MCH-K38 - a giant killer!

alexreusch

Re: The BEST AMP I have EVER heard (at ANY price) has 8 channels!
« Reply #40 on: 26 May 2016, 02:39 pm »

I can just agree 100% on all the positive posts, reviews and comments about the MCH-K38. I am using the multichannel combo HD-AVP/MCH-K38 and I am totally happy about the sound experience. I also run my front channels in balanced bridged configuration (6 channels) and the remaining two channels (rear left/right) unbalanced not bridged.

The sound stage is really amazing!  :thumb:

For pure audio listening, I use the high quality USB DAC (the HD-AVP has two separate DACs) in a stereo configuration (only front left/right channels are powered on). BTW: The USB DAC of the HD-AVP is equal to the DAC-10H. A very nice solution for feeding my USB DAC with high quality content is the Sonore microRendu in combination with roon (the microRendu is a supported roon endpoint). What can I say more? It is probably the best audio solution available on the market for a very reasonable budget. Ahh.. as background information: My speakers in use are the Piega Coax 70 (front) Coax 10 (rear) and Coax Center.

maty

« Reply #41 on: 26 May 2016, 03:29 pm »
@alexreusch

Two questions:

1ª Do you live in Reus / Tarragona / Spain? I live in Tarragona.

2ª Do you use a power conditioner?

alexreusch

« Reply #42 on: 26 May 2016, 03:34 pm »
@alexreusch

Two questions:

1ª Do you live in Reus / Tarragona / Spain? I live in Tarragona.
No, I do live in Zurich, Switzerland

2ª Do you use a power conditioner?
Yes, I use the Isotek EVO3 Aquarius, the unit at the bottom in my rack.

maty

« Reply #43 on: 26 May 2016, 03:45 pm »
Bad luck for me (I would have invited me to your house)  8)

Usually, traditional Class D amplifiers are connected directly to the wall. It is very good to know that NuPrime Class A+D amps tolerate a power conditioner!!!!

John Casler

« Reply #44 on: 26 May 2016, 05:15 pm »
John, don't take this too literal or personal. Audio gear and systems as a whole are sort of like... women... (up to a certain extent). The more time you spend with them, the more you get to know them. If the relationship (or relationships) are positive and enduring - not merely a brief encounters or even worse ...one nighters - you really get to know that piece of gear ...or woman. She (or it) makes a memorable and enduring impression.

But if you're a gear slut so to speak in the sense that you always have a lot of girls on the go, you'll never be in a position to rightly judge the intimate knowledge that only comes from having an enduring relationship.

Hi Windchaser,

And I do take what you said literally and personally and TOTALLY Agree.

Now of course, I have not had hundreds of MegaBuck amps in "long term relationships", (which would be difficult) but due to the level I have been involved in the Hobby, and the Business, I have a very large group of evaluating criteria that I have used (and refined) for decades.

As well, I have a significant number of specific and critically selected reference recordings that I have accumulated that provide comparative insight into reproductive abilities (that is speakers, not ladies  :nono:)

And of course, one can not truly evaluate gear differences without having it in the same system and room.

But, we can only do with the experiences we have had.  My evaluations are not and should not threaten or question the evaluations of others, and were not intended as such.

The sole purpose was to convey, 1) My utter surprise at the mind boggling sonic properties of this specific amp, which I have spent considerable time with now. 2) To provide a path to others, who might never have considered such an amp due to the fact that is seems "purposed" for an entirely different use.

Will it be THE BEST AMP "you" ever heard?  Only you can judge that, but up to this point, I have helped place a good number of these, and EVERY OWNER is very pleased.  I might think that some of them will find, like that fantasy woman you speak of, that the more time they spend in her Sonic Arms, the more IN LOVE they will be.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #45 on: 26 May 2016, 06:53 pm »
DAC (Digital Amplifier Company) has also claimed to have built the best amp ever so you're not alone at issuing this opinion. What rubs me the wrong way is the hyped salesmanship. Since this is an "audiophile" forum don't you think that the over caffeinated sales pitch is overkill in addressing a relatively sophisticated audience? Hard sell sorta turns me off.

Brad

« Reply #46 on: 26 May 2016, 07:35 pm »
DAC (Digital Amplifier Company) has also claimed to have built the best amp ever so you're not alone at issuing this opinion. What rubs me the wrong way is the hyped salesmanship. Since this is an "audiophile" forum don't you think that the over caffeinated sales pitch is overkill in addressing a relatively sophisticated audience? Hard sell sorta turns me off.

Have you MET John?  :o
That's just his personality, and this is kind of subdued for him.
I heard it as him saying, "hey, here's something you might not have considered that has proven to be fantastic in my system"

OzarkTom

« Reply #47 on: 26 May 2016, 07:36 pm »

And what about the Nores four years ago. I have noticed many of those fanboys have sold them, even the NC1200's.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #48 on: 26 May 2016, 07:59 pm »
And what about the Nores four years ago. I have noticed many of those fanboys have sold them, even the NC1200's.
That's exactly what I was wondering about as I read along through the thread.
 And for the record, I own a couple of NuForce pieces (neither are class D amps) and love them both.

mr_bill

« Reply #49 on: 26 May 2016, 08:02 pm »
I TRUST JOHN C and his opinions.

kevb

« Reply #50 on: 26 May 2016, 08:21 pm »
All my previous digital amps I could not wait to sell because none of them could shed the artifice.  I have a pair of Crowns now, which were the best of the bunch, and I never truly warmed to those either - they are OK for the high power application that I need.  They all sound like amps, and digital ones at that.  Not the Nuprime's.  And I am a hard one to satisfy.  If it didn't perform up to the level of the oversell, they would be gone.  I was a skeptic who bought, and became a believer.   They tend to get out of the way of the music, which is a lot harder said than done.

bummrush

« Reply #51 on: 26 May 2016, 08:42 pm »
Same here. It was almost like they made my skin crawl. But really one problem i had with was the bass, maybe it was my speakers, i dont know,it just seemed like there was way way to much,to overpowering. It was all i focused on.I know some can like that,but its not for me one bit. It certainly wasnt what you'd hear in a performance.  Is this at all similar to anyone else?

