BDP Drives

Pundamilia

BDP Drives
« on: 10 Dec 2017, 11:54 pm »
I have just upgraded to a BDA-3 and added an external drive with some DSD files on it to my BDP-2 which is not seeing the WD My Passport 4TB external drive. I already have a 1 GB internal drive on the BDP which still works fine. There is an electrical connection with the external drive because I can feel the drive turning, but it doesn't show up in Media Player or in the Dashboard > Disk Information. The system worked with an identical drive that I borrowed from a friend, but I can't figure out why the BDP-2 is not recognizing the USB drive.

Is there any preferred protocol in using the USB ports in the rear of the BDP-2? I have one port being used for a USB connection to my new BDA-3 (lower right of four rear USB ports). I have tried the 4 TB drive in both the upper and lower left hand USB ports on the rear, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in getting the BDP to recognize that the drive has been added. I have also re-booted the system (powered on and off) each time that I moved the input port, but still it doesn't show up in the BDP.

TIA for any useful suggestions you can offer.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: BDP Drives
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2017, 12:08 am »
^ Your drive: how is it partitioned?
mbr partition works.

Reformat drive if necessary -- use Disk Utility (Mac).

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2017, 12:21 am »
pundamilla: back up that drive BEFORE you re-format it (assuming that's what you may do).
 :duh: :lol:

Pundamilia

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2017, 12:24 am »
I was hoping to avoid that. Currently it is formatted as exFAT (on a Windows 7 PC). I have a backup, but it takes forever (give or take a few days :lol:) to restore and it is something that is my last resort.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2017, 12:30 am »
I was hoping to avoid that. Currently it is formatted as exFAT (on a Windows 7 PC). I have a backup, but it takes forever (give or take a few days :lol:) to restore and it is something that is my last resort.

I went thru the same route a long time ago....yawn

If it's worth anything, I've been using Seagate 1-TB drives without any issue. First thing I do before I copy any files over, is go into disk utility and check blank disk....and reformat if necessary...ugh.

I've also trimmed my disk contents to those albums that I listen to the most. No "complete library on the BDP" schiit anymore.  :lol: Makes re-copying a bit quicker...5-6 hrs instead of... :green:

good luck.

Pundamilia

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2017, 12:36 am »
Disk works fine under Windows 7 and OS X, but not under BDP OS. I did re-format under Win 7 to exFAT in a GUID partition before copying any files over.  Now Disk Utility tells me that there is "Error: Partition map check failed because no slices were found."

I guess my only alternative is to re-format and then re-load EVERYTHING. :duh: :duh:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2017, 12:42 am »
:roll: :shake: :sad:

Good thing you have a CD Player, eh?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2017, 02:02 am »
There was likley no reason to reformat the drive, exfat format should work just fine with manic moose.  It's also the current recommended filesystem of choice for USB drives.  I'm not sure which version if the firmware you have installed on your bdp, but you'll want to make sure it relatively recent.  Once you have your drive working again and if the bdp is still having difficulties reading seeing it you can always check information to see if it's See's the drive and if it's mounting the partition on the drive.

Chris

Pundamilia

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2017, 02:14 am »
Haven't reformatted the drive YET. Running MM 2.36 2017-10-06. As I said, it works fine on Win 7 and on OS X, but not on BDP. Did check Disk Information under Dashboard and No Show there either.  Can't understand why other identical 4 TB disk worked fine and this one won't? :scratch:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2017, 03:09 pm »
Haven't reformatted the drive YET. Running MM 2.36 2017-10-06. As I said, it works fine on Win 7 and on OS X, but not on BDP. Did check Disk Information under Dashboard and No Show there either.  Can't understand why other identical 4 TB disk worked fine and this one won't? :scratch:

These point to the specific drive as the culprit.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2017, 04:23 pm »

if you place the bdp into service mode and email me the service id id be happy to take a look.

Chris

Pundamilia

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2017, 08:29 pm »
The fact that the drive works fine under Windows and OS X points to the BDP or Linux as the culprit.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2017, 08:35 pm »
The fact that the drive works fine under Windows and OS X points to the BDP or Linux as the culprit.

Perhaps....then why would your other 4TB identical drives still work on BDP?  :scratch:

[you also have a 1-GB internal drive that works fine...]

Edit: Yes, if it's the BDP Linux, then I think it prefers only certain format partitions in the attached drive.

Pundamilia

« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2017, 10:57 pm »
The 1 TB "drive" is actually a flash memory card. I think this has something to do with the type of partition, but it is a standard GUID partitioned as exFAT, which I have used with many d]external drives on the BDP-2 and previously ono the BDP-1. For some reason this is a bad combination this time. Chris is looking at it, but I fear that I will have to start all over, since the system doesn't even "see" the drive as being connected.

Thanks for your input.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2017, 11:46 pm »
No worries, I hope it's fixed fast.  :thumb:  music deprivation is cruel.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2017, 01:08 pm »
Chris is looking at it, but I fear that I will have to start all over, since the system doesn't even "see" the drive as being connected.

Thanks for your input.

Punda, is it fixed? Diagnosis?

cheers