How much ventilation required for DAC-9 + STA-9

1st1015

How much ventilation required for DAC-9 + STA-9
« on: 8 May 2017, 06:48 am »
Hi,

I'm considering buying a DAC-9 + STA-9 combo for several reasons, but one is that I would like an amplifier that generates less heat than my current Class AB amp.

Does NuPrime amps generate less heat, using Class A+D technology?

I need to have my amp behind doors in a cupboard, though with a the partially open back section.
I'm placing the cupboard about one decimeter from the wall.

Is that too little ventilation or could it work?

seikosha

Re: How much ventilation required for DAC-9 + STA-9
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2017, 03:16 pm »
I've got an STA-9.  It actually runs warmer than the class A/B amps that I've owned.  It's definitely not like a typical Class D amp as far as heat goes.  It gets warm for sure.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2017, 04:16 pm »
Hi,

I'm considering buying a DAC-9 + STA-9 combo for several reasons, but one is that I would like an amplifier that generates less heat than my current Class AB amp.

Does NuPrime amps generate less heat, using Class A+D technology?

I need to have my amp behind doors in a cupboard, though with a the partially open back section.
I'm placing the cupboard about one decimeter from the wall.

Is that too little ventilation or could it work?

Quick answer - it is too little ventilation. It is possible to used enclosed spaces. But to do that you need cooling fans - that means you would not be able to put the the cabinet that close to the wall.

Could it work? I would not recommend it. Heat is one of the factors that lend to component failure.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2017, 02:28 am »
I don't think you will have any issues.

I have a pair of STA-9 that have been on 24/7 for 3 weeks, and they are only slightly warm to the touch. (like a mild fever)

Your idling temperature may vary depending on your speakers and wire load.

The top of the case is used for heat dissipation, and it is barely warmer than my hand.  A single amp in a contained space would certainly not feel cold to the touch, but you would not have a problem.

The DAC-9 would be even less.

I would place the STA-9 on top of the stack if you have a choice, and you would also benefit (heat wise) to find (if possible) some 1-1.5 inch rubber spacers, to put a little ventilation space below the amp section.

Something LIKE THIS

Also regarding of placement in the cabinet, the two components should be placed fairly low.  This, allows a greater space for heated air to rise and allow cooler air (which will be lower in the cupboard) to ventilate.

If you have really low impedance speakers and run them really hard, you will notice more heat will be produced, but likely nothing of concern.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2017, 04:05 am »
and you would also benefit (heat wise) to find (if possible) some 1-1.5 inch rubber spacers, to put a little ventilation space below the amp section.

Something LIKE THIS

As a Canadian, I am compelled to mention that hockey pucks also make great spacers and vibration absorbers for your equipment.

agdev01

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2017, 04:05 am »
I don't think you will have any issues.

The top of the case is used for heat dissipation, and it is barely warmer than my hand.  A single amp in a contained space would certainly not feel cold to the touch, but you would not have a problem.

I agree John. 

Using the chassis as a heat sink is a pretty efficient way of doing it, and while it may feel warm thats just a sign of it doing its job. 

As long as the cabinet wasn't sealed i wouldn't have any qualms with putting it in a cabinet.

1st1015

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2017, 05:51 am »
Thanks for all replies.

I could add that I'm using Dynaudio Emit M10 bookshelf speakers. They are 6 ohms.

At the moment the open section at the back of the cabinet is something like 2x5 dm and I could possibly open it up to be 5x5 dm with a bit of "carpentry".

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2017, 03:57 pm »
It is also "helpful" to have vent holes at the bottom. so that the cooler are below can rise to exit at the top.

Flow is important.