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #52 on: 26 May 2016, 09:02 pm »
Same here. It was almost like they made my skin crawl. But really one problem i had with was the bass, maybe it was my speakers, i dont know,it just seemed like there was way way to much,to overpowering. It was all i focused on.I know some can like that,but its not for me one bit. It certainly wasnt what you'd hear in a performance.  Is this at all similar to anyone else?

I was VERY biased against Class D in every way - no pun intended. I was a total Class A or tube guy. However, Class D has really matured in so many ways. I wouldn't have believed it until I heard it - but the NuPrime blew me away. That's my experience and I bought their amp. I've owned Audio Research, a behemoth Yamaha M-2 (remember those), Transnova Hafler, Bryston and a VTL for a while until my friend demanded them back.

There are still pro class D amps that I really dislike. They're mostly for brute power on concert tours etc... I don't think it's fair to compare those to audiophile companies that are really trying to develop this technology.  Oh - as a side note - I don't have to run the air conditioner when my amp is on anymore  :lol: :lol: :lol:

kevb

« Reply #53 on: 26 May 2016, 09:37 pm »

My Crown XLS-2500's were like that with my Usher CP-6311's.  At least until the volume was goosed a little.  Then the balance seemed to be restored.  But you are correct about the skin crawling thing - I find that most non-tube amps make me suffer from than feeling....with the notable exception of the NuPrime(s). They make me feel more relaxed during listening sessions.

maty

« Reply #54 on: 26 May 2016, 09:47 pm »
Traditional class D amps have problems with the tweeter or HF, creating an artificial sound.

With a class A buffer the sound is better. And with the addition of even harmonics (via pair of JFET), like new NuPrime amps, a hopeful future opens for class D, I think.

The ideal is an integrated like Nuprime IDA-8 but with good/last dual ESS Sabre DAC, bigger toroid and capacitors. And we can adjust the power of the harmonics is the future too.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
My NuPrime Gear Just Arrived !!!
« Reply #55 on: 27 May 2016, 02:47 am »
OK - my HD-AVP and MCH-K38 just arrived. They are not hooked up yet. But as a marketing guy / audiophile / etc ... I can tell you that the products are packaged as nicely as an iPhone. Very cool.  So the first thing you see after unpacking the components is a RED label about selecting voltage. Don't see those too often.

Onto something interesting. I used to have a Lexicon pre-amp. The manual was like a book. Brilliantly written. A pain in the you know what - but you could always find the answers. Well, the NuPrime stuff has an iPhone like short printed manual. If totally iPhone like - there would be a gazillion page manual online.

I really want to play with this stuff... I plan to bridge 4 channels for 400 x 2 for my mains, and that leaves 200 x 4 which I will use 3 channels for my center and surrounds. This gear is VERY involved and after the last few glasses of Chardonnay, I think I will wait until tomorrow before I start hooking things up. :thumb:

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #56 on: 27 May 2016, 03:18 am »
Traditional class D amps have problems with the tweeter or HF, creating an artificial sound.

With a class A buffer the sound is better. And with the addition of even harmonics (via pair of JFET), like new NuPrime amps, a hopeful future opens for class D, I think.

The ideal is an integrated like Nuprime IDA-8 but with good/last dual ESS Sabre DAC, bigger toroid and capacitors. And we can adjust the power of the harmonics is the future too.

Hi Maty

you mention class-d with 90% efficiency,and you say class-a buffer sounds bettter with 25% efficiency,i wont go to hf problems with class-d (could be ultrasonic beating with audio freq. creating distortion and noise in hf),then you say ida-8 is ideal but with ess sabre dac?,then bigger toroid and caps with class-d?my view is these are smaller than other amps (smps),but if it is conventional ps?would they be bigger?yes! you're right!

the reason i respond to you is i'm really confused...

please explain, is your opinion objective or subjective?

thank you and regards

maty

« Reply #57 on: 27 May 2016, 06:47 am »
I would have to write about other amplifiers using class D and how they have improved the sound but this is not the thread.

A good class D integrated, with DAC, only have ONE buffer -> S/N is better than two or more buffers.

John Casler

« Reply #58 on: 27 May 2016, 06:53 am »
Have you MET John?  :o
That's just his personality, and this is kind of subdued for him.
I heard it as him saying, "hey, here's something you might not have considered that has proven to be fantastic in my system"

Thanks Brad,

Yes, that is it.

Strangely enough, I toned my "actual" enthusiasm DOWN a couple notches before I hit post.  :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #59 on: 27 May 2016, 06:57 am »
I TRUST JOHN C and his opinions.

Thanks Bill.

Those who know me, know I take this seriously.

I wanted to write and post this thread almost 2 months ago after I first heard the amp, as I was FLOORED.

But, I felt more comfortable exploring it in greater detail, and having multiple listening partners listen to see if THEY would hear the same things.

They DID :thumb: