« on: 2 Oct 2012, 05:59 pm »
Discussion thread for the new BDP-2 Digital Player

BDP-2 FEATURES:
No moving parts
Six USB 2.0 inputs
Future USB 3.0 upgradable… providing two additional USB 3.0 inputs
One eSATA Drive input
Internal SATA drive (optional)*
2X - Gigabit Ethernet Inputs (for network connectivity)
NAS Connectivity Supported **
UPnP/DNLA Server ***

Improved power supply delivers over 5 amps (10 amps peak)
Custom Intel Atom Powered motherboard
Eight times more system memory (than the BDP-1)
Two RS-232 Serial Ports (device control)
Manages much larger libraries
Improved load times on drives
Improved load times on all wireless interfaces (MAX, MINI, MPOD, MPAD etc.)

*...There is room in the chassis to install an internal 2.5 inch SATA drive but
it must be fitted by authorized personel. The drive must be provided by the
customer and Bryston assumes no liability or support for the drive installed.

**...The NAS units we have used successfully are QNAP, Apple Time Capsule, WD MyBook (NAS), Native Microsoft and shares.

***... UPnP/DNLA Server (Universal Plug and Play) Supported
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2012, 08:26 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:11 pm »
MEMO: To all Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: New BDA-2 DAC and BDP-2 Digital Player

October 2012

It is always difficult when you introduce a new product as someone has just purchased the current version of said product.

The BDP-2 Digital Player was designed for those customers that felt the BDP -1 did not have enough features - more drives , larger library capability, esata internal harddrive capability, increase speed with load times etc,  Lack of these features was what prevented some customers from considering the BDP-1 in their systems.

Remember the BDP-2 is not replacing the BDP-1 it is an additional product choice.

The "purist" can stay with the BDP-1 and those requiring additional features can go to the BDP-2. Also the BDP-2 is 1/3 more money than the BDP-1.

As for the BDA-2 external DAC the main reason for the BDA-2 was to add Asynchronous USB 192/24 capability.  DSD capability is also possible with the AKM chips so we are looking at that going forward (software). 

We will also be offering a USB Interface as well for those folks that currently own a BDA-1 which can be used with the BDA-1 and allow for 192/24 USB capability. 

Hope this helps.

James Tanner
Bryston

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2012, 07:06 pm »
Why is it that every time I buy something, the manufacturer very soon after releases a new version? Ah, this is a little different, but DSD support would be nice. Otherwise, the BDP-1 is everything I need (at 2/3s the cost :)). Had I known...

Believe me; I'm not complaining. The BDP-1 has served me exceptionally well. I haven't had the first issue (beyond a security issue in the delivered firmware), which is pretty amazing for a computer. I'm happy. I'm also happy to see that Byrston is still working to improve this product. When the BDP-3 is released, I'll still be delighted with my BDP-1. I just might slide it into the 2nd system and get the update. :wink:

srb

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2012, 07:19 pm »
Otherwise, the BDP-1 is everything I need (at 2/3s the cost :) )

If the BDP-2 turns out to be, as James said, "1/3 more money than the BDP-1", that would make the BDP-1 75% or 3/4 the cost of the BDP-2.  Just a little closer in price for those trying to decide between them.

Steve

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2012, 07:46 pm »
Hey Steve, I didn't think about it (was too busy getting my head around the fact that I could have waited a few months and gotten more), but you're right - roughly (it's actually 73.3% :lol:). It's close enough that I would have chosen the BDP-2. If one worries about having the latest and greatest, he'll either have nothing or be constantly replacing what he recently purchased.

C'est la guerre.

I'll definitely be following this thread. As I mentioned, it's great to see that Bryston isn't resting when it comes to this product (well, product line now).

adol290

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2012, 02:22 pm »
So,

If I have an internal SSD drive installed on the BDP-2 then
 I will be able to copy my music files from my PC directly to the Hard drive in the BDP-2.

Correct....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2012, 02:39 pm »
So,

If I have an internal SSD drive installed on the BDP-2 then
 I will be able to copy my music files from my PC directly to the Hard drive in the BDP-2.

Correct....

