New member question on IDA-8 amp!

Kw6

New member question on IDA-8 amp!
« on: 27 May 2017, 11:10 pm »
Hey guys just joined and was wondering if IDA-8 is stable at 1 ohm as I need to drive Martin Logan motion  esl as it dips to 1.6 ohms at 20 kHz.  Has anyone also compared it to the NAD 390dd integrated as that one I have heard.  Thanks!

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: New member question on IDA-8 amp!
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2017, 03:36 pm »
Hey guys just joined and was wondering if IDA-8 is stable at 1 ohm as I need to drive Martin Logan motion  esl as it dips to 1.6 ohms at 20 kHz.  Has anyone also compared it to the NAD 390dd integrated as that one I have heard.  Thanks!

That's 1.6 Ohm at 20K. If that were in the bass you should be worried  :D  It will perform just fine. If your budget allows, you might consider the IDA16. I realize that the specs show 20 watts as a minimum, but you will get a lot more dynamics with extra power. I have used both the 8 and 16 when developing speakers - the sound is in the same sonic signature - the difference is in the dynamics. Either way - they will sound really good.

Kw6

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2017, 01:17 am »
Alright thanks! I will think it over!  Could you please in a few words sum up the sonic signature of the IDA-8/16?

rustydoglim

• Facilitator
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2017, 02:36 pm »
Read the Amp Comparison Guide on the website (Under Guides section).

Kw6

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2017, 03:28 pm »
I have gone over the chart but was curious what Evoke's impressions were since he has heard them side by side.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2017, 04:04 pm »
I have gone over the chart but was curious what Evoke's impressions were since he has heard them side by side.

Um... I think it's fair to say that rustydoglim has heard both, considering he's the one that wrote the chart  :lol:

Kw6

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2017, 05:14 pm »
Yes of course but like to hear other's opinions too! :)

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2017, 05:32 pm »
Read the Amp Comparison Guide on the website (Under Guides section).

I can say from personal experience that the bottom end is defined and damped incredibly well. The mids and highs are VERY neutral - not cool or analytical - just accurate. If the very high end could be categorized in any way - you can hear the benefit of the circuitry design. Hope that helps.

Kw6

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2017, 12:47 am »
Thanks for your insight Evoke!