Which Nuprime are the quietest?

dewar

Which Nuprime are the quietest?
« on: 10 Mar 2016, 09:44 pm »
Wanted to ask because I've read specific mention of the IDA-16 being extremely quiet, and of the IDA-8 having a small bit of noise. Is there much difference between these two, and between the dedicated power amp?

I'm wanting a very quiet amp for nearfield listening on 100db horns.

I see the headphone amp can put out 10W, might this be a contender on speakers?

Thanks,
B

rustydoglim

Re: Which Nuprime are the quietest?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2016, 09:50 pm »
Either one of them will be just fine for your need. Please see the amp comparison on the website (under product menu) for their differences. You should pick the amp with sonic characteristic that meet your preference. 

If you don't have a DAC, then DAC-10H might be what you need, and it has the power to drive your horn speaker.
DAC-10H and STA-9 combo is very good.

dewar

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2016, 10:04 pm »
Thanks very much.

That leads to another question now - which is how do I buy any of these in Australia. There is no dealer in Oz, and I can't even find any for sale in any classifieds...

CHeers
Bevan

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2016, 10:15 pm »
These guys are the distributors for Oz and NZ.

http://totallywired.co.nz/

mervinpearce

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2016, 04:46 pm »
To interject, I have both the IDA-8 and IDA-16 and I find them dead quiet with no source playing at max volume

dewar

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2016, 10:23 pm »
Thanks very much all.

Mervin, can I ask what the sound difference is between those two, and which you prefer? Thanks

mervinpearce

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2016, 01:11 am »
Thanks very much all.

Mervin, can I ask what the sound difference is between those two, and which you prefer? Thanks
If I had to choose it would be the IDA-16 as it is more a reference sound to me and have oodles of power to control.
The IDA-8 has a more pronounced base and it really works well with my Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors or the Vivid Audio V1.5 (side alien looking ones).  Tested with my Wilsons but the IDA-16 is doinng duty on the biggerr Vivid Audio B1 now.

dewar

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2016, 01:16 am »
Thanks Mervin, much appreciated.

dewar

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2016, 12:04 pm »
I took delivery of an IDA-8 today, and it sounds good with some Whsrfedale Jades I'm running it with at the moment.

Problem is it's not as quiet as I'd hoped. On these 87db speaker I can just hear some (volume invariant) high freq hiss from my listening position at 3m away with no music playing. Barely audible, but still noisier than most other SS amps I've had.

The real issue is that I bought this for some 100db horn that are on order, and specifically because it has a reputation as being nearly dead quiet. At 13db louder this hiss will be hard to live with. Could there be an issue with my particular amp?

Cheers
Bevan

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2016, 03:25 pm »
Hello, dewar.

I've had an IDA-8 for 7 months now and mine is dead quiet. I'm trying to remember if it was so quiet when I first powered it up because after about one month, I added in a PI Audio DigiBUSS. I had ordered the DigiBUSS at around the same time as I ordered my IDA-8, but it took longer to arrive. That's been a part of my system ever since. Okay, I just don't recall any issue with noise or background hiss.

Where are you located? Is your electric power supply known to be dirty? Are you using the stock power cord?

Good luck with this!

Michael

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2016, 08:45 pm »
Are you connecting your "noisy" IDA-8 to a computer for your evaluation?
I have a long discussion with a customer on Facebook about noise with DAC-9 and after several days, he finally found out that the noise is coming from the computer.  I think for his case using a USB adapter with 5V removed would help. 

mervinpearce

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:10 am »
Sorry but I have never had any 'noise' issues with bith my IDA-8 or IDA-16. One of the reasons I parted with my $ is the black background. (see what I did, just like a reviewer) I have put on my source and put the amps full blast just to listen for 'noise'.... nada, zilch, nothing, niks nie....

dewar

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2016, 08:36 am »
Thanks for your inputs.

This hiss is the same regardless of volume setting, and does not change when I disconnect all inputs and sub outputs.

Cheers
B

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2016, 11:47 am »
 :o

I'm stumped, but I'm no engineer. I hope you are able to solve this issue. My unit just doesn't have that issue.

Michael

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2016, 12:04 pm »
Thanks for your inputs.

This hiss is the same regardless of volume setting, and does not change when I disconnect all inputs and sub outputs.

Cheers
B

Have you contacted NuPrime? Low noise levels are a selling point for NuPrime so it sounds like you have a defective unit.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2016, 10:19 pm »
Have you tried different outlets in the house? I have found sometimes my equipment is particularly susceptible to grounding/electrical noise.

dewar

« Reply #16 on: 8 Apr 2016, 12:09 am »
Cheers, will test in another house today, and compare it to a NAD 7050...

dwaleke

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2016, 04:34 pm »
dewar,

Did you ever figure out your noise issue?