Using DAC-10 as a DAC only

SFDude

Using DAC-10 as a DAC only
« on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:30 pm »
Does anyone use their DAC-10 or DAC-10H as a DAC only and feed into their preamp? What volume level should I be setting it at to have the output level equivalent to a line level voltage?

And I should be using Low Gain output (2V), correct?

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Re: Using DAC-10 as a DAC only
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:58 pm »
The manual reeds that for a 2V input you get a 1x:1x output of 2V on LL mode at Vol. 93.

But I am also using the preamp, so not sure about that at all.  Just reading the manual.

Hope it helps in the meantime, best regards,
Rafa.

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2017, 08:52 pm »
Rafa is correct.  Low gain and 93.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:08 pm »
Does anyone use their DAC-10 or DAC-10H as a DAC only and feed into their preamp? What volume level should I be setting it at to have the output level equivalent to a line level voltage?

And I should be using Low Gain output (2V), correct?

If you can find the original early DAC-10 Manual there is actually a method to engage the DAC ONLY, although it is not listed as such.

It was, in that manual version called Home Theater By-pass (which it was not)

Maybe someone has that manual and can post it.

It converts the DAC-10 to a STRAIGHT DAC, and there is no setting the Volume Control, since it is out of the circuit.

So it acts as a DAC ONLY and yes the output voltage is 2v.

SFDude

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:14 pm »
Thanks guys. I finally saw this about 5 mins before I read the manual, where it's a little buried towards the last few pages. :)

That said, at 93 volume level, it still seems a little "hot" as the preamp volume control can get to about 10-11 o'clock before it is quite loud. Will continue to fiddle around with the volume level on the DAC-10.

SFDude

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:15 pm »
If you can find the original early DAC-10 Manual there is actually a method to engage the DAC ONLY, although it is not listed as such.

It was, in that manual version called Home Theater By-pass (which it was not)

Maybe someone has that manual and can post it.

It converts the DAC-10 to a STRAIGHT DAC, and there is no setting the Volume Control, since it is out of the circuit.

So it acts as a DAC ONLY and yes the output voltage is 2v.

Yes, there's a Home Theater bypass mode when you press Volume Up + Volume Down simultaneously for 3 seconds to engage this.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:17 pm »
Yes, there's a Home Theater bypass mode when you press Volume Up + Volume Down simultaneously for 3 seconds to engage this.

THAT is DAC ONLY MODE, it does not function as a HT bypass.

When in that mode, it will not be affected by Volume Control it will be FULL 100% 2v signal, just like any other DAC.

Then you simply run the DAC-10 Analog Outs to your Preamp, and Voila DAC ONLY.

SFDude

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2017, 11:20 pm »
THAT is DAC ONLY MODE, it does not function as a HT bypass.

When in that mode, it will not be affected by Volume Control it will be FULL 100% 2v signal, just like any other DAC.

Then you simply run the DAC-10 Analog Outs to your Preamp, and Voila DAC ONLY.

Thanks!

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2017, 11:22 pm »
This is interesting.  Why is it not in the manual? Seems like a really important piece of information.  Perhaps in an addendum or errata?

SFDude, did you hear any difference from setting it to Vol.93 and setting it to DAC ONLY?  Incidentally, how do you DISABLE DAC-only mode? Its another piece of important information! :P :)

SFDude

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:21 am »
This is interesting.  Why is it not in the manual? Seems like a really important piece of information.  Perhaps in an addendum or errata?

SFDude, did you hear any difference from setting it to Vol.93 and setting it to DAC ONLY?  Incidentally, how do you DISABLE DAC-only mode? Its another piece of important information! :P :)

Here's the instruction from the manual directly. It's sort of bundled with other instructions. :)

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2017, 06:39 am »
That line is not on the manual I downloaded! I have to check the printed manual.

So, did you hear a difference? Is the volume rating the same on your pre? I'm curious.

SFDude

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:32 am »
That line is not on the manual I downloaded! I have to check the printed manual.

So, did you hear a difference? Is the volume rating the same on your pre? I'm curious.

None at all. I switched back a few times with the volume on 93 and switching back to DAC-only mode. I couldn't tell the differences on multiple tracks, including some hirez stuff that I could normally pick out differences from system to system.

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2017, 04:22 pm »
None at all. I switched back a few times with the volume on 93 and switching back to DAC-only mode. I couldn't tell the differences on multiple tracks, including some hirez stuff that I could normally pick out differences from system to system.

That is a testament to how quiet the NuPRIME Volume Control is.

The procedure you employ with setting the Volume Control to 93 is useful as a HT By-Pass as it "keeps" the Volume Memory on all the other inputs, so you can calibrate the input for HT.

The procedure as posted above from the older manual actually by passes the Volume Control and the DAC-10 then is actually "DAC ONLY", which allows you to use another Preamp.  In this mode, there is no Volume Memory when you switch inputs, as with any other DAC.

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2017, 02:45 am »
I am also using it as a dac only, however, I keep it in the current mode and balanced all the inputs so that I do not get surprises when changing source. Love this memory function.

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2017, 03:08 am »
Oh, I forget to mention that I set the one with the highest input to 80 and the resr higher as necessary to balance the output. Since the output is analog, there is no effect on the fidelity.