NuPrime IDA-16 8 & 4 ohms power

Ozwel

NuPrime IDA-16 8 & 4 ohms power
« on: 1 Mar 2016, 07:24 pm »
Hi everyone,

I notice all NuPrime amps deliver the same power output on both 8 and 4 ohms speakers (at least in the specs).

This behaviour is usually avoided at all cost with class A and class B amplifiers, meaning the amp is not able to deliver enough current. Amps able to deliver a lot of current are usually able to deliver twice the 8 ohms output power with 4 ohms speakers (2x200W @8ohms = 2x400W @4 ohms).

Can you explain why such a behavour with NuPrime amps? Are those amps hardly able to manage 4 ohms speakers?

Regards,

pixelmixture

Re: NuPrime IDA-16 8 & 4 ohms power
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2016, 10:43 pm »
i thought ida-8 was 100Wx2@8Ohm (180Wx2@4 Ohm)

srb

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2016, 01:40 am »
All of the NuPrime amplifiers (IDA-8, IDA-16, STA-9, STA-9 (mono), ST-10, & MCH-K38) per the NuPrime website are specified to have the same power output at both 8 ohms and 4 ohms.

Interestingly, in the Specifications section of the MCH-K38 is an added note after the power rating which looks at this performance rating from the opposite angle:

"MCH-K38 is able to maintain the same power rating at 8 Ohms due to a large power supply"

Steve

pixelmixture

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2016, 04:45 pm »
my sonus faber are rated 6Ohms and perfectly drived by the ida-8 ...

Following in a long tradition of audio excellence, the NuPrime IDA-8 combines the substance and warmth of an Ultra-Linear Class A Module (ULCAM) in the preamp stage with the extraordinary speed of NuPrime’s  proprietary Class-D power for a spacious, transparent, dynamic  and luxuriously textured soundstage. The IDA-8’s exemplary distortion numbers (THD+N=0.005% and SNR=-130dB) account for the unit’s peerless clarity.  With the inclusion of a DAC that decodes USB PCM 384 and DSD256 in addition to a 100Wx2@8Ohm (180Wx2@4 Ohm) power amp in a 8.5” wide chassis, the NuPrime IDA-8 is truly a technological milestone

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2016, 09:35 am »
I notice all NuPrime amps deliver the same power output on both 8 and 4 ohms speakers (at least in the specs).
This behaviour is usually avoided at all cost with class A and class B amplifiers, meaning the amp is not able to deliver enough current. Amps able to deliver a lot of current are usually able to deliver twice the 8 ohms output power with 4 ohms speakers (2x200W @8ohms = 2x400W @4 ohms).

Can you explain why such a behavour with NuPrime amps? Are those amps hardly able to manage 4 ohms speakers?

Regards,

Yes, I can easily explain.  There is two side to a coin.  The truth is that the amp is capable of MORE power than the spec suggested. So if 4 and 8 ohm at spec at 100Wx2, that means the power supply is a 200W PSU.  And we are extremely conservative about our power rating. Some customer measured a 180W for IDA-8 because he is using just one channel to do the measurement :).  So, if IDA-8 is in a bigger case, and we put in a 300W PSU, you will see a higher rating.
The amp is too powerful.  In reality, you get more than 100W per channel from the 200W PSU, because not both channels are driven at the same time.  We do not like to get into the power rating bullshit. 
Why don't we put in a bigger PSU?  1) it cost more; 2) what for? IDA-8 is already powerful enough for its market position; 3) no space :)

Oops, I answered IDA-8 but IDA-16 is also the same. Oh, even more amazing is that the existing IDA-16 can be bridged with just one change on the circuit board to turn it into a mono amp with 500W. Engineer just told me today when I have meeting with him. Why do you do that, I asked? Just in case someday we want to offer another 500W bridgeable stereo amp to upgrade IDA-16? Probably. But there is no plan at this time. Anyway, my point is that the amp design is really good.