nuPrime DAC 10 not working on win. 10 over USB

resovia

nuPrime DAC 10 not working on win. 10 over USB
« on: 4 Oct 2016, 11:23 pm »
Hi,
I was very excited to receive my nuPrime DAC, but unfortunately cannot get it to work on my win. 10 over USB. Can anyone help with the link to the driver download? Thank you.

resovia

Re: nuPrime DAC 10 not working on win. 10 over USB
« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2016, 12:49 am »
Thank you Randy.

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2016, 02:03 am »
Also if you have recently installed the "Anniversary" update for 10 that takes several hours and multiple restarts there are reported problems with its USB driver implementation that were not there before the upgrade.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2016, 03:39 am »
Sigh, I hate dealing with usb. It mucks up so much, and it's really not NuPrime's fault when something doesn't work.

I more or less "cheat" these days and use a usb/spdif bridge to feed my dacs. It just happens that my bridge is a NuPrime uDSD and I use the coax output. The fewer usb drivers I have to install, the better my system runs.

Randy Myers

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2016, 03:49 am »
If you want to get the top resolution (i.e. DSD) then you will use USB.  If you do not have any DSD files then coax or optical is fine.  BTW- I normally have one USB driver installed.  I can't imagine why you would need more than that unless you are going to use multiple DACs. 

The uDSD is a DAC.  Why would you send it through another DAC.  Why not hook the analog outputs straight to your amplifier?  So to avoid using USB, you send it through anther USB and then convert it to spdif and then an additional DAC converts it again <tilts head like a little dog>.... kind of confusing to put all those extra conversions... all you need is the one USB driver to whichever is your end of the line DAC.

Armaegis

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2016, 05:47 am »
If you want to get the top resolution (i.e. DSD) then you will use USB.  If you do not have any DSD files then coax or optical is fine.  BTW- I normally have one USB driver installed.  I can't imagine why you would need more than that unless you are going to use multiple DACs. 

The uDSD is a DAC.  Why would you send it through another DAC.  Why not hook the analog outputs straight to your amplifier?  So to avoid using USB, you send it through anther USB and then convert it to spdif and then an additional DAC converts it again <tilts head like a little dog>.... kind of confusing to put all those extra conversions... all you need is the one USB driver to whichever is your end of the line DAC.

I have a multitude of dacs which rotate through my setup. They all have certain characteristics, or I just like having more gear to play with. Rather than install usb drivers for every single one, it's simpler to just use a single usb-spdif bridge to feed the dacs. Some dacs also have lousy usb implementations, or perhaps none at all.

There really isn't an "additional" conversion step. Even when you use a dac's usb input directly, it is still doing a conversion internally from the usb protocols. Essentially, all usb inputs are converters of some sort before feeding into the primary dac inputs.

Additionally for me, the NuPrime driver only works with one device at a time, but I have both the uDSD and IDA-8. Since I don't want to reinstall drivers each time, and I do take the uDSD for transportable use sometimes, it's easier to leave that as the one installed and then use the coax output to feed into the IDA-8 (and overall that's actually fewer conversions steps).

triumph

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2016, 04:05 pm »
I don't know about the IDA-8 DAC, but I do know the DAC inside the AVP (based on DAC-10) is much better that the uDSD DAC.  A lot more resolution.

I use the uDSD on a portable system, but the AVP USB DAC trumps it, as it should.

But, I am on a Mac system, so no drivers loading necessary when switching one for the other.

I'm not sure how your system works, but I would give the IDA-8 a chance to shine.

Randy Myers

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2016, 04:18 pm »
You are making my exact point.  Sending through multiple devices is cutting the signal back (it has to) and you are using the inferior device.  Also by sending the signal out the coax into the other DAC you have eliminated DSD in the equation:

24-bit/384kHz and native DSD 256 support
Discrete USB audio receiver and D/A converter, with coaxial S/PDIF (24bit/192kHz) output
Coaxial output can also stream DoP (DSD64) for long distance transmission of DSD from computer
Asynchronous transfer mode for doubled jitter-reduction at data input and over-sampling filter stages
High-performance headphone amplifier (balanced design)
High voltage 2V analog output (fixed volume direct DAC output)
Coaxial S/PDIF output
High-quality analog volume control
Diminutive size
USB powered, no external power supply required

As you see from NuPrime's specs sheet the S/PDIF output in up to 192kHz, not DSD.  This is fairly standard in the industry.  If you want to listen to DSD in all of it's glory you must send the signal directly through USB into the DAC that is connected to your amplifier.

Armaegis

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2016, 05:31 pm »
I'm not sure if we're just debating different sides of the same coin here...

1) I don't care about DSD, so that point is irrelevant to me
2) I value the convenience provided by using a singular usb-spdif converter so I can play with other dacs with minimal hassle and setup
3) It is *not* an extra conversion step, nor to I consider the conversion inferior (though this point is debatable). Every usb input on a dac is essentially a converter of some sort. All I'm doing with the uDSD is using it in place of some other dac's built-in converter

Randy Myers

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2016, 06:51 pm »
NuPrime are excellent products so as long as you are happy using it in this way is all that really matters.

resovia

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2016, 06:22 pm »
Thank you All again, after installing USB driver DAC is working fine on Win. 7/10, although have issues with couple of DSD files loosing/clipping sound in the middle.

Also from day one I am not sure if the volume control is working correctly. Created new thread for it.