Correct - over the network.

james

brucek

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2012, 03:17 pm »
Correct - over the network.

james

But functionally that's no different than the existing BDP-1 with an external drive, or a new BDP-2 with an external drive. The only difference is that the drive can now be physically mounted inside the BDP-2 chassis. I don't really see the advantage, but I do see a disadavantage, in that it makes it more difficult to replace the drive if it fails and is internally mounted. Yes/No, or am I missing something?

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2012, 03:26 pm »
But functionally that's no different than the existing BDP-1 with an external drive, or a new BDP-2 with an external drive. The only difference is that the drive can now be physically mounted inside the BDP-2 chassis. I don't really see the advantage, but I do see a disadavantage, in that it makes it more difficult to replace the drive if it fails and is internally mounted. Yes/No, or am I missing something?

brucek

Hi Bruce

It is an example of meeting the market demand from our dealers and customers.  We were getting beat up about having to use an attached drive - where do I put it, does the cable make a difference etc. - so it appears people wanted a one box solution which the BDP-2 provides for.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2012, 06:17 pm »
Hi Bruce

It is an example of meeting the market demand from our dealers and customers.  We were getting beat up about having to use an attached drive - where do I put it, does the cable make a difference etc. - so it appears people wanted a one box solution which the BDP-2 provides for.

james

I can see both sides to be honest, but until you can get 2Tb SSDs I do not see the need for internal drives, I would perhaps change then.

I still think the idea of a Bryston Disc Enclosure is the answer to all the issues  :oops: :oops:

Cheers

Vipers

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2012, 09:07 pm »
I can see both sides to be honest, but until you can get 2Tb SSDs I do not see the need for internal drives, I would perhaps change then.

I still think the idea of a Bryston Disc Enclosure is the answer to all the issues  :oops: :oops:

Cheers

Hey Alpha, I admire your determination regarding the whole Bryston Drive Enclosure possibility, I fear though with the news of the BDP-2 that product really is dead in the water now.

Regarding the new BDP-2 and BDA-2 I think it is going to be extremely interesting to see what price PMC come up for the UK market. To be honest there really is no reason whatsoever that Bryston can't have more than one media player, look at Naim, they have a variety of streamers at different price points but generally the higher you go up in price the better performance there is in sound quality not just features. I think the problem really is in the naming, If Bryston had called it something like the BDP-1 MAX or something it doesn't look like the plain BDP-1 has been superseded but that there is now an alternative product for a different customer.

I know that Bryston are saying that both the BDP-1 and BDA-1 will stay in their current line up but I fear that the reality is that demand will soon dry up as everyone will want the new and improved '2' versions and the UK will end up with a Bryston Dac and Media player that will be priced significantly higher than the current models, I'm guessing these will come in at around a nice neat £2995, only guessing though. saying that I think the BDP-1 is actually worth £2995 as the Naim NDX cost that and I'd take the BDP-1 or BDP-2, for that matter, every time.

As for the DAC, I've been saying for some time now that the DAC is obviously a massive part of any system, whether built into a processor or separate, and I've been amazed that most companies only offer 1 version of their DAC, especially as separate DAC's have become so popular again lately, so I actually applaud Bryston in trying to offer 2 flavours of DAC, but again the only question that really matters when doing this, do the '2' versions with their price increases actually sound any better? I guess we'll have to wait and find out the answer to that one.

Personally I can't wait to get my hands on both products :)

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2012, 07:01 am »
Hi James, Chris,

It would be very nice if you could provide some more info in how to use the Upnp/DLNA service. Ive been playing with the feature in the beta software for sometime, but disabled it again, because i felt I couldn't get to grips with the possibilities on offer. Since you emphasize this option in the new BDP2 folder, I'd reiterate gladly.

One of my worries was that the updating-sequence of the BDP also updates all DLNA files on the network, which with all but very small libraries is a daunting task..... Please help us with the possibilties you have enabled, and how to go about.

Thanks,

Marius

***... UPnP/DNLA Server (Universal Plug and Play) Supported

Alpha10

« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2012, 07:29 am »
Hey Alpha, I admire your determination regarding the whole Bryston Drive Enclosure possibility, I fear though with the news of the BDP-2 that product really is dead in the water now.

