NOS 12AX7 tubes; Other than Mullards

steve in jersey

NOS 12AX7 tubes; Other than Mullards
« on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:31 am »
Does anyone have any suggestions for NOS 12AX7 that excel at reproducing  mid & lower frequencies (other than Mullards as  I really
prefer not to spend that much on matched pairs). Any preferences between Brimar & Tungsram for "lush"or "liquid" midrange sound.

I would really like to stay in the $80 to $85 per tube range. My current amp sounds surprisingly respectable using (new production) Sovtek
(about 4yrs old now, but fairly light use). I've used NOS in other amps, I've heard the differences they can make

Thanks

(I'm hoping that a set of NOS "glass" will add that last "iota" of  "humanity" to the brilliance of my HD800's sound character; I'm close but this my do the trick)

ltr317

Re: NOS 12AX7 tubes; Other than Mullards
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2015, 03:23 am »
From my experience and with my system, the Brimars are closer to the mid-range tone of Mullards than the Tungsrams.  They are both very good sounding overall.

Paul 

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2015, 03:53 am »
If you want to keep the cost reasonable, look at Sylvania 12AX7.  Good quality control, and long lasting.  They were OEM on many good vintage stereos.

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:08 am »
The RCA and Raytheon 12AX7s are pretty nice too: warm but balanced. Warmer than the GE long-plates, which are quite good, however in a more neutral style, and probably warmer than the Sylvania also. All reasonably priced still. Found the Tungsram a little thick sounding in my Cronus Magnum. Haven't heard the Brimar.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2015, 04:33 pm by rpf »

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:26 am »
The RCA 12AX7 black or grey plate tubes are in this territory.

Edit: rpf beat me to it :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:58 am »
Just over a year ago I picked up a  couple pairs of  early60's Amperex Holland (Fisher labels) ECC83's tha I've been very happy with.   I also have a pair of  '59 Mullard long plates.   I find quite a difference  in  that the Amperex  have a much cleaner , more detailed  bottome ends and  a more extended  top end but still has a very good midreange.  I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer the Amerex.  More accurate but still  a great  tone  (got them from TC but I think they  may all be gone now although it wouldn't hurt to ask)

Might be a little hard to find, but  for a new  produciton tube ( that is no longer produced   :lol:)  I thought the  EH 5751's  were decent too

Pretty subjective,  I'm sure you'll have a vote for just about  everything soon enough !!
-jay

Wig

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2015, 06:05 am »

I experienced the same thing, love those Amperex...

Just over a year ago I picked up a  couple pairs of  early60's Amperex Holland (Fisher labels) ECC83's tha I've been very happy with.   I also have a pair of  '59 Mullard long plates.   I find quite a difference  in  that the Amperex  have a much cleaner , more detailed  bottome ends and  a more extended  top end but still has a very good midreange.  I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer the Amerex.  More accurate but still  a great  tone  (got them from TC but I think they  may all be gone now although it wouldn't hurt to ask)

Might be a little hard to find, but  for a new  produciton tube ( that is no longer produced   :lol:)  I thought the  EH 5751's  were decent too

Pretty subjective,  I'm sure you'll have a vote for just about  everything soon enough !!
-jay

steve in jersey

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2015, 03:45 pm »

-jay

Funny you should mention the 5751's as I think I decided to go w/ these tubes instead of the 12AX7 as they seem to give me a bit more
"volume wiggle" with their lower gain. It seems that the choices for NOS for this tube is a bit more limited. I'll have to re-read Tyll H's review of my amp to see which NOS 5751's he mentioned (& if I can stay to my budget w/ these). I seem to recall he said they were "Gold Lions" but I'm betting they "are" more then I'd like to spend for a matched pair !

Thanks to everyone else for your suggestions

Steve

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:21 pm »
AFAIK,  Gold Lion didn't make a 5751, only the 12AX7,  but I may be  mistaken  :scratch:

This may be of interest
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1026858887&&&/Comparison-of-5751-Tubes-Raytheon-Sylvan

Sending you a PM as well
-jay

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:20 pm »
Go find some Baldwin Organ pulls.  "Baldwin Organs" in yellow print on glass (maybe red also?).  Black plates.  Made by Raytheon,  I believe.  Most toney, immersive and musical 12ax7 I've ever heard.  Reasonable prices.

RCA '' command series'' 5751 are also very nice.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:22 pm »
Go find some Baldwin Organ pulls.  "Baldwin Organs" in yellow print on glass (maybe red also?).  Black plates.  Made by Raytheon,  I believe.  Most toney, immersive and musical 12ax7 I've ever heard.  Reasonable prices.

RCA '' command series'' 5751 are also very nice.

Good advice.  I've got a few of those myself.  They are a mix of Raytheon and Sylvania.

steve in jersey

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:25 pm »
AFAIK,  Gold Lion didn't make a 5751, only the 12AX7,  but I may be  mistaken  :scratch:

This may be of interest
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1026858887&&&/Comparison-of-5751-Tubes-Raytheon-Sylvan

Sending you a PM as well
-jay

"By Jove... you may be right" ...It was Sylvania "Gold Brand" Black plate (they probably stopped making them because the name was too #$%^^*! long) 5751's that Tyll mentioned (if I add "3 mica" to that I really have a mouthful.)

I'm getting a nice "Education" on these tubes, thanks
-steve

steve in jersey

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2015, 08:58 pm »
Fellas,

I ended up ordering a pair of RCA Black Plate 3mica 5751's from Upscale Audio (I had to force myself to "not" ask for the overnight shipping
delivery option at $68; That would have completely killed my trying to be "frugal" on this order; I went for 2day air instead so I only wounded my attempt. He,he.he)

I'll let everyone know what I think of them in a few weeks

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2015, 09:20 pm »
Not a damn thing wrong with that choice. Great tubes!

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2015, 06:20 am »
Not a damn thing wrong with that choice. Great tubes!

Agreed,  I'd love to try a pair of those myself  one of these days
Enjoy   :thumb:

-jay

steve in jersey

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:03 pm »
You guys are getting me "psyched"  :D (I guess I lead a fairly unexciting life; but I do really enjoy my music system)

If the weather cooperates , UPS says I'll take delivery by the end of day "Tomorrow, tomorrow I love you tomorrow...etc"  :thumb:

-steve