Questions on the VPC3 vs PLC1

biz97

Questions on the VPC3 vs PLC1
« on: 5 Feb 2008, 05:16 pm »
I am planning on upgrading to seperates from an integrated so that I can have more options on Sub integration (want to use passive filters to my mains).  I have had a VDAC2 for a while and have been very pleased with it. So I've decided that the D100s are the amps at the top of my list.  Right now I am a bit stuck on whether or not I should go with the VPC3 or the PLC1.  I only have one source (SB3 into the VDAC2) and have no plans on adding another.  The remote control feature is nice but I'm not sure I need it as I always find myself walking over my current integrated to dial in the exact volume level I want.  My question is:  Would going with the PLC-1 over the VPC-3 result in any significant audio advantages?  Obviously the PLC-1 is more flexible but what about the sound?  Thanks!

biz97

Re: Questions on the VPC3 vs PLC1
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2008, 08:42 pm »
Anyone using High Pass Filters with a Passive Preamp?  Any issues?  Want to filter out some of the low frequency from my mains and cross my subs higher.  Would this pose a problem?

biz97

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2008, 09:03 pm »
N/M,

Was able to talk to Dusty and got all the answer I needed.  Thanks again Dusty!

CSI

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2008, 11:28 pm »
biz97 you have a PM.

keenween

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2008, 01:49 am »
I'm in the same situation as the OP, any public thoughts on this?

CIAudio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:24 am »
There is no sonic difference between VPC-3 and PLC-1. They both use laser trimmed ALPS potentiometer as the attenuator. VPC-3 is a very simple but great sounding device. The PLC-1 adds several inputs, tape loop, 12v trigger output, full feature remote control, and a very nice machined aluminum chassis.

keenween

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:52 am »
Excellent. Thanks for the fast response!

biz97

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2008, 07:28 pm »
I ended up with a PLC-1.  If you can spring for it, I say it is worth it for the remote control ability alone :).

keenween

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2008, 05:28 pm »
I ordered the VPC-3 today! I don't have the flow for the PLC-1 at the moment, the remote would have been nice though. I'm really looking forward to this unit as it should integrate nicely into my system and provide a lot of the function I've been searching for.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2008, 07:50 pm »
If it's a passive preamp don't you have to use an amp with more gain than say 26 or so?

Cheers
                                                  Charlie