IDA-8 self noise..

Kw6

IDA-8 self noise..
« on: 28 May 2017, 02:21 pm »
A French review had great things to say about the ida-8 but mentioned that when you place your ear to the tweeter he could hear noise. Also some mention of pop sound on turn on. Can anyone confirm this?

rustydoglim

Re: IDA-8 self noise..
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2017, 03:03 pm »
It depends on the sensitivity of the speaker, sure, IDA-8 has some noise if you put your ear next to the tweeter.  IDA-8 uses Class A transistors to create extra warmth and that also contribute to even order harmonics (the good sounding noise).
For a highly sensitive system, you can hear the noise of the violinist finger sliding across the strings, is that good or bad ?

Kw6

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2017, 01:28 am »
Hi Rusty,

I'm sure you heard your fair share if class D amps.  I am only familiar with the NAD c390dd and the smaller 3020. The c390dd is a direct digital amp. I feel it is very detailed but maybe a little but squeaky clean. So for sure your ida-8 has the same detail but offer a fuller warmer sound with a pristine treble? Thanks!

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2017, 01:43 am »
All semiconductors have junction noise,this is because electrons vibrate as they move in and out of the junction,I suspects this noise is coming from the ps if smps.If there's vol control and the noise is gone when you turn the volume down, i wouldn't worry about it.

Kw6

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2017, 06:17 am »
Yes it is what it is!  I will try to audition it!

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2017, 02:35 pm »
If you can't hear the noise even at low volume in normal sitting position, then focus on the sound quality (dynamic, detail, sound stage, separation, warmth, realism).  It drives me crazy when I hear audiophiles putting their ear right next to the tweeter (like inches away). Sure, we can make an amp that is absolutely quite, but then you would be complaining about all other things.

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2017, 04:01 am »
A French review had great things to say about the ida-8 but mentioned that when you place your ear to the tweeter he could hear noise. Also some mention of pop sound on turn on. Can anyone confirm this?

A good power line conditioner may be all that is needed.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2017, 04:12 am »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2017, 04:15 am »
A good power line conditioner may be all that is needed.

Witchdoctor, I know power conditioners and hi rez are your favourite topics to bring up in almost every thread, but as someone who owns the IDA-8 and many power related components, I can confidently state it will not make a difference in this case.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2017, 04:19 am »
power conditionings are generally used for safety of equipment

srb

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2017, 04:32 am »
power conditionings are generally used for safety of equipment
No, that would be a surge protector.

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2017, 04:56 pm »
Witchdoctor, I know power conditioners and hi rez are your favourite topics to bring up in almost every thread, but as someone who owns the IDA-8 and many power related components, I can confidently state it will not make a difference in this case.
Do you live in the OP's home? :scratch:

witchdoctor

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2017, 04:57 pm »
No, that would be a surge protector.
Thank you :thumb:

witchdoctor

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2017, 04:58 pm »

BTW. my FAVORITE topic is why two channel sucks compared to immersive audio, please visit that thread to discuss. Thanks :thumb:

Armaegis

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2017, 08:03 pm »
Do you live in the OP's home? :scratch:

No, but I have used the IDA-8 in multiple locations that have different quality power, with and without conditioners, with a variety of different speakers and even headphones directly off the binding posts. I also have similar experiences with other NuPrime and NuForce equipment. So when I say that I am confident in my assertions, it is backed up with a very diverse range of experiences and gear.

Perhaps your experiences lead you to say otherwise, but there is no need for a veiled condescending tone towards me.

Some equipment simply has an inherent noise floor, and no amount of special power conditioning will ever remove that.

BTW. my FAVORITE topic is why two channel sucks compared to immersive audio, please visit that thread to discuss. Thanks :thumb:

No thanks. I have no desire to get into those sort of debates.

As a side note, did you know you can multiquote in a single post? I've noticed you tend to make multiple replies to single quotes, which can make things difficult to read and follow. Using multiquotes can help keep things more concise.

Cheers

witchdoctor

« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2017, 09:23 pm »
No, but I have used the IDA-8 in multiple locations that have different quality power, with and without conditioners, with a variety of different speakers and even headphones directly off the binding posts. I also have similar experiences with other NuPrime and NuForce equipment. So when I say that I am confident in my assertions, it is backed up with a very diverse range of experiences and gear.

Perhaps your experiences lead you to say otherwise, but there is no need for a veiled condescending tone towards me.

Some equipment simply has an inherent noise floor, and no amount of special power conditioning will ever remove that.

No thanks. I have no desire to get into those sort of debates.

As a side note, did you know you can multiquote in a single post? I've noticed you tend to make multiple replies to single quotes, which can make things difficult to read and follow. Using multiquotes can help keep things more concise.

Cheers

So basically the amp hums no matter where you live or what you try, not exactly a vote of confidence but I'll take your word for it.

Armaegis

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2017, 10:42 pm »
We're talking about a marginal amount of noise that is only audible when you put your ear right up to the tweeter. It's not really anything to be concerned over.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2017, 10:48 pm »
So basically the amp hums no matter where you live or what you try, not exactly a vote of confidence but I'll take your word for it.

Hum comes from woofer not tweeter