by Roger A. Modjeski »

roscoeiii

Re: Amplifier Design Classes
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2014, 02:44 am »
I am not seeing the 10 classes listed below. Are they still to come?

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2014, 04:16 am »
I am not seeing the 10 classes listed below. Are they still to come?

Thanks, added to the original post now.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:54 pm »
SIGN  ME UP!!!!!!!  I've been waiting for this for years!

Will the classes be available for later viewing/reviewing?  I would not be available at those days/times every other week as I watch my two sons while my wife works.  I could view the class later that night after the kids are asleep.  Any provision for recording the class at Google Hangouts?

This is really great of you Roger.  I really appreciate that someone with your level of expertise is willing to share his knowledge with noobs.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2014, 02:16 pm »

Will the classes be available for later viewing/reviewing?  I would not be available at those days/times every other week as I watch my two sons while my wife works.  I could view the class later that night after the kids are asleep.  Any provision for recording the class at Google Hangouts?

This is really great of you Roger.  I really appreciate that someone with your level of expertise is willing to share his knowledge with noobs.

+1.

Best,
Anand.

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2014, 03:22 pm »
I'm in!

Clio09

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2014, 04:24 pm »
This is a great idea. PM sent. Also, does the Google option offer the capability to record the lesson by either the instructor or student? It would be nice for those of us with limited memory capacity left to have some permanent documentation :)

/mp

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2014, 11:39 pm »
There are many capture screen and convert to video programs. Camtasia is a well regarded old school product. One may also check out open source freeware at sourceforge.net among or elsewhere.
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2014, 01:47 am by /mp »

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2014, 12:09 pm »

Yessir!  I would love to take classes for tube electronics.  I tried and there was a class given years ago in the San Francisco area but it was not an internet course, you had to be in the Bay area to take it.

I have a similar problem as Ericus Rex in that I cannot attend at that time due to work, in my case.  But if it can be recorded then I'm in.  I realize this takes the live chat Q & A out of the equation but maybe email would fill the gap.  Although it would slow things down a bit and may not be feasible for Roger so I'm just thinking out loud.  I also suffer the vagaries of becoming "senior" thus having hard copies of class material would help refresh my feeble memory when needed.

Thanks!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2014, 02:10 pm »
PM sent!

Clio and Jake, I fully appreciate your memory predicament! Some way to record or otherwise have documentation would be a boon.

steve f

« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2014, 03:39 pm »
I wish I could attend. Moving cross country though, and I am amazed how many things can go wrong at the same time. Hopefully, there will be another class.

Steve

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2014, 03:43 pm »
UPDATE: So far we have about 5 people. We need 5 more to get this to happen. Tell your friends.

Carl V

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2014, 04:55 pm »
quite interested but like a few others I will
have time conflicts. I would need to know
if I can listen easily ...time shifted... with out
much difficulty.

sts9fan

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2014, 05:03 pm »
Yes, that time is very difficult for the East Coast.  Smack in the middle of the day. 

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2014, 04:55 pm »
Yes, that time is very difficult for the East Coast.  Smack in the middle of the day.

It is on Saturday, however I could make it later or earlier. Let's  hear from those who need a different time.

Brad

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2014, 05:47 pm »
Must have missed this announcement before.
PM sent - would love to participate.

srclose

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2014, 06:14 pm »
PM sent yesterday.  Early Saturday would not be a problem, I'm in Central time.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2014, 12:31 am »
RE - the possibility of somehow 'capturing' the videos for non-live viewing;  Roger.  Would it be at all possible to film the lesson as well and offer a complete DVD of it to participants?  I know I would be willing to pay you for your time/trouble to do this.  As mentioned above, I'd probably have to miss the live sessions of half of these classes and would love to be able to pick up what I missed at a later time.

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2014, 12:56 am »
I would also be in. But need to confirm that the time works.

EDS_

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2014, 02:44 am »
RE - the possibility of somehow 'capturing' the videos for non-live viewing;  Roger.  Would it be at all possible to film the lesson as well and offer a complete DVD of it to participants?  I know I would be willing to pay you for your time/trouble to do this.  As mentioned above, I'd probably have to miss the live sessions of half of these classes and would love to be able to pick up what I missed at a later time.

Same here.  I'd be willing to pay extra for DVDs or for RM's efforts to post his lectures on youtube or similar.  Hard start times would be very difficult for me, likely unworkable.  I have all the gear save the 'scope but I need to buy one anyway. 

I hope people understand what a highly regarded figure RM is within the audio field and what an unusual opportunity this is-.

If I can make the timing work I'm in with both feet.