DAC 10H and cabling

jonbee

DAC 10H and cabling
« on: 21 Jun 2016, 12:19 am »
After I swapped my N-Core/NAD M51 for ST-10/10H, I was very pleased overall, but felt the sound could use a bit more air and extension on top. My former stack was more forward on top, although not quite as clean as the NuPrime. I turned up my ambience tweeters some to compensate somewhat.
For digital input cabling I had simply used the digital coax I had been using, the $500 list Wireworld Gold Starlight 7, which was the best of many digital coaxes I'd tried over the years.
I thought I'd mix it up a little and bought the similarly priced Acoustic Zen Absolute 75 digital cable after reading descriptions of its "sound".  I must say that it was a nice improvement precisely where I wanted it. Now beautifully airy and finely detailed at the top. I have some recordings that have some great cymbal content, played with mallet, stick and brushes in sequence and the tonality, shimmer and definition is the best I've had here. Other content, such as violin, bells, sibilance, etc. is similarly now just right. I've turned the tweeters back down and just love the balance and openness.
The Wireworld has zero crystal silver conductors, and the AZ has zero crystal copper, with much different construction. Usually silver is considered to be the brighter, but not so in this case. The benefits of this kind of fine tuning is not transferrable from system to system, of course, but it illustrates the great resolution of the NuPrime gear, and the possibilities for really dialing them in to taste.
BTW, I'm using ZenWave D4 balanced ICs between the units, and they continue to deliver the goods big time.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: DAC 10H and cabling
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2016, 12:34 am »
After I swapped my N-Core/NAD M51 for ST-10/10H, I was very pleased overall, but felt the sound could use a bit more air and extension on top. My former stack was more forward on top, although not quite as clean as the NuPrime. I turned up my ambience tweeters some to compensate somewhat.
For digital input cabling I had simply used the digital coax I had been using, the $500 list Wireworld Gold Starlight 7, which was the best of many digital coaxes I'd tried over the years.
I thought I'd mix it up a little and bought the similarly priced Acoustic Zen Absolute 75 digital cable after reading descriptions of its "sound".  I must say that it was a nice improvement precisely where I wanted it. Now beautifully airy and finely detailed at the top. I have some recordings that have some great cymbal content, played with mallet, stick and brushes in sequence and the tonality, shimmer and definition is the best I've had here. Other content, such as violin, bells, sibilance, etc. is similarly now just right. I've turned the tweeters back down and just love the balance and openness.
The benefits of this kind of fine tuning is not transferrable from system to system, of course, but it illustrates the great resolution of the NuPrime gear, and the possibilities for really dialing them in to taste.
BTW, I'm using ZenWave D4 balanced ICs between the units, and they continue to deliver the goods big time.

Jonbee -

It's so interesting that products have gotten so good, and at a reasonable price, that it is possible to hear distinct differences between components and interconnects. And it's not like in the past where is was subtle with owners sort of chatting it up - now the differences are so clear that almost anyone can discern the difference almost immediately. For me this is good and bad. First you can have a lot of good gear but as you said - it's about fine tuning "your" system. A solution for one may not and most likely will not be right for another. I had that happen at Newport with EDDIE.  What seemed like a minor change in speaker cables was amazing. Given a lot of time and products to switch around I have no doubt things could be even more magical. It would be great if a high end audio dealer had a "cable testing package" that you could borrow to mix and match and then be able to buy the best combo. Do you or anyone know of someone who does this? Seems like a good idea.

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2016, 12:54 am »
The Cable Company has a loaner program, but that is the only one I am aware of.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2016, 01:44 am »

I'm sure a ZenWave D4 digital cable would take your system to another level.