BDA-3 DAC

gbaby

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #920 on: 14 Nov 2017, 10:12 pm »
Look forward to reading it.
My Father-In-Law is a subscriber, hope he gets the issue soon

Rang, I remember you from the McIntosh MX-160 forum. If I recall, this unit does not support analog pass through. True?

The Rang

« Reply #921 on: 15 Nov 2017, 02:46 am »
McIntosh MX160
Doesn’t ring a bell, you sure it was me?
Regardless, don’t know if supports analog pass through.
Perhaps Mr.Tanner can elaborate

gbaby

« Reply #922 on: 15 Nov 2017, 02:10 pm »
McIntosh MX160
Doesn’t ring a bell, you sure it was me?
Regardless, don’t know if supports analog pass through.
Perhaps Mr.Tanner can elaborate

Sorry, I guess it is not you. There is a guy using the handle, "The Rang," on the McIntosh MX-160 forum for Avsforum. I thought you and he were the same person.  :oops: :o

Salakavald

« Reply #923 on: 16 Nov 2017, 05:01 pm »
Hi!

I got my dac just a few days ago and I have to say I could not be more happy. :) Connected with bp-26, 4b3 and Pmc Fact 8 it`s just sounds just soooo beautifully and even exceeded my expectations.

But I have one question: on my dac box and on the dac label I have a serial number 438 but when I connect bda-3 to network then it shows that my serial number is actually 436? How it`s possible? :) Thx.

Best,
Sven

ayang90

• Focal Sopra 2, Bryston BP17 Cubed, 4B Cubed, Direc
    • Linkedin Profile
« Reply #924 on: 23 Nov 2017, 03:50 pm »
Stereophile's Products of 2017 Editors' Choices of 2017

Bryston BDA-3 D/A processor makes the list! Congrats!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophiles-products-2017-editors-choices-2017

Grant Hill

« Reply #925 on: 23 Nov 2017, 11:16 pm »
Stereophile's Products of 2017 Editors' Choices of 2017
:thumb:
Bryston BDA-3 D/A processor makes the list! Congrats!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophiles-products-2017-editors-choices-2017
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The Rang

« Reply #926 on: 26 Nov 2017, 03:05 am »
I'm kind of disappointed the Bryston didn't do better on the Stereophile list.
They said the Mytek and the other DAC it tied with (whose name escapes me) were way ahead of the others which means the Bryston was at best a distant third.
Doesn't matter to me, I'm still buying one eventually

TJ-Sully

« Reply #927 on: 26 Nov 2017, 02:21 pm »
Hey Rang, the other top Stereophile digital component is Ayre Acoustics digital hub - at almost $9G!!
It is nice to see Stereophile reviewers state the BDA3 is the best sounding DAC ever heard in the listening room - and the reviewer is buying one! That says a helluva lot. Way to go Bryston!

Cheers TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #928 on: 26 Nov 2017, 02:54 pm »
Hi

Yes I think we all fight the concept - "If it costs more it must be better"  :)

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #929 on: 26 Nov 2017, 08:19 pm »
hey James, as Lena Horne would say...."Ain't it the truth" 

Bones13

« Reply #930 on: 26 Dec 2017, 06:22 pm »
Did some researching this weekend. Got a new 4K 60Hz HDR TV from Santa for the man cave. The BDA-3 has the one HDCP 2.2 port. As I want to use 2 4K sources - Roku + Oppo, and hope to hook up my PC @4K as well. I looked into options. I have a 2 speaker system, and a subwoofer that is fed speaker level input in my stereo system.

Other than paying a lot for a HDCP 2.2 (all ports) AV processor, there was not a lot to go on. And from the reading I did, it’s likely to change in 1-2 years anyway. I don’t need any 5.1 or above.

I opted for an HDMI switcher that allows 4 inputs, and 4 outputs, all ports are HDCP compliant. I will put in all 4 sources (add the cable box for now), and send one output to the TV, and one to the BDA-3.

Not as clean and neat as I was hoping. The advancement of Video standards will necessitate hardware changes frequently. I chose to move out of the box with the HDMI switching, as I see no way an audio company could keep up.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #931 on: 27 Dec 2017, 07:25 am »
Did some researching this weekend. Got a new 4K 60Hz HDR TV from Santa for the man cave....

I opted for an HDMI switcher that allows 4 inputs, and 4 outputs, all ports are HDCP compliant. I will put in all 4 sources (add the cable box for now), and send one output to the TV, and one to the BDA-3.

Many TVs accept HDMI in and allow you to send audio out over optical, which you could then connect to the BDA-3. Since you have a 2.1 setup, you wouldn't be losing any data converting from HDMI to S/PDIF. Was that not an option with your new TV? Your computer could run video over HDMI and audio over USB. And perhaps you would want to connect the OPPO directly if you have SACDs.

