NuPrime IDA-8 and Linux

kevb

NuPrime IDA-8 and Linux
« on: 1 Nov 2015, 10:03 pm »
Hello,

I just picked up my IDA-8 today and I understand that the USB input it can be hit and miss for Linux.  I booted up into Daphile, which a Linux-based audio only program via USB.  I have yet to have any issues with any of my other DAC's (about 6 used so far).  When I booted into Daphile, I was pleased to see that I was presented with the option of selecting the 'NuPrime IDA-8' as my output device, so I selected it.  So far, so good.  Next I added music to the cue, and then hit play.  The IDA-8 recognized the sample rate of everything I tried.  However, there was one issue.  No sound.  At all. 

Since both devices recognize the other, and the IDA-8 displays the correct sampling rate, I am not entirely convinced it is a Linux issue.  Has anyone ever had an issue using the USB input where this issue has occurred where the IDA-8 recognizes the sample rate but fails to output audio?

I will try to use a Windows computer with USB when I get a chance....

Thanks!

rustydoglim

Re: NuPrime IDA-8 and Linux
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2015, 10:10 pm »
Check the AC socket to make sure setting is correct.  We have several people in the USA who encountered this issue.
IDA-8 are all shipped with AC switch set to 230V, not 110V.  The is a big sticker on the AC socket to remind people to check.

Also check the manual that you are not putting IDA-8 in mute.  It powered up in mute, I think.

Jason

kevb

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2015, 11:02 pm »
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the quick response!  Yes, it is set to 115V and works fine with the other inputs.  I will change USB cables too.   I have listened to the IDA-8 through the optical and the analog inputs, and they work fine.  I have raised the volume to 75 while the music was showing as playing as well.    :scratch:

Is the IDA-8 supposed to emit a loud pop when it it turned on?  It is more of a moderately loud "splat" sound when the muting comes off a few seconds after powering up.

Thanks again!
Kevin

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2015, 03:30 am »
Could be a "duh" moment... but did you check the system/device volume settings? I've had devices before that when recognized by the computer would automatically zero their volume output.

kevb

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2015, 10:12 pm »
Could be a "duh" moment... but did you check the system/device volume settings? I've had devices before that when recognized by the computer would automatically zero their volume output.

I was able to work with the developer of the Daphile program, and wth his help I was able to get Daphile working with the IDA-8.  There were 2 mixer settings that had to be enabled.  I had tried enabling each of them each individually, but not together.  Having them both on simultaneously corrected the issue.   :scratch: :dunno:

So, everything works beautifully well with Daphile and the IDA-8.  Glorious sound, I love it so far!   :thumb:

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2015, 12:23 am »
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the quick response!  Yes, it is set to 115V and works fine with the other inputs.  I will change USB cables too.   I have listened to the IDA-8 through the optical and the analog inputs, and they work fine.  I have raised the volume to 75 while the music was showing as playing as well.    :scratch:

Is the IDA-8 supposed to emit a loud pop when it it turned on?  It is more of a moderately loud "splat" sound when the muting comes off a few seconds after powering up.

Thanks again!
Kevin

There is a turn on poop, actually not very loud.  Come on, a drum would generate much louder percussion on the speaker.  I think the manual advice that when turn on or off, use the mute before turning off the power. This will prevent the little pop.

kevb

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2015, 02:52 am »
Hi Jason,

The pop is definitely louder than I am used to from my gear.  I am fine with it if that is the behaviour of this amp, I just want to make sure this wasn't something unusual.  I will take your advice and mute the amp before turning it off. 

I am very pleased with this amp - I have been listening to it non stop since I got it yesterday afternoon.  It is a amazing little amp!  :thumb:

EDIT: The muting before turning it off worked perfectly....thank you again!

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2017, 04:00 am »
Hello Kevb.

Very interested in your linux experience.  What linux computer where you using to run Daphile? Do you know what linux distro where you using?

I need to decide more or less quickly if I am going to order an IDA-8 and  I would like to hook it to a Raspberry Pi 3 running MoodeOS which is based on Raspbian.  I am really hoping it will work, but since, as you said, is hit or miss, I am researching everywhere for people with similar settings.  Thanks!

Rafa.