D-200 MKII Monoblock in Italy

aktarus

D-200 MKII Monoblock in Italy
« on: 6 Nov 2011, 10:42 am »
It is now more than a month that I'm listening to music with my new Channel Islands Audio D200MKII.
This was enough time for me to allow me to tell you the feelings you have listening to "music" with this new setup. I state that, I am not a supporter of the reviews of separate components, even though I am convinced that these have specific characteristics, but instead I am more convinced that it makes sense to talk about the sound of the whole, bearing in mind all of the components that compose it. So, I show you the setup in question:

CD: Goldenote Koala Tube
Preamplifier: Promitheus TVC Ref5
Final: Channel Islands Audio D-200 MKII
Speakers: Klipsch Cornwall III
CD Signal Cables> Pre and Pre> Finals: KimberKable Select KS 1026
Power Cables: Litz biwiring craft

This setup tends to a total neutrality, there is no component that emphasizes a frequency range rather than another, none of which is biased towards the hyper sound analyticity of the message, rather than to the more silky warmth of musicality. There are details and there is a lot of magic and the right heat. Before Channel Islands Audio D200MKII I had a couple of Italian mono tube amplifiers. These are single ended in pure Class A of 10 Watts, installing Russian Svetlana SV811, these valves are great sounding clean, detailed and very harmonious. However, I am listening to a lot of classical music and a lot of acoustic music and unfortunately in piano and pianissimo I was to receive much of the annoying hum picked up by the valves. This defect and the fact that power consumption was excessive and that the valves heat up excessively, has convinced me to experiment with the class D, which do not have these defects, indeed, have become advantages: low power consumption, low temperature and zero noise. The only concern I had was derived from the magic of music that I did not want to miss.
Well, after more than a month, I can say that the magic of the valve is intact in these final class D, but more extensive, I mean: tube amps are best in medium to high frequencies and SS amplifiers give their best in the low and very low, often showing gaps in the high range. The Channel Islands Audio D200MKII bring with them the sum of the strengths of the two classes mentioned above and zero defects. The audio message is complete, clear and airy, material is very dense, fast to handle the return of the bass drum and sweet closure of the piano notes, dealing with both natural female and male voices, excelling especially in the latter. The music seems to have no limits of expression, you can almost feel the tension and the aging of the skin of a drum, you can also imagine the callosity of fingers while pluck the strings of an acoustic guitar. The power of 200Watt is felt right in the spectrum range of medium-low, low and very low, making the sound never be even chewy and limp. The bass is dry, biting, and returns with powerful speed. The power of 200Watt is also felt in the medium-high and high ranges, demonstrating a dynamic and unmatched control. It's hard to believe that within these two heavy boxes of aluminum, there are no valves of absolute value, believe me, it makes it really difficult. But we understand that there's more if we focus on the low notes, these are a new and unexpected emotional depth.
My setup thanks and best wishes welcomes newcomers, I am sure, will live with me for a long time!
Dusry Congratulations!
Hello,
Fabio B.