DAC-9/DAC-10 Analogue Preamp suitability

dspringham

DAC-9/DAC-10 Analogue Preamp suitability
« on: 26 May 2016, 03:47 pm »
I'm wondering about the quality of these DACs in an analogue preamp capacity.

I already have an excellent server/DAC (Sony HPA-Z1ES with RWA Level 3 mods) and am wondering about feeding the analogue inputs only in order utilize a Nuprime solution for volume control/amplifier (ie say DAC-10/ST-10). Of course the DAC and ST would run in balanced connection.

My concern is regarding the quality of the DAC-9/10 preamp in regards to transparency and noise level. The Sony player has a balanced tube output stage with full battery supply and sounds terrific into a Wyred-4-Sound STP-SE buffered passive preamp feeding balanced outputs to Hypex ncore 400 amp. The Sony battery powered tube stage provides a nice holographic stage with lots of air and very low noise floor which is preserved by the balanced chain to the ncore amps. I am interested in trying out a Nuprime setup but don't want to step backwards in transparency and noise floor.

It's disappointing that the DAC-9/10 does not have balanced analogue inputs. I think this would make the kind of solution I am looking for much more attractive. However, what (if anything) would I be losing by using adapters at the output of the Sony to convert from balanced to single-ended in order to utilize the Nuprime inputs.

Look forward to your comments and suggestions with regards to what I could expect with Nuprime products in the context of my setup.

Regards,
Dave
« Last Edit: 26 May 2016, 11:05 pm by dspringham »

rustydoglim

Re: DAC-9/DAC-10 Analogue Preamp suitability
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2016, 09:13 pm »
I have explained on a FAQ that the preamp on DAC-9 and DAC-10 is as good as any expensive high-end preamp, due to the design.
See http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/faq-prod.html#faq_14

dspringham

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2016, 03:18 pm »
Thanks Jason,

Would the Nuforce MCP-18 main L/R input to balanced output path be the equivalent (in terms of transparency) to the DAC-10 analogue input path. Apparently they both utilize the Muses analogue volume control solution.

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2016, 03:45 pm »
I use both analog inputs on my DAC-10H.  Quite transparent and VERY quiet.

One is used for my phono stage and the other is for my cd/sacd player

dspringham

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2016, 07:01 pm »
Thanks Brad,

Yes, the analogue control in the DAC 10 appears to be a superior attenuator and seems to work very well. Since I don't require the bulit-in DAC (already have a high quality digital source) I am hopeful that the Nuforce MCP-18 will provide a highly transparent attenuator function (with balanced in/outs) for use fronting the Nuprime amps. We'll  see.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2016, 03:45 pm »
MCP has very good volume control, but I am not 100% sure that it is switched resistor network (I think so).  MCP-18 is a "steal" if you can still buy it for cheap.

shahed

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2016, 03:33 am »
I read the FAQ about volume control in DAC-10. I have no analog source, so interested in volume control for digital input. Still not sure, how the volume control is done for digital input. Is it entirely done in digital domain or a mixture digital domain + switch resistor?

There's no loss in resolution when volume attenuation is done in digital domain? 

Randy Myers

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2016, 04:07 am »
I use the DAC-10H for both analog and digital sources.  I run the analog from both my SA-CD spinners to L1 and L2.  I run USB from my music server and Coax input from the Marantz spinner for Redbook CDs.  I also use an Optical input from the Yamaha spinner for DVD Audio, HDCD and Blu-Ray audio disks.  I do not notice any difference in how the volume control works for analog or digital sources.  I do know that the analog inputs for SA-CDs works very good.  It sounds fantastic, certainly as good as most of the DSD downloads!  Oh, by the way, I replaced a STP-SE pre-amplfier with the DAC-10H.  The W4S might be slightly more refined, but for my purposes the NuPrime does an amazing job!  And the extras it brings to the table are simply amazing.

shahed

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2016, 04:18 am »
W4S STP-SE has very good reputation as preamp. So DAC-10 must be doing a great job!

Randy Myers

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2016, 04:24 am »
It certainly has impressed the heck out of me!

KLH007

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2016, 09:11 pm »
Using the DAC-9 as a preamp, I found it to be very transparent, and didn't diminish dynamics, I'd rate the DAC-9 a giant killer as both a DAC and a line stage.