Gone Girl

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Gone Girl
« on: 6 Oct 2014, 07:24 am »
I'm surprised that there's no thread about this film but I will start one.  Just caught it Thursday and I must say I was very impressed. :thumb:  I've never read the novel upon which the movie is based so I can't comment on how faithful it is to the source but the film is outstanding.  It's a murder mystery/thriller with lots of twists and turns.  To me the strength of the movie is the uniformly great cast.  Ben Affleck's inherent oiliness works very well in this case; his character is the protagonist in a movie where the plot is the only hero.  But to me the true star is Rosamund Pike!  I've been a fan of hers for at least ten years.  It seems she has spent her career being the love interest, the lawyer, the sidekick, the long suffering girlfriend, etc.  But her she really gets a chance to explore her range and an opportunity to shine.  Her performance is riveting, a meta performance-within-a-performance that is truly amazing.  She proves she's more than a pretty face and this could be the springboard to becoming a much bigger star.

Highly recommended! :thumb:

wushuliu

Re: Gone Girl
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2014, 04:47 am »
Rosamund has been unforgettable since Die Another Day. Very impressed that she's been able to raise her profile slowly but surely, most of her contemporaries have crash and burned.

Won't be seeing this though cause I think Fincher is overrated and too cerebral for my taste. He tries to shoot like Kubrick but has none of the originality.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2014, 06:51 am »
Her performance is wonderful.  She is always great but it's a nice change to see her in a meatier role than just the Bond Girl or sidekick.

THROWBACK

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2014, 01:36 pm »
Just saw it last night with my guys-only monthly movie group.

I'd say the consensus was we did not like it that much. The performances were excellent--particularly Pike's, the sister's and the female cop's-- but we felt:
a. It was a half hour too long
b. Too many plot holes
c. It had a general air of implausibility

I enjoyed it just because I could not predict where it was going. The plot twists were fun.

IMHO, a better-than-average (but not great) murder mystery.

z28camaro

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2014, 02:42 am »
I agree with the last rec good but not great. Loved sister AndD female cop as well.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2015, 05:41 pm »
My wife watched it 2 weeks ago, and complained about the ending.

I caught it on a flight home last week. 

I enjoyed it, I felt it explored many possible angles well, and was just the right amount of disturbing.

The ending did not bother me any, so I guess that is personal.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2015, 06:05 pm »
My wife watched it 2 weeks ago, and complained about the ending.   .....   The ending did not bother me any, so I guess that is personal.

Some people prefer a happy/resolved/tidy ending to their movies, and I can understand that, but if I had to have a perfectly tied bow at the end, I wouldn't get to enjoy all of those great Coen brothers movies!

Steve

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2015, 10:24 pm »
Some people prefer a happy/resolved/tidy ending to their movies, and I can understand that, but if I had to have a perfectly tied bow at the end, I wouldn't get to enjoy all of those great Coen brothers movies!

Steve

That's exactly how I feel, Steve. Case in point, I know a LOT of people who felt the ending of No Country for Old Men ruined the film for them. I felt exactly the opposite. I'm cool with a blue skies ending from time to time, but if it's forced or used as a cop out, I lose respect for the film. Few things in life have that perfectly tied bow, to borow from your comment, so I don't personally feel my movies need to have that either.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2015, 10:30 pm »

Steve

What?  The wood chipper wasn't a tidy ending??

borism

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:56 pm »
Just saw the movie a few days ago and since I didn't read the book was completely taken by surprise. It was great entertainment, very disturbing, so many plot twists, and I completely lost track of time. For me that's a sign that the movie, i.e. directing, plot, acting, was all very good.
In addition, I found myself still thinking about it the next day, another sign of a thought provoking (though admittedly implausible) movie. Somewhat reminiscent of 'Fatal Attraction' in highlighting a personality disorder. So, I liked it.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:12 am »
Very good movie, but I have to admit, I have a crush on Rosamund Pike :thumb:  Although at 36, I could have had her at 18  :oops:

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:21 am »
Despite implausibility of the plot, the movie definitely kept my attention, as Fincher movies typically do with me. It sends a message about how, as a society, we may be shaping our daughters to uphold perfectionist ideals placed upon them and how that pressure can negatively impact them as they grow to adulthood. Obviously, the calculative murderer part is over-the-top, but the idea that we're messing up their minds with Barbie culture (ie the children's book series within the movie which Pike's character is derived or vice versa) is very plausible.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2015, 03:55 am by RDavidson »

sgr

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:14 am »
Yep. Saw it. I liked the unpredictability. Good performances. I've heard there may be a sequel. Hope it doesn't give any one ideas.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2015, 03:37 am »
Remind me never to have sex without looking under the bed first.

jk@home

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2015, 12:20 pm »
We watched it last night, and enjoyed it. My wife had read the book prior, she felt the movie followed the book to the T, but certain parts of the book were not expanded upon as much as in the book.  Such as her parents needing all of her trust fund.

As far as the ending, loved it, reminds me of Game of Thrones. Screamin at the TV from being left up in the air!  :D