TajMo: The Taj Mahal & Keb' Mo' Band - WOW!!!

Paret

• Keller, TX
Re: TajMo: The Taj Mahal & Keb' Mo' Band - WOW!!!
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2017, 05:08 pm »
Another great album by Keb Mo, the cover of Squeeze Box makes me smile. His new live double album is the best live recording I have. He always has top notch recordings, a couple others I highly suggest are Keep it Simple, Suitcase and Slow Down. They are what I call happy blues.

Just ordered the Pink Live Album on Amazon for $7.57 total shipped and tax included. (I have prime).

Thanks for the info.

Get well soon. I know  allergies are a P I T A.

:thumb:

lcrim

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2017, 10:37 pm »
I saw this thread a few days ago and decided to add this recording to my favorites list on Tidal.  I also checked the member reviews on Amazon, which were also very complimentary and positive,  I was looking forward to listening to this CD.

Perhaps it was a case of overly high expectations but this recording is not what I've come to expect from either of these great artists.  I can't even rightly call this recording blues but rather highly over-compressed pop.  I was very disappointed and as a result I simply cannot recommend it.

Larry

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 16 Jun 2017, 02:24 am »
Having a bad day Larry? Maybe it's Tidal, the CD sounds fine. Dynamic range can always be better, I bet the Bernie Grundman mastered vinyl is lovely.

My latest copy of Stereophile has been sitting unread, this morning I did a quick browse and discovered TajMo is the Recording of the Month.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/recording-july-2017-tajmo

Roberd Baird writing for Stereophile:
Taj Mahal & Keb' Mo': TajMo
Concord CRE00432 (LP). 2017. Taj Mahal, Keb' Mo', prods.; Zach Allen, John Caldwell, Alex Jarvis, Jesse Nichols, Casey Wasner, engs.; Ross Hogarth, mix; Richard Dodd, mastering; Bernie Grundman, vinyl mastering. AAA? TT: 45:20
Performance ****
Sonics ****

"And speaking of sound, TajMo's impending summer tour may be the catalyst for another recording. The quotes in the press kit confirm that the making of TajMo has been a life-changing experience for both men, a fact that happily is also audible on the final product."

santacore

« Reply #23 on: 16 Jun 2017, 04:08 am »
I take back what I said previously about recessed vocals. Listening again tonight at a proper volume, I felt like the mix was solid. Down low, late night listening, had the vocals falling back a bit.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jun 2017, 02:32 am »
I saw this thread a few days ago and decided to add this recording to my favorites list on Tidal.  I also checked the member reviews on Amazon, which were also very complimentary and positive,  I was looking forward to listening to this CD.

Perhaps it was a case of overly high expectations but this recording is not what I've come to expect from either of these great artists.  I can't even rightly call this recording blues but rather highly over-compressed pop.  I was very disappointed and as a result I simply cannot recommend it.

Larry

I guess I am having a bad day as well, but I am listening to the LP now, and side 1 ( tracks 1 through 5) sounds just too compressed.  Bass and drums are as good as through an iPod :cry: 

Acoustic guitars sound ok though, but it is a C+ record, imho.  I have a large number of TAS and Salvatore list LPs, and most of them are outstanding records, but this one is just ok.
Art

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2017, 02:45 am »
Never thought I would read such polarizing opinions about a recording  :scratch:

Especially an "audiophile" one. So who was sick when they heard this? WGH, Robert Baird, Larry or Art?

Guess I'll have to listen myself.

Best,
Anand.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2017, 03:01 am »
Never thought I would read such polarizing opinions about a recording  :scratch:

Especially an "audiophile" one. So who was sick when they heard this? WGH, Robert Baird, Larry or Art?

Guess I'll have to listen myself.

Best,
Anand.

Please do and let us know.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2017, 03:10 am »
Please do and let us know.

I sure will. And frankly I might be sick as well!

Best,
Anand.

Toni Rambold

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jun 2017, 12:05 pm »

180g French MPO pressing released in Europe June 16, 2017.

Digital recording
Soundstage is flat and wide with some nice left to right effects.
Sounds artificially - too much overdubbing ?
Imaging is problematic - never get the feelin' there's a guy in
front of you with a guitar playin' the blues.
Loudness seems uniform - I would say too much compression.

180g Dutch Music on Vinyl pressing.

Digital recording
Sounds far more pleasant and naturally.
Soundstage has width and depth and there's a guy in the center
playin' guitar and singin' the blues.

Regards  Toni

Mudslide

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2017, 01:58 pm »
Hmmm...I'm wondering if I wasted my popcorn money.  A TajMo is on the way.  Hopefully I won't have to bill Wayne for damages.  :lol:

I'll report back, as well.

Paret

• Keller, TX
« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2017, 04:04 pm »
Hmmm...I'm wondering if I wasted my popcorn money.  A TajMo is on the way.  Hopefully I won't have to bill Wayne for damages.  :lol:

I'll report back, as well.

I got mine from HD tracks and sounds great.

Then Followed Hydro's recommendation for the Live Pink Album but still waiting on that one. (Amazon CD)

:D

WGH

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2017, 05:29 pm »
Hopefully I won't have to bill Wayne for damages.  :lol:

Hey guys, don't blame me for deficiencies in your system if you don't like the way TajMo sounds.  :peek:
The way this thread is going I'll have to start a Go Fund Me page to cover rebates.

Interesting comment on problematic imaging, one of the first things I noticed was the solid center image, the left-right effects are nice so at least they got that right on the French LP.
Stereophile thinks the US vinyl could be AAA but with a ? at the end.

Mudslide

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jun 2017, 06:44 pm »
Hey guys, don't blame me for deficiencies in your system if you don't like the way TajMo sounds.  :peek:
The way this thread is going I'll have to start a Go Fund Me page to cover rebates.

Interesting comment on problematic imaging, one of the first things I noticed was the solid center image, the left-right effects are nice so at least they got that right on the French LP.
Stereophile thinks the US vinyl could be AAA but with a ? at the end.

I'll cut you a break, Wayne.  I like the album very much.  Fine music.  Maybe a bit of compression noted.  Stereo separation is sharp, and perhaps that's what lends to the impression of a lack of center imaging.

As for the album making my speakers sound like Salks...well, they already do...Philharmonic 2s.   :D  And the album sounds pretty fine on my Aerial Acoustics, too.

Worth the investment even if it did cost me a week's worth of popcorn.   :|

Art_Chicago

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jun 2017, 08:25 pm »
I'll cut you a break, Wayne.  I like the album very much.  Fine music.  Maybe a bit of compression noted.  Stereo separation is sharp, and perhaps that's what lends to the impression of a lack of center imaging.

As for the album making my speakers sound like Salks...well, they already do...Philharmonic 2s.   :D  And the album sounds pretty fine on my Aerial Acoustics, too.

Worth the investment even if it did cost me a week's worth of popcorn.   :|

BTW, I was listening to the album through Philharmonic 3s, powered by AVA electronics. The ScanSpeak 8" revelator is unlikely to be the source of bass compression  :D

decal

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jun 2017, 01:45 am »
It's been on heavy rotation for about a week here :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:.