FS: High current 5V linear power supply

brj

FS: High current 5V linear power supply
« on: 22 Aug 2017, 09:07 am »
Hello!

For sale is a 5V linear DC power supply incorporating both Felicia balanced power conditioning and choke filtering on the incoming AC power.  Among other items, this is accomplished using Hammond chokes, Jensen 4-pole caps, and HEXFRED diodes.  It is fused to 2 amps.  I'm asking $425 plus shipping and any financial transaction fees.

I bought this in 2012 to power a Logitech Squeezebox Touch that I unfortunately killed shortly thereafter, leaving this power supply without a purpose ever since.  Immediately after purchase, I had Wayne @ Bolder Cable add a Bybee Music Rail to the unit, as well as an upgraded IEC, fuse holder and fuse.  (Note that Wayne implemented it correctly, upping the voltage entering the Music Rail to 5.5V to account for the 0.5V drop across the Bybee.)  He tightened all screws, applying Loctite, and replaced the DC connector as well as the choke switch (with a higher current model).  I then damped the chassis by lining the cover with Mortite and applying Teflon tape along the chassis edges that support the cover.  I also treated all connectors and the fuse with Caig DeoxIT Gold.

Some of the more notable components:
  • (1) Tamura model PL30-16-130B power transformer, 8V secondary @ 3.8A
  • (2) Okura model LP-520 24VAC @ 10A center tapped transformers
  • (2) Model 193L 5H Hammond filter chokes, of Richard Gray Power Station fame ($80 each on PartsExpress)
  • (4) Jensen 47,000uF 25V four-pole input/output caps ($90 each on PartsExpress)
  • Linear Technologies 1086-5 voltage regulator
  • HEXFRED ultrafast soft recovery diodes, model HFA08TB60
  • (1) Bybee Music Rail, 2A Positive ($75 on PartsExpress)
  • Acme Audio Labs AGC silver plated cyro treated fuse holder and silver ceramic fuse
  • Silver-plated copper mil-spec wire with Teflon insulation used throughout

It’s a beast of a power supply, measuring roughly 12” x 12” x 5" and weighing almost 19 lbs.  Using a strong light, I’m able to find only faint marks on the outer surfaces, as the well ventilated Par-Metal enclosure is made of steel with an aluminum faceplate.  The sale does not include an AC power cord, but the pictured DC power umbilical is included, which measures 45” long from the mating surface of the Neutrik PowerCon (NAC3FCA) connector on the power supply end to the mating surface of the DC output 5.5 x 2.5mm barrel connector.  The Techflex has no snags or runs, and the heat-shrink is unmarred.

Operationally, the small switch controls whether the series chokes are in the AC circuit, and the big switch turns the output power on and off. 

If you have additional questions or would like higher resolution photos emailed to you, please let me know.  Thank you!

Edit #1: Added photos and link to Felicia thread
Edit #2: Price reduced
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2018, 05:10 pm by brj »

JDUBS

Re: FS: High current 5V linear power supply
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2017, 01:12 pm »
Pics?

-Jim

brj

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2017, 07:31 pm »
Pics added.  (Note to self, don't post an ad in the wee hours of the morning.)

Look familiar? :)   Though I did have Wayne work a little of his magic to it...

JDUBS

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2017, 11:34 pm »
Lol, indeed it does!!!   :thumb:

Wow, this is a great PS!!

-Jim

audiogurujax

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2017, 06:14 pm »
Since the Transformer is an 8v can the unit be change to 7V by changing the regulator I ask because I have an Ultrarendu and this will be a nice PS for it but it will need at least 7v to work fine with the Ultra

brj

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2017, 05:21 am »
Hi audiogurujax.

PM sent!

brj

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2017, 08:17 am »
Bump...

brj

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2018, 06:10 am »
Price reduced to $550.

brj

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2018, 04:15 pm »
Bump.  Price reduced to $475.

brj

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2018, 05:12 pm »
Price reduced.  (Now below the price of the Jensen 4-poles and Bybee Music Rails alone...)