There is a fine line between trying to resuscitate an ailing donkey with a stick and flogging a dead one  :duh:

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 4 Oct 2012, 11:08 am »
There is a fine line between trying to resuscitate an ailing donkey with a stick and flogging a dead one  :duh:

Cheers

Hi Folks

Yes we do not see a $1000 drive enclosure as something we will be pursuing.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 4 Oct 2012, 11:14 am »
Also I have seen posts on other forums that seem to indicate that we arbitrarily priced the BDP-2 Digital Player way above the normal manufactureing increased costs in order to provide a big enough gap in price to allow the BDP-1 to stay in the line ($2195 vs $2995) - nothing could be further from the truth.

Bryston is not that kind of company - we do not play marketiing games to manipulate the market place or our prices in the marketplace.  We obviously have to pass on increased costs to us but it is always done at a multiple of the base costs that allows us to survive. 

If this was not the case why is the new BDA-2 DAC only $200 more than the older BDA-1 DAC???

james

Alpha10

« Reply #15 on: 4 Oct 2012, 11:53 am »
Also I have seen posts on other forums that seem to indicate that we arbitrarily priced the BDP-2 Digital Player way above the normal manufactureing increased costs in order to provide a big enough gap in price to allow the BDP-1 to stay in the line ($2195 vs $2995) - nothing could be further from the truth.

Bryston is not that kind of company - we do not play marketiing games to manipulate the market place or our prices in the marketplace.  We obviously have to pass on increased costs to us but it is always done at a multiple of the base costs that allows us to survive. 

If this was not the case why is the new BDA-2 DAC only $200 more than the older BDA-1 DAC???

james

James, if you are talking about the AVF threads, the comments I do not think are aimed at you and Bryston, with regards to prices, more what PMC are going to do yet again to your prices/product once they get across here.

Cheers

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #16 on: 4 Oct 2012, 12:58 pm »
James, if you are talking about the AVF threads, the comments I do not think are aimed at you and Bryston, with regards to prices, more what PMC are going to do yet again to your prices/product once they get across here.

Cheers

Ditto for the Netherlands...
E.g. ONE new 7B SST2 is € 5790,- (us$ 7514.-) here, while in the US the same amp is $9190 a PAIR.
So adding $800 to the price tag will here mean a 1500 euro price difference... :(
Too much for me.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:26 pm »
Hi James, Chris,

It would be very nice if you could provide some more info in how to use the Upnp/DLNA service. Ive been playing with the feature in the beta software for sometime, but disabled it again, because i felt I couldn't get to grips with the possibilities on offer. Since you emphasize this option in the new BDP2 folder, I'd reiterate gladly.

One of my worries was that the updating-sequence of the BDP also updates all DLNA files on the network, which with all but very small libraries is a daunting task..... Please help us with the possibilties you have enabled, and how to go about.

Thanks,

Marius

Hi Marius,

The BDP-2 will serve any media that is connected to it (via NAS or USB), to UPnP/DLNA enabled devices.  It was relatively easy add on and the new system has the processing power to handle it.  So far we have tested high resolution audio files, pictures and 1080p video (H264).

Chris

Marius

« Reply #18 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:52 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thanks,
still: when I enable the service, in the drives pane in Max2 I see Upnp under my other drives, when i click on that, nothing appears. Still, I have several Upnp/DLNA servers running, on my Macbook, on my Samsung TV, etc etc. My tv sees my Macbook and the various servers (Vuze,PS3 media server, Plex)  , even the Marantz Na7004 does, but not in Max2. Vuze does see the Bdp1:

How to proceed. Do you have some userguide?

Marius

Hi Marius,

The BDP-2 will serve any media that is connected to it (via NAS or USB), to UPnP/DLNA enabled devices.  It was relatively easy add on and the new system has the processing power to handle it.  So far we have tested high resolution audio files, pictures and 1080p video (H264).

Chris

hal jones

« Reply #19 on: 4 Oct 2012, 08:23 pm »
When will these be available for order?  And what sort of production time is involved?

Thanks.  8)

ETA:.... just saw this.... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110081.msg1137849#msg1137849

So it can be "pre-ordered" now?
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2012, 09:42 pm by hal jones »