MQA

bh46118

Re: MQA
« Reply #20 on: 4 May 2016, 01:05 pm »
Unpack is the word I should have used.

Your saying the (unfolding) part isn't possible ?

rbbert

« Reply #21 on: 4 May 2016, 01:19 pm »
Unpack is the word I should have used.
Makes no difference which term you use, it's still lossy  :lol:

Don_S

« Reply #22 on: 4 May 2016, 02:15 pm »
I am still waiting for SACD to hit big.  :duh: :lol:

Don_S

« Reply #23 on: 4 May 2016, 02:21 pm »
For anyone attending T.H.E. Show Newport Beach,  MQA is listed in room 1201.  Meridian will be in rooms 1248 & 1249.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #24 on: 4 May 2016, 08:30 pm »
I am still waiting for SACD to hit big.  :duh: :lol:
I've got these quadraphonic LPs but nothing to play them on...

bh46118

« Reply #25 on: 6 May 2016, 05:12 am »
On page 74 of the latest Absolute Sound in the MQA FAQ list, the last comment states that MQA is the antithesis of lossy compression, are they lying ?

Makes no difference which term you use, it's still lossy  :lol:

bacobits1

« Reply #26 on: 6 May 2016, 09:57 am »
Too much smoke and mirrors!

BTW I would never give Tidal a dime no matter what just because who ownes it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 6 May 2016, 11:24 am »
So who owns Tidal?

rbbert

« Reply #28 on: 6 May 2016, 01:00 pm »
On page 74 of the latest Absolute Sound in the MQA FAQ list, the last comment states that MQA is the antithesis of lossy compression, are they lying ?
Yes.  There used to be a "white paper" on Meridian's website (it has apparently been removed) describing MQA including its lossy compression scheme.  In general, be very skeptical about anything in TAS; for example, their hi-res music reviews continue to propogate the myth that identical digital files sound different depending on where you buy them.  Other articles insist that WAV > FLAC > WAV causes incremental losses each time it is performed.

oldzorki

« Reply #29 on: 6 May 2016, 01:04 pm »
I really like Tidal, but despite claims of CD-quality sound it does not sounds like my CD Rips, forget about hi-rez.
I am taking all this MQA chatter with a very sizeable grain of salt. And if it really such a great codec - there should be a way to transcode it to hi-rez on the fly on PC...

mav52

« Reply #30 on: 6 May 2016, 01:14 pm »
So who owns Tidal?

The principal owner =  Jay Z

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 6 May 2016, 08:21 pm »
For anyone attending T.H.E. Show Newport Beach,  MQA is listed in room 1201.  Meridian will be in rooms 1248 & 1249.

Hi Don, and NuPRIME will be be in ROOM 1046 with EVOKE Speakers.

Swing by and hear us.

CLICK HERE

bh46118

« Reply #32 on: 7 May 2016, 02:31 am »
Looks like the MQA tomfoolery just took a step forward with Warner Music Group. :lol:

JackD

« Reply #33 on: 7 May 2016, 03:21 am »
Why don't you just buy in then and let us know how long it takes to get a decent library and then how it sounds.  Their demos are with selected cuts from small vendors on $100,000 worth of gear including a $70,000 DAC.  You will certainly not get that sound on a $300 USB only DAC on your system, but if you are so confident give it a try.

bh46118

« Reply #34 on: 7 May 2016, 03:54 am »
MQA may, or may not be what they say it is, I'm not sure because I haven't heard it yet. You on the other hand know ALL about it, also without having ever heard it. One thing I am absolutely sure of, you are snarky and obnoxious. As far as I'm concerned this thread can be deleted.

Why don't you just buy in then and let us know how long it takes to get a decent library and then how it sounds.  Their demos are with selected cuts from small vendors on $100,000 worth of gear including a $70,000 DAC.  You will certainly not get that sound on a $300 USB only DAC on your system, but if you are so confident give it a try.

JackD

« Reply #35 on: 7 May 2016, 04:25 am »
No, I am not "snarky and obnoxious' just realistic because I have been down this road before with the same people. You, on the other hand keep touting the "next big thing" regardless of what the facts are about their demo's, test equipment and source material.  So like I said, buy in and let us doubters know how it works out.  It is not my place to be a cheerleader. But unless I am shocked you will have to buy a separate "cheap" USB DAC from Meridian or a much more expensive one to find out. 

rbbert

« Reply #36 on: 7 May 2016, 12:43 pm »
There is the "medium" priced Mytek Brooklyn at $2k

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/brooklyn_dac_hifi/

bh46118

« Reply #37 on: 7 May 2016, 09:07 pm »
I'm not (touting) a damn thing, just mentioning something in the news that may or may not be of value to the audiophile community. I just spent a good deal of money, from my perspective anyway, on my IDA-16, and my OP had to do with whether or not it could be made compliant to MQA if it happens to become a reality. You had a bad experience with Meridian, we all get that, but I don't have to ignore the possibilities of MQA just cause you say so. Maybe MQA will be a big stinking turd, maybe it won't, time will tell. I would also say that the $70,000 DAC you mention is probably overpriced by about $69,000.

No, I am not "snarky and obnoxious' just realistic because I have been down this road before with the same people. You, on the other hand keep touting the "next big thing" regardless of what the facts are about their demo's, test equipment and source material.  So like I said, buy in and let us doubters know how it works out.  It is not my place to be a cheerleader. But unless I am shocked you will have to buy a separate "cheap" USB DAC from Meridian or a much more expensive one to find out.

rbbert

« Reply #38 on: 7 May 2016, 10:10 pm »
...my OP had to do with whether or not it could be made compliant to MQA if it happens to become a reality...
My feelings on MQA aside, I think this is a reasonable question, especially since at least 2 companies (dcs and Mytek) have either made or promised to make some of their DAC's MQA-capable.

JackD

« Reply #39 on: 7 May 2016, 11:50 pm »
Auralic has also said they will do it too on some of their units including the Aries Mini, so it comes down to whether or not there is a mechanism in place on the IDA-16 to do firmware/software upgrades and whether Jason wants to do it or just deal with it on more recent or future releases.  In another thread he seemed hesitant on Roon. I have no expectation as to that happening on my IDA-8 or DAC-10.