What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #7940 on: 19 Oct 2014, 11:59 pm »

Maynard Ferguson ~ ''Straightaway'' Jazz Themes

CB I found 31 of his albums in those 3 tubs I picked up a week ago
This one plays way better than it looks  :thumb:

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7941 on: 20 Oct 2014, 12:02 am »
Saw Trane with his quartet- Tyner, Garrison, Jones- several times in the 60's.

Yes Mr. G, those are great albums indeed. Would have loved to have seen Trane in concert. But I'm just a youngster of 58 years.  :icon_lol:

Sunday Jazz is never complete without Monk. You ever see him?

The Thelonious Monk Quartet ~ Monk's Dream

Columbia

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7942 on: 20 Oct 2014, 12:48 am »
Guitar doesn't get much better!

Joe Pass  ~  Intercontinental

with Eberhard Weber, bass; Kenny Clare, drums

MPS/BASF, 1970

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7943 on: 20 Oct 2014, 12:50 am »

Maynard Ferguson ~ ''Straightaway'' Jazz Themes

CB I found 31 of his albums in those 3 tubs I picked up a week ago
This one plays way better than it looks  :thumb:

I'd would have bought that one just for the cover!! I love that Jag!!!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7944 on: 20 Oct 2014, 01:22 am »
Yes Mr. G, those are great albums indeed. Would have loved to have seen Trane in concert. But I'm just a youngster of 58 years.  :icon_lol:

Sunday Jazz is never complete without Monk. You ever see him?

The Thelonious Monk Quartet ~ Monk's Dream

Columbia

No, missed Monk.  In addition to Trane several times, I've seen Cannonball with brother Nat Adderley and Bobby Timmons and, later, with Joe Zawinul and Yusef Lateef; Chico Hamilton with Charles Lloyd and Gabor Szabo; the Albert Mangelsdorf Quintet; Horace Silver in a sextet; Roland Kirk and more recently at Small's in NYC Renee Rosnes with Chris Potter, tenor, etc.  I lived a block and a half from a club called Both/And in SF where I saw Sun Ra, the John Handy Quintet, and where Miles appeared with some of his Bitches Brew alum like Chick Corea and Benny Maupin.  Saw a singer from my teenage years in Chicago, Chris Conner.  Probably a few other groups whose names escape me at the moment. 

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7945 on: 20 Oct 2014, 01:38 am »
No, missed Monk.  In addition to Trane several times, I've seen Cannonball with brother Nat Adderley and Bobby Timmons and, later, with Joe Zawinul and Yusef Lateef; Chico Hamilton with Charles Lloyd and Gabor Szabo; the Albert Mangelsdorf Quintet; Horace Silver in a sextet; Roland Kirk and more recently at Small's in NYC Renee Rosnes with Chris Potter, tenor, etc.  I lived a block and a half from a club called Both/And in SF where I saw Sun Ra, the John Handy Quintet, and where Miles appeared with some of his Bitches Brew alum like Chick Corea and John McLaughlin.  Saw a singer from my teenage years in Chicago, Chris Conner.  Probably a few other groups whose names escape me at the moment.

Amazing Jim! I would have liked to have taken in a Newport Fest with Ellington and of course Satch and on! Being a guitar player I was lucky enough to see McLaughlin, Abercrombie, Fripp, Beck, Blackmore, Zappa and many more back in the 70's.  Great times!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7946 on: 20 Oct 2014, 01:53 am »
Amazing Jim! I would have liked to have taken in a Newport Fest with Ellington and of course Satch and on! Being a guitar player I was lucky enough to see McLaughlin, Abercrombie, Fripp, Beck, Blackmore, Zappa and many more back in the 70's.  Great times!
Man, those are some heavyweight guitar players that I would have liked to have seen.  I did see Zappa and company along with Captain Beefheart now that you mention it and that would have been in the 70's, too.  Oh, and Elvin Bishop and Carlos Santana on the same stage at a club called The Matrix in SF, once.  For rock bands I've seen the Dead and Jefferson Airplane and other bands at venues in SF in the 60's.  I may be travelin to NYC or Chicago within two weeks.  Haven't decided which.  Just for some fall color and some fun.  Might be too late for NY.  And I'll catch some tunes you bet yer dang skippy :thumb:.

rockadanny

« Reply #7947 on: 20 Oct 2014, 12:38 pm »
Hi Jim, they do a version "Love Supreme" & an acoustic version of "Naima". The sound quality is good, but it was a "one off' wonder of sorts that any  musician must hear in my world at least. I was going to see them when they played in Chicago in '73 but for some reason didn't. Like the album, they had Billy Cobham, Don Alias & Jan Hammer on drums! I missed a great one. I wasn't planning on playing it but the last one just ended and this one is front of me. What to do?? Cheers!

Carlos Santana and Mahavishnu John McLaughlin ~ Love Devotion Surrender
Columbia

Dat be da one, Roberto du Cacti.  The drumming is monsterous but hard to hear clearly.  What a band!  Cheers.

Jim - I do prefer this version. Far better sound on this Hybrid SACD (I only play Redbook, but sound is far better than the Columbia release).

I am collecting more and more MoFi these days. Expensive? Yes. But worth it to me. Especially for such terrific albums as this one.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7948 on: 20 Oct 2014, 02:57 pm »
Thanks, Danny.  What I have is vinyl, actually, and its not a good recording. 

rockadanny

« Reply #7949 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:19 pm »
Bummer

rockadanny

« Reply #7950 on: 23 Oct 2014, 09:55 pm »
Ending my work day with a couple from Kenny Dorham, "Inta Somethin'" and "Matador", both with Jackie McLean on alto sax. Actually, the reason I picked these two up was specifically because of Jackie McLean - I was looking for some of his stuff as a side man. JM is amongst my top favorite alto sax players. He always has something interesting to "say".

rockadanny

« Reply #7951 on: 23 Oct 2014, 11:49 pm »
Dog & cat fed. Horses fed and in the barn for the night. Time for a couple from The Man, 1958 and 1959, respectively

BTW, Donald Byrd is ON FIRE on Black Pearls.  :thumb:  So much so I thing he sets JC ablaze. Very inspired playing by both.
BTW(2), this is a helluva release. If you like JC and don't have this one, even though only 3 tracks, they are great! Even Red Garland sounds inspired here.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7952 on: 24 Oct 2014, 01:01 am »
Just picked this up with a bunch of other neat vinyl yesterday as a the local record store bought out the collection of a deceased dj.  Ok, she really isn't jazz, but the folks around here are more tuned in to the 1955 milieu.  This lp is a true NM.  How does something like this get passed down for nearly 70 years in such great condition. 
Piaf Tonight on Angel.

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7953 on: 24 Oct 2014, 11:40 pm »
TGIF!  :beer:

Donald Byrd / Booker Little  ~  The Third World

Featuring – Bill Evans, Curtis Fuller, Paul Chambers, "Philly" Joe Jones, Armando Perazo, Willie Rodriguez

TCB Records

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7954 on: 25 Oct 2014, 12:11 am »
McCoy Tyner  ~  Trident

with Ron Carter and Elvin Jones

Milestone, 1975

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7955 on: 25 Oct 2014, 01:03 am »
Stan Getz  ~  Captain Marvel

with Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Tony Williams and Airto

Columbia

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7956 on: 25 Oct 2014, 02:20 am »
Miles Davis at Fillmore

Columbia

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7957 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:58 pm »

Freddie Hubbard:     The Baddest Hubbard      '75, CTI

ArthurDent

« Reply #7958 on: 25 Oct 2014, 09:38 pm »

Keith Jarrett:     Treasure Island    '74, abc/Impulse

ArthurDent

« Reply #7959 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:25 pm »

John Klemmer:    Waterfalls    '72, abc/Impulse