Edit: By direct connection of the OPPO I meant HDMI into the BDA-3 without going through the TV.
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2017, 05:35 pm by NekoAudio »

BSC

« Reply #932 on: 27 Dec 2017, 10:23 am »
Not entirely sure I fully understand the problem but I do use optical out from my TV to my BDA-3.

As for stereo replay especially on SACD if you are into the quality of stereo reproduction or music using the Oppo direct would be the wrong option-the Bryston is a good bit better than the 105. I have recently sold my Oppo 105 and went for a Sony UBP X-800 which is a better transport for music and less issues with the 105 which I found with my Sony TV had some HDMI handshakes issues with video whilst playing music.

Bones13

« Reply #933 on: 27 Dec 2017, 12:28 pm »
Something specific to my system makes using the TV as the HDMI selector difficult. My room is 9.5 x 14 feet in size. I have the TV, and amp+speakers on one of the short ends. The audio stack sits on the side back at the other end. I have long interconnects (blue Jean cables) to the amps, an a long HDMI (monoprice) to the TV. One of the things that really tugged me to the BDA-3 was the HDMI implantation.

Then I stepped into the HDCP 2.2 quagmire. I suspect that TV standards will continue to race along, I decided, right away, that audio companies just can’t be expected to keep up with that race. Not that it would hurt my feelings if a new board gets released that has all HDMI jacks supporting HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2.

I specifically got a switcher with more than 1 output so that all my current HDMI outputs get their sounds processed by the BDA-3. I’ll plug the extra output into the one HDCP 2.2 input on the BDA-3. All my hdmi will be that level, and none of the components should complain.

BSC

« Reply #934 on: 27 Dec 2017, 05:07 pm »
Something specific to my system makes using the TV as the HDMI selector difficult. My room is 9.5 x 14 feet in size. I have the TV, and amp+speakers on one of the short ends. The audio stack sits on the side back at the other end. I have long interconnects (blue Jean cables) to the amps, an a long HDMI (monoprice) to the TV. One of the things that really tugged me to the BDA-3 was the HDMI implantation.

Then I stepped into the HDCP 2.2 quagmire. I suspect that TV standards will continue to race along, I decided, right away, that audio companies just can’t be expected to keep up with that race. Not that it would hurt my feelings if a new board gets released that has all HDMI jacks supporting HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2.

I specifically got a switcher with more than 1 output so that all my current HDMI outputs get their sounds processed by the BDA-3. I’ll plug the extra output into the one HDCP 2.2 input on the BDA-3. All my hdmi will be that level, and none of the components should complain.

Yes I think the number of video inputs you use is unusual and personally I would have thought the Oppo itself or any universal player would allow you do just about everything on it-but I guess it depends on where your focus is-my system is mainly focused on music and the universal disc aspect with a passing interest on the odd movie/TV.

In terms of music the Bryston is special.

The Rang

« Reply #935 on: 11 Jan 2018, 05:20 am »
Are BDA3’s with blue LEDS readily available, does one just have to ask for the option when ordering from their dealer?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #936 on: 11 Jan 2018, 01:23 pm »
Are BDA3’s with blue LEDS readily available, does one just have to ask for the option when ordering from their dealer?

Hi Rang

Yes the Blue is an option so make sure you ask specifically when you order.  They are usually available within a week of ordering.

james

jhm731

« Reply #937 on: 15 Jan 2018, 11:29 pm »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2018, 07:53 pm by jhm731 »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #938 on: 16 Jan 2018, 12:32 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDA-3 DAC Review

January 2018

BRYSTON BDA-3 DAC REVIEW - CARLO LO RASO

Hi Folks

Please see below link to an outstanding and detailed review of our Bryston BDA-3 DAC.

“THE BRYSTON BDA-3 DAC is almost the perfect nexus of sonic and tactile excellence. You could spend more, but why?”

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/dac/bryston-bda-3-dac-review/

Favourite Quotes:

“If you want to hear it all, and I mean every last bit of it, plunk down your pocketbook on a Bryston BDA-3. You will not regret it.”

“These are examples of some of the measurements that I took to put the Line Linearity chart together. A series of fifteen measurements of a 24-bit, 1 kHz tone beginning at -20 dBFS and getting progressively lower in level to -150 dBFS were taken.

This defines “dead quiet.”

john1970

« Reply #939 on: 17 Feb 2018, 03:29 pm »
Just installed a new BDA3 DAC and I am very impressed by its flexibility and the sound.  The fact that I can now listed to my 200 or so SACDs in DSD through a world-class DAC via HDMI is an amazing benefit.  I am very glad that Bryston had the foresight to build a DAC that does SACD DSD decoding via HDMI.  Thank you very very much  :D :D

Please do not remove this feature in future DAC generations!!!

John